Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade or Replace

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2012 10:16:20 PM

Hello, first time poster. My question is as stated. I am wondering if I should upgrade my existing PC or is it time to build a new one. I had this system built for me by the now defunct PC Club (R.I.P.) and it has been a champ from day one. But it has been five years now and the games are starting to bog the system down. I recently got Battlefield 3 as a gift, and cannot even play it as the game crashes after a few minutes due to it running out of video ram. Would my mother board be able to take full advantage of the new gen pc-e cards? I believe my mobo is a first gen pc-e. Anyhow... opionions are appreciated.

Following are my specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_C8153842&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1064 MB
Dedicated Memory: 297 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB

(Omitted information I didn't feel was pertinent... let me know if there is any other info you would like.)

More about : upgrade replace

February 7, 2012 10:26:05 PM

"game crashes after a few minutes due to it running out of video ram"
that's funny excuse to update computer
i have to stop laughing before i can respond :) 
BRB

ok i would say get more ram,
add 4GB kit 50$
AMD 6870 -150$ +

that would bring your system to good place, you can get any video card even if you change system later it still be good
so i say upgrade for now for 200$, mostly due to your good quad core CPU
whats your budget??
February 7, 2012 10:36:21 PM

Definitely get 2 more GB of RAM. And PCIe 2.0/3.0 cards should work fine - I'd suggest an HD 6870 as best bang-for-your-buck right now. Check with Gigabyte's website to see if your slot will have problems.
Related resources
February 7, 2012 10:40:15 PM

Well considering I was going to buy a new system outright, I would say my budget was around $800. BUT, if I can get more life out of this rig, I would definitely rather do that.

The issue with upgrading my ram is that I have 2x1GB sticks. Isn't there issues with mixing sizes or something?

But if upgrading the ram and video card is viable, I think I would rather do that.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2012 10:46:44 PM

If you want to upgrade then the first thing to do is to get a 64 bit OS, then get 2 x kits like Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can overclock your cpu for performance improvement -- you may need a after market cpu cooler like COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now the graphic card. Your 8800 GTS is excellent, but a a bit old card, however it can be used for Physicx as a second card on a sli configuration.

I am not sure if your motherboard would like that tough. It has 3 expansion slots:
1 PCI Express X16 slot
3 PCI Express X1 slots
3 PCI slots

What is your budget for a card? Which is your actual psu?
February 7, 2012 10:48:28 PM

Memory, check what you got and match it as close as you can (size does not matter) i mean Lettency and voltage. it will put you out of "suck" 2GB category into "sweet spot" 6GB, or 4GB , (from 2gb to 4gb is big performance increase, after that benefit of more drop dramatically anyway)

I still would recommend AMD 6870 HD video card, just check what power supply you got?
February 7, 2012 10:51:52 PM

Umm...the guys are forgetting about the Windows 32-bit. You really need 4GB in a system now-a-days, which means needing Windows 64-bit to get full use out of it. I've got the same system except 64-bit, 4GB RAM, and HD 5770. I would upgrade the GPU(new GPUs coming out HD 7XXX and GTX 6XX in the next couple of months) and just know that in short, its about time for a new pc if you are trying to play modern games and the GPU can be carried over to your next pc. I plan on upgrading with Ivy Bridge and all. You may want to look into doing the same.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2012 10:54:38 PM

Delirious788 said:
Umm...the guys are forgetting about the Windows 32-bit.

I am not :non: 
February 7, 2012 11:06:55 PM

^^^
i know its so sad 32bit should be outlawed lol
last time i had 2GB of ram was 10 years ago with PC 133, (4GB ddr2, 16gb ddr3 now)
so i keep forgetting about that,
February 7, 2012 11:12:14 PM

I have a 600w power supply.

And as for the OS... This system started as a Win XP system, getting Win7 was a FREE upgrade through my schooling, so I can't complain really. Though I DID have the option to get the 64bit for free as well, I just didn't know any better at the time.

*Also, lets say $300 budget
February 7, 2012 11:22:01 PM

get 2GB kit 40$ (ya between 2 and 4GB there 10$ deference lol) to bring total to 4GB

and video card (AMD-6870 150$+ or AMD-6950 250$+) or nvidia card but i only got the amd once so can't comment on nvidia
!