Which Final Fantasy

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
have the following games.

1. FF I
2. FF II
3. FF IV
4. Chrono Tiger.

Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
the 3D.

Thanks,
Chris
24 answers Last reply
More about which final fantasy
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    If you can only play one of these, I would say FFIV is your best
    choice. There are also good arguemnets for Chrono Trigger. The reason
    is that the early FFs are not nearly as good as FFIV- a lot more of the
    time there is required levelling (in the later FF games, I found that I
    rarely needed to spend extra time just to gain experience and levels-
    there are normally enough side quests and optional things to earn the
    experience while actually accomplishing something.)_

    Now, if you think you will have time for more than one game, then you
    want to play FFIV and CT (for two games). If you will have time for
    more than 2, then play FFI or FFII first, so that the games will
    improve as you go through them. Going back from FFIV to FFI will
    emphasize the problems in the earlier games too much.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Well, i could really recommend FF1&2. I play it on the GBA (which is
    supposetly easier. But i really like it the games. Altough the final
    boss requieres time and leveling.
    Currently i played X (which was awesome) and now X-2.
    On my list are still all the the other ones (Anthology, Chronotricker,
    8). 7 & 9 i have also waiting to be played.
    By the way, X requieres me to play for 67 hours. 1&2 are about 20-30
    hours.

    On 11 Sep 2005 06:25:07 -0700, "The Qurqirish Dragon"
    <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

    >If you can only play one of these, I would say FFIV is your best
    >choice. There are also good arguemnets for Chrono Trigger. The reason
    >is that the early FFs are not nearly as good as FFIV- a lot more of the
    >time there is required levelling (in the later FF games, I found that I
    >rarely needed to spend extra time just to gain experience and levels-
    >there are normally enough side quests and optional things to earn the
    >experience while actually accomplishing something.)_
    >
    >Now, if you think you will have time for more than one game, then you
    >want to play FFIV and CT (for two games). If you will have time for
    >more than 2, then play FFI or FFII first, so that the games will
    >improve as you go through them. Going back from FFIV to FFI will
    >emphasize the problems in the earlier games too much.

    Bye
    Joerg

    --
    You are so stylish, you are so vain
    Sometimes I think you have no brain
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > You are so stylish, you are so vain
    > Sometimes I think you have no brain

    Best order for running on PS2:

    FFI
    FFII
    FFIV
    FFV
    FFVI
    FFI and FFII can be found on one disc, same as FFIV and FFV.

    FFVI is FFIII but with FMV specially made for the PS1, (so you'll never find
    FFIII on the PS1.)
    This is the end of the 2D versions of the game, all prior to FFVII were
    ported from the SNES.

    FFVII, (brilliant.)
    FFVIII
    FFVIX
    This is the last of the PS1 versions, after this it's all specifically for
    the PS2.

    FFX
    FFX-2, (not to be confused with FFXII to be released sometime next year.)
    It was called X-2 because it was the second part to FFX, the first time a FF
    game had a game follow the same story.

    HTH

    Paggle
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:35:18 +0100, NeXuS wrote:

    > FFI and FFII can be found on one disc, same as FFIV and FFV.

    My disk was FFIV + Chrono Tiger. Is Chrono Tiger the same as FFV?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
    not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
    FF package- although it is still a great game!)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:56:10 -0700, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

    > No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
    > not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
    > FF package- although it is still a great game!)

    My confusion come with the fact that I originally thought that
    each version came after the previous. Based on posts
    here there are some versions that are simply re-releases of
    an older version with some changes.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:56:10 -0700, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:

    > (I have no idea why they included it with a
    > FF package- although it is still a great game!)

    Probably the same reason some "Greatest Hits" CDs include songs that we
    don't think belong. If every good song was on one album there would
    be no reason to create another "GH" album later. By doing it that
    way they can guarantee that the next 2 game pack would sell.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
    >My confusion come with the fact that I originally thought that
    >each version came after the previous. Based on posts
    >here there are some versions that are simply re-releases of
    >an older version with some changes.

    The Final Fantasy games were all originally released in Japan and
    then brought to America, but some games in the series were skipped.
    So people wouldn't think they were missing anything, the numbers were
    changed when the games were released in America. When the first Final
    Fantasy game for the PlayStation was released, Final Fantasy VII, they
    decided that it was better to keep the numbers the same. So ever since
    then Final Fantasy games have had the same number in both their Japanese
    version and their American version. This includes older games when they
    got rereleased for the PlayStation.

    Here's a little conversion chart for all the Final Fantasy games
    originally released on the NES or SNES.

    - Japan - ------ English ------
    NES/SNES PlayStation
    FF I FF I FF I
    FF II n/a FF II
    FF III n/a n/a
    FF IV FF II FF IV
    FF V n/a FF V
    FF VI FF III FF VI

    "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
    Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
    English.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    db //
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:

    > "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
    > Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
    > English.


    Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
    Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
    games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
    so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
    my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
    play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
    released.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:

    >>
    > "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
    > Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
    > English.
    >
    >

    Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
    an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
    released.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:1126529770.083807.293220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
    > not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
    > FF package- although it is still a great game!)
    >
    I think I've seen that package around, think it was something like a best of
    Square. Google it, I may be wrong.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Chris Fowler" <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    news:pan.2005.09.12.15.25.13.175738@linxdev.comNOSPAM...
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:42:41 +0000, Ross Ridge wrote:
    >
    >> "n/a" means that the game was never released in English on that platform.
    >> Notably, Final Fantasty III has never been officially translated into
    >> English.
    >
    >
    > Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
    > Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
    > games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
    > so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
    > my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
    > play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
    > released.
    >
    Tbh, they're all good, (I've not played VIII or VIX though.)

    Even FFIII brought a lump to my throat the first time I played it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
    >Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
    >an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
    >released.

    I believe Final Fantasy I and II, together on one cartridge, are the only
    Final Fantasy games to be released in English for the GameBoy Advance.
    There were some "Final Fantasy" games for the old black and white
    GameBoy, but they were really only Final Fantasy games in name only.
    In anycase, they won't work on a Nintendo DS, even if you were able to
    find them today.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    db //
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comnospam> wrote:

    > Probably the same reason some "Greatest Hits" CDs include songs that we
    > don't think belong. If every good song was on one album there would
    > be no reason to create another "GH" album later. By doing it that
    > way they can guarantee that the next 2 game pack would sell.

    It was a "best of Square" type of thing. Square is the company that
    produced both the Final Fantasy and the Chrono Trigger games.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comnospam> wrote:

    > Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
    > Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
    > games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
    > so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
    > my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
    > play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
    > released.

    Many have their favorite. FFVII was amazing, considering what FF6 was
    like. I personally didn't like FFVIII at all, but loved FFIX. I have not
    yet played FFX or its sequel, FFX-2. FFXI is online-only, so I skipped it.

    So far, my personal favorite is FFVI.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    NeXuS wrote:
    > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    > news:dg6egj$h7l$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > >
    > > I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
    > >
    > > <=[BC]=>
    > >
    > There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have to
    > find hard evidence of which is which.
    >
    > Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and V
    > were never *officially* released in the US.
    > They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the SNES.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.
    >
    > So PS1 releases would be: .....
    > FFI
    > FFII
    > FFIV
    > FFV
    > FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
    > FFVII
    > FFVIII
    > FFIX.
    >
    > If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say otherwise?
    >
    > Paggle

    Someone already posted a conversion chart, but basically, it goes this
    way:
    On the SNES, the US FF2 is the Japanese FF4 easy type. The US FF3 is
    the Japanese FF6.
    Every other US release of a NUMBERED Final Fantasy game is the same as
    Japanese version with the same number. I believe that FF4 for the PS1
    is FF4 Hard type.

    UNNUMBERED FF games in the US were not necessarily called Final Fantasy
    in Japan. (for example, Final Fantasy Adventures for the Game Boy was
    called something else in Japan- the name escapes me at the moment)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
    news:1126618185.594888.13730@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > NeXuS wrote:
    >> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    >> news:dg6egj$h7l$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    >> >
    >> > I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
    >> >
    >> > <=[BC]=>
    >> >
    >> There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have
    >> to
    >> find hard evidence of which is which.
    >>
    >> Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and
    >> V
    >> were never *officially* released in the US.
    >> They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the
    >> SNES.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.
    >>
    >> So PS1 releases would be: .....
    >> FFI
    >> FFII
    >> FFIV
    >> FFV
    >> FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
    >> FFVII
    >> FFVIII
    >> FFIX.
    >>
    >> If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say
    >> otherwise?
    >>
    >> Paggle
    >
    > Someone already posted a conversion chart, but basically, it goes this
    > way:
    > On the SNES, the US FF2 is the Japanese FF4 easy type. The US FF3 is
    > the Japanese FF6.
    > Every other US release of a NUMBERED Final Fantasy game is the same as
    > Japanese version with the same number. I believe that FF4 for the PS1
    > is FF4 Hard type.
    >
    > UNNUMBERED FF games in the US were not necessarily called Final Fantasy
    > in Japan. (for example, Final Fantasy Adventures for the Game Boy was
    > called something else in Japan- the name escapes me at the moment)
    >
    It just strikes me as strange why they had to confuse everyone. lol
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <dg58dn$28c$2@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>,
    Ross Ridge <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
    >Chris Fowler <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote:
    >>Ross can you tell me what versions are what on the GBA. I have
    >>an NDS and may pick up one of the GBA carts that have been
    >>released.
    >
    >I believe Final Fantasy I and II, together on one cartridge, are the only
    >Final Fantasy games to be released in English for the GameBoy Advance.
    >There were some "Final Fantasy" games for the old black and white
    >GameBoy, but they were really only Final Fantasy games in name only.
    >In anycase, they won't work on a Nintendo DS, even if you were able to
    >find them today.

