Sign in with
Your question

VNC vs High Def Streaming

Last response: in Networking
February 25, 2011 10:43:23 PM

Does anyone here care to explain why VNC is so slow? Can't it encode the screen in real time, then stream it using the same technology used in streaming HD content?

More about : vnc high def streaming

February 25, 2011 10:59:13 PM

I use VNC extensively, but mostly within the confines of my local network (intranet), and therefore I don't use encryption (not sure if that would add much in terms of overhead anyway, I suspect not). Works great and plenty fast for my needs. Certainly no worse than LogMeIn or TeamViewer, esp. as an intranet solution. On a rare occasion, I will run VNC over Hamachi for remote access, so I don't use VNC encryption in that case either. Again, seems to run very well for me.
m
l
February 25, 2011 11:02:38 PM

How fast can your network transfer a 5mb file? Thats the approximate size of a fullcolor desktop screen, now if you want 20 FPS, that's 100mb per second. VNC already does encode the screen in realtime, its just that much data because monitor resolutions are so different from HD.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2011 11:20:18 PM

someone19 said:
How fast can your network transfer a 5mb file? Thats the approximate size of a fullcolor desktop screen, now if you want 20 FPS, that's 100mb per second. VNC already does encode the screen in realtime, its just that much data because monitor resolutions are so different from HD.

Still does not explain this question: If I can watch youtube 1080p stream smoothly, why can't VNC be as fast assuming my desktop res is also 1080p?
m
l
February 26, 2011 2:09:58 AM

How much upload you've got?
www.speedtest.net

Some ISP let you download 1000kbps/sec and upload is 128kbps/sec (for example)
Try VNC within your LAN and tell us what you've got.
m
l
February 26, 2011 3:56:40 AM

25.59 mbps down, 1.67 mbps up
5ms ping

m
l
February 26, 2011 8:58:14 PM

divac said:
Still does not explain this question: If I can watch youtube 1080p stream smoothly, why can't VNC be as fast assuming my desktop res is also 1080p?

Because its already been encoded. The processing time to encode that 1080p stream is much longer than the clip is long.
m
l
!