Coverage in Dominican Republic

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

My parents are going to Dominican Republic in a week, and I need to know
whether they will need triband phones. T-Mobile USA site lists only Orange
as the roaming partner there, and their frequency is listed as 1900/1800
MHz. Do they really run their network in both these bands over there? Are
there any other operators?

--

\/ L /\ D
3 answers Last reply

    Vlad Andreyev wrote:
    > My parents are going to Dominican Republic in a week, and I need to know
    > whether they will need triband phones. T-Mobile USA site lists only Orange
    > as the roaming partner there, and their frequency is listed as 1900/1800
    > MHz. Do they really run their network in both these bands over there? Are
    > there any other operators?

    Apparently not:

    http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/dominicana.html

    and....

    Orange Dominicana S.A. - Roaming Partners

    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/roa_dotp.shtml

    United States

    Cingular Wireless GSM 1900

    T-Mobile USA, Inc GSM 1900

    AT&T Wireless PCS LLC (Cingular Wireless)GSM 850/1900
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    > Vlad Andreyev wrote:
    >
    >> My parents are going to Dominican Republic in a week, and I need to
    >> know whether they will need triband phones. T-Mobile USA site lists
    >> only Orange as the roaming partner there, and their frequency is
    >> listed as 1900/1800 MHz. Do they really run their network in both
    >> these bands over there? Are there any other operators?

    I'm sure it depends where exactly they're going. I had a fairly strong
    Orange signal from Puerto Plata to Cabarete, but I had a tri-band phone
    so I'm not sure if it was on 1900 or 1800 MHz.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    I´ve been to the Dominican Republic (went to Bayahibe) in december 2004 and
    i had a GSM 900/1800 dualband telephone and it worked perfect on Orange.
    Orange is the only operator and it´s running a 1800/1900 network.

    Bye

    "Diane Selwyn" <diane.selwynNOSPAM@backpacker.com> schreef in bericht

    >> Vlad Andreyev wrote:
    >>
    >>> My parents are going to Dominican Republic in a week, and I need to know
    >>> whether they will need triband phones. T-Mobile USA site lists only
    >>> Orange as the roaming partner there, and their frequency is listed as
    >>> 1900/1800 MHz. Do they really run their network in both these bands
    >>> over there? Are there any other operators?
    >
    > I'm sure it depends where exactly they're going. I had a fairly strong
    > Orange signal from Puerto Plata to Cabarete, but I had a tri-band phone so
    > I'm not sure if it was on 1900 or 1800 MHz.

GSM