    IIRC for those old Gameboy games, "Final Fantasy Adventure" was the first
    Seiken Dentetsu(sp) aka the "prequel" to Secret of Mana. "Final Fantasy
    Legend" was the original SaGa series.

    ==========
    Steve Liu
    "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way." - Homer
    "Isn't that the wrong way?" - Bart
    "Yes, but faster."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Chris Fowler" <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    news:pan.2005.09.10.22.59.01.648506@linxdev.comNOSPAM...
    >I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
    > Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
    > this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
    > about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
    > have the following games.
    >
    > 1. FF I
    > 2. FF II
    > 3. FF IV
    > 4. Chrono Tiger.
    >
    > Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
    > to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
    > interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
    > the 3D.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris
    >

    I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...

    <=[BC]=>
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    news:dg6egj$h7l$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    >
    > "Chris Fowler" <cfowler@linxdev.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2005.09.10.22.59.01.648506@linxdev.comNOSPAM...
    >>I picked up FF Origins at the store and thought I'd give it a try.
    >> Back when it first came out my room mate would spend hours playing
    >> this game. Normally I hate turn-based fighting but something
    >> about this game draws me in. Maybe the simplicity? Anyway I
    >> have the following games.
    >>
    >> 1. FF I
    >> 2. FF II
    >> 3. FF IV
    >> 4. Chrono Tiger.
    >>
    >> Should I continue with I or jump to IV. I do not have the time
    >> to play them all I just want to play the best one. I'm more
    >> interested in trying out the 2D versions before even looking at
    >> the 3D.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Chris
    >>
    >
    > I think the US IV is the same as the Japanese III... I THINK...
    >
    > <=[BC]=>
    >
    There seems to be a lot of confusion over this, someone is going to have to
    find hard evidence of which is which.

    Another thing, I was always under the assumption that the Japanese IV and V
    were never *officially* released in the US.
    They did exist, but they were translated, (and not by square,) on the SNES.

    I'm pretty sure they did get a proper US release, but only on the PS1.

    So PS1 releases would be: .....
    FFI
    FFII
    FFIV
    FFV
    FFVI, (Which IS the same as the SNES FFIII.)
    FFVII
    FFVIII
    FFIX.

    If I am wrong, could someone point me to a Square site that say otherwise?

    Paggle
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    They knew that "Final Fantasy" sold well, so they slapped that name on
    everything. I would much have preferred the other series names.
    Particularly since later, when the other series kept their original
    names, I didn't know that they were games I would like! (of course, I
    read boxes and so on, so I still picked up many of them :-)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    If you ask what FF game was this best you will get views for all of them. I
    like FFX the best but just barely. Like FF 7, FF 8 , FF 9, FF 10 ,FF 11 and
    the Movie. Did not care for FF 10X2 since it continued 10 sort of and it
    blow the FF standard of each Final Fantasy being a FINAL fantasy. That is
    what makes FF special each is a new adventure. And looking forward to the
    fresh story of FF 12 think it will come out around same time as the PS3 due
    to the director having to leave for family reasons.


    > Thank you sir. I appreciate the chart. I'll me placing in my
    > Analog PDA or PAA (Little notebook). For some odd reason these
    > games are starting to draw me in. Could be the game play being
    > so good. I'll try and pick these up used as I see them at
    > my local Gamestop. Did someone mention that the best one to
    > play was FFVII? Of course I'll take a break as soon as Sly 3 is
    > released.
  23. People all say final fantasy 7 is the best but i personally liked final fantasy 8.. the characters and story were awesome i dont see why some people dont like it that much... ff7 was a little boring to me...

    i wasnt a big fan of final fantasy games i played a demo for ff8 like abou 5 or 6 years ago then like 2 years ago i though hmm i liked the music to ff8 so i decided to buy ff8 after playing it i became hooked on it and started playing other ff games such as 7 and 10
  24. Quote:
    No, he was mistaken. FFV and FFVI come in one set. Chrono Trigger is
    not a Final Fantasy game. (I have no idea why they included it with a
    FF package- although it is still a great game!)


    Well keep in mind dat they are both squaresoft gamez....maybe it was those special game packz

    Well i would say FF1 or 2 I have them and they are great and when u play the game, tym doesnt matter u will lose track of tym :)


    FF7 for me was the best FF8 was too limiting all da character were the same except for the limit breaks.

    FF7 was a just a great game all round in all aspects of an rpg. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming Final Fantasy Games Video Games