melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I bought a TPC 812 to replace my Hyper 212+, was this a good buy or a waste?
I totaly scratched the top of my 8120 with a totaly not micro fiber food napkin but works good still.

randomkid

Distinguished
I guess you are in best position to say if it is good buy or not. If you notice your CPU being significantly cooler under TPC 812, then it must be worth the money.

But I believe the feature of the TPC 812 is for its being the First Vertical Vapor chamber. Unless you have your processor in an open table lying flat, the benefit of such vertical vapor chamber will not kick in because the liquid will be going down the cool part of the heatsink rather than on top of the chip itself. It is not hard to imagine if you look at this:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3077

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Hmm... why did they make it like that then?

randomkid

Distinguished

It's most probably for overclockers who usually have their PC in open test bed where the processor is lying flat & the vertical vapor chamber can do its work. For ordinary users like us who puts the processor in PC cases in vertical position, the TPC 812's vapor chamber will lie horizontal.

evul munk33

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
nonsense, vapor chambers work in any orientation, just like heatpipes.
they work best when they are straight up, but the difference isnt that big

think about it, most VGAs use heatpipes and vapor chambers and they are upside down
the GPU is the highest point on a VGA heatsink, but they still manage to move the heat away from the gpu to the fins and we are talking about 200-300W here while cpus are at 65-85W these days. well, up to 140W for amd cpus... :D