Closed Solved

Upgrade form ATI radeon X300 SE to EVGA GeForce 9500 GT?

Hi,
i'm thinking about upgrading my radeon X300 to a EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB

my PC specs are

Dual core Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
4GB RAM
320 GB HDD
375 Watt PSU (i can run the new card and it works fine)
2 DVD burners

stuff like that

the upgrade should cost me ~42 USD

is it a nice upgrade?

BTW i think the CPU will be a bottleneck if i get a better card

thanks in advance
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade form radeon x300 evga geforce 9500
  1. Best answer
    No. I would put the $42 towards a complete new build.
  2. Pyree said:
    No. I would put the $42 towards a complete new build.


    it's hard to do that in egypt (overpriced components, unavailability of components, it takes 1-2 years for a new component to reach here) i dont even think there are 980Xs here

    and they are way too overpriced
  3. Being limited to older hardware, can you get a HD5670 at a good price? HD4670? If you want to play games, either of them would be a lot better, and will also run on your PSU.
  4. Yeah but the 9500GT and the pentium D is not 1-2 years old. Can you get something more recent like a first gen Intel i processor, 5 series mobo and an AMD 5000 series or Nvidia 400 series GPU? Otherwise you are very under-power.

    The GPU upgrade alone is not going to play recent games well let alone future games.
  5. Onus said:
    Being limited to older hardware, can you get a HD5670 at a good price? HD4670? If you want to play games, either of them would be a lot better, and will also run on your PSU.


    i don't know but will those fit in my machine i don't want a really nice graphics card and a CPU/RAM to bottleneck it

    thanks BTW
  6. Exactly, the pentium D will be a bottleneck. That is why a full upgrade is preferred.
  7. Pyree said:
    Yeah but the 9500GT and the pentium D is not 1-2 years old. Can you get something more recent like a first gen Intel i processor, 5 series mobo and an AMD 5000 series or Nvidia 400 series GPU? Otherwise you are very under-power.

    The GPU upgrade alone is not going to play recent games well let alone future games.


    i don't really play the latest games, i mostly play games like RA3, GTA SA, Plants vs zombies, peggle, hitman 1, 2....

    as i said before prices here are really high that build you're talking about should cost me like 7000-8000 EGP which is a lot for that hardware, i think i can build a new one by mid-2012 but that card i currently have doesn't play 1080p videos well and RA3 under the lowest settings

    it doesn't have drivers for windows 7 either so it doesn't play games on it that's why i'm looking for a new one
  8. Oh, ok. If you are planning for an upgrade and this is only a temporary solution then go for it.
  9. Pyree said:
    Exactly, the pentium D will be a bottleneck. That is why a full upgrade is preferred.


    i should build a new computer by mid-2012 but the radeon x300SE doesn't work well

    should i just wait till then
  10. Pyree said:
    Oh, ok. If you are planning for an upgrade and this is only a temporary solution then go for it.


    so is it a good upgrade and i shouldn't wait

    i'll still be using this computer as a backup for my future one and for testing stuff i program
  11. The $42 is definitely going to be a waste since you are not going to put the 9500GT in your new build in 2012. But if you really want to play some games, I think $42 is a small price.

    This is really a question only you can answer. I am not sure about your financial situation. If you have spare money, go for it, otherwise wait for it. Only 6 months to go.

    As to playing 1080p content. Are you using hardware acceleration?

    If you can get that to work, then it is better to wait.
  12. I think a HD4670, HD5570, HD5670 (in that order for performance) would be worthwhile. Even a HD5450 would scream past that ancient card.
    I think one of these would be appropriate for your CPU, even if they are bottlenecked some. If you're going to rebuild next year, depending on your budget you'd probably be looking at graphics cards much more powerful than a HD5670 anyway.
    Look at the chart here for an idea of scale: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html

    Edit: If you're going to maintain this old PC for testing things, it will need a more modern GPU just to remain relevant with respect to drivers, so you should upgrade it, just not too far. Look at the chart; between the HD5450 and the HD5670 there are a lot of choices.
  13. Onus said:
    I think a HD4670, HD5570, HD5670 (in that order for performance) would be worthwhile. Even a HD5450 would scream past that ancient card.
    I think one of these would be appropriate for your CPU, even if they are bottlenecked some. If you're going to rebuild next year, depending on your budget you'd probably be looking at graphics cards much more powerful than a HD5670 anyway.
    Look at the chart here for an idea of scale: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html


    i meant upgrading my current one temproarily

    and for future use will the EVGA 9500 be nice
  14. Pyree said:
    The $42 is definitely going to be a waste since you are not going to put the 9500GT in your new build in 2012. But if you really want to play some games, I think $42 is a small price.

    This is really a question only you can answer. I am not sure about your financial situation. If you have spare money, go for it, otherwise wait for it. Only 6 months to go.

    As to playing 1080p content. Are you using hardware acceleration?

    If you can get that to work, then it is better to wait.


    thanks a lot i'll think about it

    BTW yes i am using HW acceleration
  15. No, the 9500GT is very low end by today's standard.

    Ok, is the HW acceleration for 1080p .264 content applied properly? Can you use GPU-Z and play a .264 1080p video to verify that the GPU is accelerating the video?
  16. For future use, although I'm not one to insist that you need a pair of $250-$350 graphics cards to enjoy games, you wouldn't want less than the HD5670, and more reasonably a single HD6850 or better.
    As big a jump as it is over your old X300, the 9500GT is insufficient for any modern games.
  17. Can a X300 accelerate video?
  18. Just check and got mixed result. Officially it is available to x1000 series and above but few claims to be able to have it working. I would say no, but still worth a try.
  19. Onus said:
    Can a X300 accelerate video?


    i don't know but if it can it does
  20. Pyree said:
    Just check and got mixed result. Officially it is available to x1000 series and above but few claims to be able to have it working. I would say no, but still worth a try.


    thanks

    so i think i'll wait another couple of months
  21. Best answer selected by madooo12.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards EVGA Geforce Radeon Graphics Product