Sign in with
Your question

ATI Raedon HD 6870 1GB Weird Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2011 4:37:23 AM

Happy holidays everyone. I know this may seem like a silly question but i went over to system requirement labs website
test how many games i can run. When i ran it, it told me i had over 700MB as stated in the graphic below.

I got the card a few days ago. Could this be a power supply issue? I have a
550W power supply.
Three Hard Drives (SATA)
1 92mm LED fan 2 120mm LED fans
Sapphire Raedon HD 6870 1GB (needs two PCI express connectors)
__

I plan on buying a Corsair 850w power supply soon as possible..

Thanks in advance, hope I'm not becoming a annoying pest here lol

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:42:11 AM

I'm just going to assume its a problem with their website.

Don't worry about what that says. Worry about what REAL software says, like GPU-z. See what that says, and then find out if there is a problem.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:42:12 AM

Which PSU is that?
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2011 4:46:50 AM

refillable said:
Which PSU is that?

Oh i forgot to enter in my PSU sorry bout that!
It's an Antec Truepower II 550w

Would a new power supply help me with performance? I have the latest drivers
And when i play Everquest II on the same settings as my old Sapphire 5700GB 1GB
I get more framerate than the new card this is weird... So that's what made me think
that my new card was really pushing 743MB.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:47:54 AM

The psu has nothing to do with determineing how much RAM you have, or what the software will say you have.
The problem is the website.
As far as games are concerned, that card is good enough to run just about anything that is out there.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 4:51:03 AM

You don't need a new power supply. That Antec Truepower 550w is plenty and a decent PSU.
m
l
December 9, 2011 4:51:48 AM

memadmax said:
The psu has nothing to do with determineing how much RAM you have, or what the software will say you have.
The problem is the website.
As far as games are concerned, that card is good enough to run just about anything that is out there.

I've been acknowledged about the site, just was thinking i've had hardware issues.
Because i know my card is supposed to perform better than it is now.
Especially when i play Everquest II like on medium settings i get like 25-40FPS (in some areas)
My Old 5770 1GB i was running about 40-60FPS (in some areas)

Helltech said:
You don't need a new power supply. That Antec Truepower 550w is plenty and a decent PSU.

Hmm... I really don't know I'm going to be getting a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T next month i know this is out of topic and i apologize about that
But it does require 125watts.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:15:45 AM

i just bought that same card from newegg last night. il update the thread to tell you how mine performs when it arrives.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:17:28 AM

computadoro said:
i just bought that same card from newegg last night. il update the thread to tell you how mine performs when it arrives.

Awesome! Thanks bro!!
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 5:19:41 AM

That is a fine PSU. Try using GPUZ because sometimes these site are buggy and glitching
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:28:31 AM

refillable said:
That is a fine PSU. Try using GPUZ because sometimes these site are buggy and glitching

Ah sweet program reminds me of CPU-Z

I see the 1GB so that's correct just have no clue why the performance is so
bad, i forgot to mention i also installed 4x4GB 16GB Corsair Vengence LP
hopefully that's not the cause.

Also

I'm Starting to like this app already tells me the current temps and everything.
So are 109.4F/95F/98F safe temps? i have my GPU fan cranked up to 100%
Just checking to be safe..
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 5:38:24 AM

Glad you solved your problem :)  :)  :)  :) 

And why your game is lagging behind 5770 because it is not good for your 6870 :) 
Have you try updating drivers? It may boost your fps in your game.
m
l
December 9, 2011 5:42:53 AM

refillable said:
Glad you solved your problem :)  :)  :)  :) 

And why your game is lagging behind 5770 because it is not good for your 6870 :) 

Yeah thanks alot bro for all your help.

Still trying to figure out why my old 5770 performed better on EQ II and BF 2 on 18 player servers...
I got to figure out something though. :) 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2011 5:45:42 AM

THAVICIOUS1 said:
Yeah thanks alot bro for all your help.

Still trying to figure out why my old 5770 performed better on EQ II and BF 2 on 18 player servers...
I got to figure out something though. :) 

Try tweaking the GPU in Catalyst control centre and try Updating drivers.
m
l
December 9, 2011 8:56:42 PM

refillable said:
Try tweaking the GPU in Catalyst control centre and try Updating drivers.

I tried that, i have the latest cat drivers, don't know why BF3 & EQII perform so bad, hopefully AMD release 11.12 soon.
Think it could be my Processor? It's a AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 2.7GHz.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2011 1:55:22 AM

THAVICIOUS1 said:
I tried that, i have the latest cat drivers, don't know why BF3 & EQII perform so bad, hopefully AMD release 11.12 soon.
Think it could be my Processor? It's a AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 2.7GHz.

It could be, which model is it? I might give you some tips of overclocking. Because there is a pretty high chance that X3 bottlenecks the 6800 Radeon series. Because they are a mid to low class phenom :) . Overclocking might help so. If you want to upgrade your processor it is recommended also for fps boost. Take a look at x4 955 BE.
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:26:03 AM

refillable said:
It could be, which model is it? I might give you some tips of overclocking. Because there is a pretty high chance that X3 bottlenecks the 6800 Radeon series. Because they are a mid to low class phenom :) . Overclocking might help so. If you want to upgrade your processor it is recommended also for fps boost. Take a look at x4 955 BE.

