Will this PSU support my build...

Xerophos

Honorable
May 22, 2012
So what's the difference between peak and continuous?
I was told this would handle 550w easily, since 450 is it's continuous rate and not it's peak. Of course all of my parts won't be at full potential constantly, but with gaming they'll be pretty close.

As long as it's less than $60 and is high quality, I'm fine with it, but be sure, guys. Don't want to mess up any other parts on one bad decision.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Peak power can only be sustained for several seconds
It's not something that should be of much concern unless the psu you happen to be looking at is rated according to it's peak power rather than it's max continuous output

"Peak" is also being used in a different manner now because better quality power supplies can provide more power than the label states for extended periods of time
In this review of the 600 watt Silencer the overload test showed it could provide over 700 watts
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/PC-Power-and-Cooling-Silencer-Mk-III-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1432/9
HWS used to make a habit of telling people that they were getting higher wattage power supplies than the label claimed
It's nice to know that good quality power supplies can provide more power than the label claim's but it shouldn't be the reason for buying one, they have been given thier rating for a reason

Xerophos

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Alright, so suggestions for a $65 or less PSU that can properly support this, then?
Preferably something of a trusted brand. If you can, go 50-100 watts higher, I want to be careful.

D

Deleted member 217926

Hard to beat the Seasonic made, modular PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III I linked to above.

If you want to look around stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone, Enermax, XFX, OCZ and Antec for the best units.

Xerophos

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I'm really not sure what an alternative would be, the MK III 600w is $90 without the 10% deal, and I wouldn't have enough for it. I don't even think I have enough for the 500w version of that, since it isn't free shipping. No point in paying more for less

D

Deleted member 217926

The Corsair is $79 after rebate. The 500w PC Power and Cooling is $59 after rebate. 500 is fine for your listed system. 600 is not enough for future Crossfire but the 650w Corsair is.

Xerophos

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I mean right now the price is already more than I have, and I'm gonna have to get about $50 more. Won't be that hard, but I don't want to go above 1150, currently at 1147. It may mean more money in the long run, but I'm not really concerned about that, (note that I'm 16, already have a car, and don't have that big of a use for money yet) I'll still be getting like 70 in rebates anyways.

Unless there's a more trusted/high quality PSU(for nearly the same front price) or you really think the one I already picked is unstable and possibly risky to buy, I'm going to keep it the same.

D

Deleted member 217926

Oh thats fine. Plenty of power and very high quality. You can even add a second HD 6870 with that one. I thought you meant that Rosewill.

Why were you thinking of replacing the Corsair with the Rosewill in the first place?

Xerophos

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I had the Rosewill as my choice(recommended by a friend) in the beginning of this thread, but I eventually decided not.

I switched fans, thanks for that. The cooler on that 520 is AMAZING, but the fan is really lacking. 212 EVO will actually perform a bit better considering that. The 520 would do better with a higher overclock I guess, but I'm not going high, doesn't mean much to me besides load times.