AMD Athlon ii x3 455 Cache Unlocking Help Please?

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
So recently I tried unlocking the fourth core to my CPU... It turned out that my 4th core was defective :pfff: but I read somewhere that you can unlock L3 Cache, is that possible on my CPU? If it is, how do I do it? I have a Xigmatek sd 1283 cooler so heat shouldnt be an issue. Also, could I get a somewhat "simple" guide on how to overclock my CPU? Any help would be great, thanks.

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
It depends on the core your Athlon 455 is based on. It could be a Deneb phenom die, with the AC at the end, or Propus, with AD.

More info here http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L3.html

Basically if your CPU uses the Propus core instead of the Deneb you're a bit stuffed. The Propus has no L3 cache. Are you sure the extra core is defective? Tried upping the voltage? Did you get sufficient cooling before?

Sometimes you have to put in a bit more voltage, you're running 4 cores instead of 3 so a bit more juice is needed.

Penley54

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
In CPU-Z it says I have a Rana? Is that another one or do I actually have to take out the CPU to figure it out? Also my CPU is defective because when I unlocked it, I couldnt boot into Windows.

kamotekid

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hi Sir,

Isn't it automatic that when you unlocked the 4th core, Vcore voltage should be up as well. I have the same CPU also however, when I unlocked it, temp went to 80C when booting to windows...one more thing, I checked the BIOS voltage for CPU, it's 1.12 compare to tricore which automatically changed to 1.46 when running x3 455 (3.3GHz). One thing also that I've noticed is that it doesn't go up more than 800MHz/core. That's the maximum per thread unlike with the regular x3 (3.313MHz/core) at full load. Any suggestions?

Latest posts