Advice Needed on Current Build - Upgrade Time?

cceller

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Currently running:

Asus P6T Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 / Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
Corsair XMS 6144MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz (3 x2048) x 2 for a total of 12GB
ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Seagate Barracude 500GB SATA HD
Windows 7 Ultimate (64GB)
Other assorted stuff (DVD drive, DVD burner, etc).

I play games (Aion, Star Wars The Old Republic, will play Guild Wars 2) first, Internet second, manage my iTunes, etc.

My question is should I keep what I have (or upgrade pieces)?

Or am I 3 years out of date and I need to build a new machine?

Thanks!

Chad

Solution
The specs of the computer look fine to me...it may not be the newest system, but it should definitely play most games (including MW3 and BF3) on High if not ultra for another year of two. I would recommend you just keep your system the way it is and upgrade when you can't play the newer games on High graphics at decent frames

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
The specs of the computer look fine to me...it may not be the newest system, but it should definitely play most games (including MW3 and BF3) on High if not ultra for another year of two. I would recommend you just keep your system the way it is and upgrade when you can't play the newer games on High graphics at decent frames

Solution

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
No one can really decide if you need an upgrade besides you. Personally that still seems like a really solid build to me and should have no issues playing current games on high settings.

If you're just aching to tweak your PC a bit, my suggestion would be looking into a SSD. Doesn't really matter what kind either, all of them are a huge improvement compared to HDDs.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished

I agree with you. Don't go with an SSD, you're going to be wasting your money. The boot speed difference isn't all that much faster and they're mad expensive. Save the money and build a new build in the future when your build does fail you.

I like your case choice. This is another good case choice if you want something cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068

kyraiki

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I was concerned about SSD relaibility as well, but decided to take the plunge. Its the best upgrade I have made. I use 60GB SSDs (Intel and Crucial C300) in my laptop and desktop and haven't had a problem in a year or so of use... My suggestion is to buy a SSD from a vendor known for reliability that that stands by their product, and to make regular backups of your data. (Which you should be doing regardless.) :)