I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
have the following games.

1. FF I
2. FF II
3. FF IV
4. Chrono Tiger.

Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
the 3D.

Thanks,
Chris

If you can only play one of these, I would say FFIV is your best
choice. There are also good arguemnets for Chrono Trigger. The reason
is that the early FFs are not nearly as good as FFIV- a lot more of the
time there is required levelling (in the later FF games, I found that I
rarely needed to spend extra time just to gain experience and levels-
there are normally enough side quests and optional things to earn the
experience while actually accomplishing something.)_

Now, if you think you will have time for more than one game, then you
want to play FFIV and CT (for two games). If you will have time for
more than 2, then play FFI or FFII first, so that the games will
improve as you go through them. Going back from FFIV to FFI will
emphasize the problems in the earlier games too much.

Well, i could really recommend FF1&2. I play it on the GBA (which is
supposetly easier. But i really like it the games. Altough the final
boss requieres time and leveling.
Currently i played X (which was awesome) and now X-2.
On my list are still all the the other ones (Anthology, Chronotricker,
8). 7 & 9 i have also waiting to be played.
By the way, X requieres me to play for 67 hours. 1&2 are about 20-30
hours.

On 11 Sep 2005 06:25:07 -0700, "The Qurqirish Dragon"
<qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

>If you can only play one of these, I would say FFIV is your best
>choice. There are also good arguemnets for Chrono Trigger. The reason
>is that the early FFs are not nearly as good as FFIV- a lot more of the
>time there is required levelling (in the later FF games, I found that I
>rarely needed to spend extra time just to gain experience and levels-
>there are normally enough side quests and optional things to earn the
>experience while actually accomplishing something.)_
>
>Now, if you think you will have time for more than one game, then you
>want to play FFIV and CT (for two games). If you will have time for
>more than 2, then play FFI or FFII first, so that the games will
>improve as you go through them. Going back from FFIV to FFI will
>emphasize the problems in the earlier games too much.

Bye
Joerg

--
You are so stylish, you are so vain
Sometimes I think you have no brain

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

> You are so stylish, you are so vain
> Sometimes I think you have no brain

Best order for running on PS2:

FFI
FFII
FFIV
FFV
FFVI
FFI and FFII can be found on one disc, same as FFIV and FFV.

FFVI is FFIII but with FMV specially made for the PS1, (so you'll never find
FFIII on the PS1.)
This is the end of the 2D versions of the game, all prior to FFVII were
ported from the SNES.

FFVII, (brilliant.)
FFVIII
FFVIX
This is the last of the PS1 versions, after this it's all specifically for
the PS2.

FFX
FFX-2, (not to be confused with FFXII to be released sometime next year.)
It was called X-2 because it was the second part to FFX, the first time a FF
game had a game follow the same story.

HTH

Paggle

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:35:18 +0100, NeXuS wrote:

> FFI and FFII can be found on one disc, same as FFIV and FFV.

My disk was FFIV + Chrono Tiger. Is Chrono Tiger the same as FFV?

No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
FF package- although it is still a great game!)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:56:10 -0700, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

> No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
> not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
> FF package- although it is still a great game!)

My confusion come with the fact that I originally thought that
each version came after the previous. Based on posts
here there are some versions that are simply re-releases of
an older version with some changes.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:56:10 -0700, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

> (I have no idea why they included it with a
> FF package- although it is still a great game!)

Probably the same reason some "Greatest Hits" CDs include songs that we
don't think belong. If every good song was on one album there would
be no reason to create another "GH" album later. By doing it that
way they can guarantee that the next 2 game pack would sell.

Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>My confusion come with the fact that I originally thought that
>each version came after the previous. Based on posts
>here there are some versions that are simply re-releases of
>an older version with some changes.

The Final Fantasy games were all originally released in Japan and
then brought to America, but some games in the series were skipped.
So people wouldn't think they were missing anything, the numbers were
changed when the games were released in America. When the first Final
Fantasy game for the PlayStation was released, Final Fantasy VII, they
decided that it was better to keep the numbers the same. So ever since
then Final Fantasy games have had the same number in both their Japanese
version and their American version. This includes older games when they
got rereleased for the PlayStation.

Here's a little conversion chart for all the Final Fantasy games
originally released on the NES or SNES.

- Japan - ------ English ------
NES/SNES PlayStation
FF I FF I FF I
FF II n/a FF II
FF III n/a n/a
FF IV FF II FF IV
FF V n/a FF V
FF VI FF III FF VI

"n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
English.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:

> "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
> Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
> English.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
released.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:

> "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
> Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
> English.

Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
released.

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

"The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
> No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
> not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
> FF package- although it is still a great game!)

I think I've seen that package around, think it was something like a best of
Square. Google it, I may be wrong.

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

"Chris Fowler" <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:
>
>> "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
>> Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
>> English.
>

> Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
> Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
> games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
> so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
> my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
> play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
> released.

Tbh, they're all good, (I've not played VIII or VIX though.)

Even FFIII brought a lump to my throat the first time I played it.

Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
>an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
>released.

I believe Final Fantasy I and II, together on one cartridge, are the only
Final Fantasy games to be released in English for the GameBoy Advance.
There were some "Final Fantasy" games for the old black and white
GameBoy, but they were really only Final Fantasy games in name only.
In anycase, they won't work on a Nintendo DS, even if you were able to
find them today.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
db //

Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comnospam> wrote:

> Probably the same reason some "Greatest Hits" CDs include songs that we
> don't think belong. If every good song was on one album there would
> be no reason to create another "GH" album later. By doing it that
> way they can guarantee that the next 2 game pack would sell.

It was a "best of Square" type of thing. Square is the company that
produced both the Final Fantasy and the Chrono Trigger games.

Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comnospam> wrote:

> Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
> Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
> games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
> so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
> my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
> play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
> released.

Many have their favorite. FFVII was amazing, considering what FF6 was
like. I personally didn't like FFVIII at all, but loved FFIX. I have not
yet played FFX or its sequel, FFX-2. FFXI is online-only, so I skipped it.

So far, my personal favorite is FFVI.

NeXuS wrote:
> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> >
> > I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
> >
> > <=[BC]=>
> >
> There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have to
> find hard evidence of which is which.
>
> Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and V
> were never *officially* released in the US.
> They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the SNES.
>
> I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.
>
> So PS1 releases would be: .....
> FFI
> FFII
> FFIV
> FFV
> FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
> FFVII
> FFVIII
> FFIX.
>
> If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say otherwise?
>
> Paggle

Someone already posted a conversion chart, but basically, it goes this
way:
On the SNES, the US FF2 is the Japanese FF4 easy type. The US FF3 is
the Japanese FF6.
Every other US release of a NUMBERED Final Fantasy game is the same as
Japanese version with the same number. I believe that FF4 for the PS1
is FF4 Hard type.

UNNUMBERED FF games in the US were not necessarily called Final Fantasy
in Japan. (for example, Final Fantasy Adventures for the Game Boy was
called something else in Japan- the name escapes me at the moment)

> NeXuS wrote:
>> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
>> >
>> > <=[BC]=>
>> >
>> There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have
>> find hard evidence of which is which.
>>
>> Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and
>> were never *officially* released in the US.
>> They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the
>> SNES.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.
>>
>> So PS1 releases would be: .....
>> FFI
>> FFII
>> FFIV
>> FFV
>> FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
>> FFVII
>> FFVIII
>> FFIX.
>>
>> If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say
>> otherwise?
>>
>> Paggle
>
> Someone already posted a conversion chart, but basically, it goes this
> way:
> On the SNES, the US FF2 is the Japanese FF4 easy type. The US FF3 is
> the Japanese FF6.
> Every other US release of a NUMBERED Final Fantasy game is the same as
> Japanese version with the same number. I believe that FF4 for the PS1
> is FF4 Hard type.
>
> UNNUMBERED FF games in the US were not necessarily called Final Fantasy
> in Japan. (for example, Final Fantasy Adventures for the Game Boy was
> called something else in Japan- the name escapes me at the moment)

It just strikes me as strange why they had to confuse everyone. lol

In article <dg58dn$28c$2@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>,
Ross Ridge <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>>Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
>>an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
>>released.
>
>I believe Final Fantasy I and II, together on one cartridge, are the only
>Final Fantasy games to be released in English for the GameBoy Advance.
>There were some "Final Fantasy" games for the old black and white
>GameBoy, but they were really only Final Fantasy games in name only.
>In anycase, they won't work on a Nintendo DS, even if you were able to
>find them today.

IIRC for those old Gameboy games, "Final Fantasy Adventure" was the first
Seiken Dentetsu(sp) aka the "prequel" to Secret of Mana. "Final Fantasy
Legend" was the original SaGa series.

==========
Steve Liu
"There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way." - Homer
"Isn't that the wrong way?" - Bart
"Yes, but faster."

bc4

>I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
> Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
> this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
> about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
> have the following games.
>
> 1. FF I
> 2. FF II
> 3. FF IV
> 4. Chrono Tiger.
>
> Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
> to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
> interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
> the 3D.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...

<=[BC]=>

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

> "Chris Fowler" <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>>I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
>> Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
>> this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
>> about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
>> have the following games.
>>
>> 1. FF I
>> 2. FF II
>> 3. FF IV
>> 4. Chrono Tiger.
>>
>> Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
>> to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
>> interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
>> the 3D.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>

> I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
>
> <=[BC]=>

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have to
find hard evidence of which is which.

Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and V
were never *officially* released in the US.
They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the SNES.

I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.

So PS1 releases would be: .....
FFI
FFII
FFIV
FFV
FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX.

If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say otherwise?

Paggle

They knew that "Final Fantasy" sold well, so they slapped that name on
everything. I would much have preferred the other series names.
Particularly since later, when the other series kept their original
names, I didn't know that they were games I would like! (of course, I
read boxes and so on, so I still picked up many of them :)

If you ask what FF game was this best you will get views for all of them. I
like FFX the best but just barely. Like FF 7, FF 8 , FF 9, FF 10 ,FF 11 and
the Movie. Did not care for FF 10X2 since it continued 10 sort of and it
blow the FF standard of each Final Fantasy being a FINAL fantasy. That is
what makes FF special each is a new adventure. And looking forward to the
fresh story of FF 12 think it will come out around same time as the PS3 due
to the director having to leave for family reasons.

> Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
> Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
> games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
> so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
> my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
> play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
> released.

Sephiroth2k8

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
People all say final fantasy 7 is the best but i personally liked final fantasy 8.. the characters and story were awesome i dont see why some people dont like it that much... ff7 was a little boring to me...

i wasnt a big fan of final fantasy games i played a demo for ff8 like abou 5 or 6 years ago then like 2 years ago i though hmm i liked the music to ff8 so i decided to buy ff8 after playing it i became hooked on it and started playing other ff games such as 7 and 10

DarK-ClouD

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
FF package- although it is still a great game!)

Well keep in mind dat they are both squaresoft gamez....maybe it was those special game packz

Well i would say FF1 or 2 I have them and they are great and when u play the game, tym doesnt matter u will lose track of tym :)

FF7 for me was the best FF8 was too limiting all da character were the same except for the limit breaks.

FF7 was a just a great game all round in all aspects of an rpg. :D

Latest posts