Hmm i never really thought about that! You need the model name of my video card? If so its a
Sapphire Raedon HD 6870 1GB. I actually planned on getting a AMD Phenom X6 3.3GHz next month
So hopefully by next month i see video card improvements. (hopefully)
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2011 3:28:32 AM

THAVICIOUS1 said:
Hmm i never really thought about that! You need the model name of my video card? If so its a
Sapphire Raedon HD 6870 1GB. I actually planned on getting a AMD Phenom X6 3.3GHz next month
So hopefully by next month i see video card improvements. (hopefully)

You might overclock your current CPU to make sure that the CPU is actually the problem. That is why I asked which x3 model is your CPU.
m
l
December 10, 2011 8:34:34 AM

refillable said:
You might overclock your current CPU to make sure that the CPU is actually the problem. That is why I asked which x3 model is your CPU.

Ah okay, i have a AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz. I tried to overclock my processor before but in BIOS but
don't know how to do it manually, i've done an overclock profile on my old board though i am familiar with that.
By the way if you need the name of my Board it's a ASUS M4A78XTD EVO. I only thing i may think that i know is
To configure the CPU Ratio and FSB i think, i seen something like that in the past on Youtube.com
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2011 10:04:52 AM

Overclocking in BIOS Manually in ASUS motherboard is actually simple. You Increase the FSB(Base Clock or BLCK). For example the multiplier was 14x and BCLK was 200Mhz, It would run at 2.7Ghz. When you change the BCLK to 250Mhz, the Processor will run at 3.5Ghz, etc. You can also change the multiplier for a better Overclocking results. But, you need to have a Black Edition Processor. I don't think your processor had these Black Edition ability so You can't change the multiplier.

Now here is a review of your processor. Here they show us how they Overclock it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X3_425...

Your processor seems to have 13.5x Multiplier. You might set the BCLK to 260Mhz to Get your processor run at 3.5Ghz. But Don't straight go on 260. Try slowly at 210, then 220, etc. You go higher, but If you feel your system bad then you must to lower it by 5. If you find your system crashing then Reboot it.

Hope this help.

Because here I just do explanation really simple (I didn't explain setting voltages, etc), check this out also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpwcQH-AATE and see how they do Overclocking in the BIOS manually.

You might also try using AMD Overdrive Utility. Here is a tutorial:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...
m
l
December 10, 2011 10:22:42 AM

refillable said:
Overclocking in BIOS Manually in ASUS motherboard is actually simple. You Increase the FSB(Base Clock or BLCK). For example the multiplier was 14x and BCLK was 200Mhz, It would run at 2.7Ghz. When you change the BCLK to 250Mhz, the Processor will run at 3.5Ghz, etc. You can also change the multiplier for a better Overclocking results. But, you need to have a Black Edition Processor. I don't think your processor had these Black Edition ability so You can't change the multiplier.

Now here is a review of your processor. Here they show us how they Overclock it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Athlon_II_X3_425...

Your processor seems to have 13.5x Multiplier. You might set the BCLK to 260Mhz to Get your processor run at 3.5Ghz. But Don't straight go on 260. Try slowly at 210, then 220, etc. You go higher, but If you feel your system bad then you must to lower it by 5. If you find your system crashing then Reboot it.

Hope this help.

Because here I just do explanation really simple (I didn't explain setting voltages, etc), check this out also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpwcQH-AATE and see how they do Overclocking in the BIOS manually.

You might also try using AMD Overdrive Utility. Here is a tutorial:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...

Thanks for your help bro, I went into bios and followed those
Steps sadly I'm back to where I were before. I oc the CPU
And the overclock failed and I had to hold down the del key
When the monitor had no signal and it powered up tried a lower
Overclock samething happened overclock failed and my monitor
Had no signal again now I restart my pc again and held down
The del key and it won't do anything now :(  I tried to reboot and
Shut it down so many times with the
Same hold down delete key procedure durring the "no signal"
From monitor. This problem was easy to fix before but now
I have. No clue on what went wrong. I really hope I can get
This to work again ASAP I have TES Skyrim coming in the mail
Today and been wanting to play it :,(
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2011 10:34:32 AM

Oh lol, But you must to be glad at least it is working. Where actually do you get stuck with? And Maybe Try AMD Overdrive? If you are lazy with these stuff and I mean give up, then probably upgrading to x6 straight is the best option.
m
l
December 10, 2011 6:58:12 PM

refillable said:
Oh lol, But you must to be glad at least it is working. Where actually do you get stuck with? And Maybe Try AMD Overdrive? If you are lazy with these stuff and I mean give up, then probably upgrading to x6 straight is the best option.

Well bro... That's a no can do right know :'(  Time i turn my pc on from the fail overclock, i get a black screen and recieve a no signal from monitor. The HDD Light doesnt come on or anything. And when this happened before i had to hold down the Del key time i turned it on but now the monitor and system wont come up normally since i've had a bad overclock fail.
I know this has got to be a BIOS Issue. I've done some google'ng i may have to move a jumper around on my MB and take out the battery :(  I hope this works Skyrim came and i really want to play it :'( 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 1:33:43 AM

Take of the CMOS battery and I hope you fix your issue. Otherwise you must to get a new peocessor :'( .

Actually where so you 'fail' it?
m
l
December 11, 2011 2:20:32 AM

refillable said:
Take of the CMOS battery and I hope you fix your issue. Otherwise you must to get a new peocessor :'( .

Actually where so you 'fail' it?

I got everything back up now :)  Overclock fail is what the American Trends screen came up and wanted me to reset
the overclock settings back to factory settings. Oh well I'll have to wait till next month and get a faster processor then.

:) 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2011 2:27:09 AM

Alright! good to see everything runs fine.
m
l
!