Is this build a good start for a video editing system?

lee123

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Im looking in to building my own computer that i will be using for mostly video editing. I have been doing alot of reasearch of my own but all of my findings can get confusing, im a noob so please barewith me. I am trying to keep the price fairly low but i do want to get the the best bang for my buck. For starters this is what i have chosen, i will eventually upgrade as time goes on. I also had a few questions for video editing perpouses.

1. Should i stick with the z68 chipset or go with the p67? or which one would i benifit from the most if im just using the system for HD editing? (note that i swith from sony vegas10 and adobe CS5.5)
2. I know the i7 is better but will there be a great diferance in performance if i go with the i5?
3. I havent chosen a graphics card yet, im am just cerious to know which one this system will benifit from the most?

Intel BOXDZ68BC LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121533

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge LGA 1155

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

z68 would be preferable, imho. I would get an asus or gigabyte board instead, though.

i5-2500k is just fine as a processor. The i7-2600k is $100 more and most of the time provides no better performance. I don't know how well CS5 and Vegas10 use the 5th through 8th threads, but either way the 2500k should be more than good enough, especially if you are on a budget.

Graphics card - Well, graphics cards are usually made for her pleasure, the bigger the better. I don't know what your budget range for a video card looks like, but with graphics intensive things I wouldn't go for less than a 6850.

6950 would be the next step up from there if you have the money to spare.

Also, I notice that you didn't mention the most important thing in the whole computer.

I think you should give quite a lot of thought to which PSU you choose. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. You can expect a $30 PSU to perform about the same as a different $30 PSU, even if the wattage on the labels shows 200w on one and 700w on the other one.

Seasonic is generally the best OEM, and while many brands use some Seasonic and some not (Antec, Corsair) there are two brands that are guaranteed to be Seasonic made, XFX and the ones labeled directly as Seasonic.

I would get an XFX or Seasonic, preferably in the 550 - 650w range to power the system you are looking at making, the lower if you are going with a 6850 and the higher if you are going with a 6950 or above.

lee123

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you for commenting Raiddinn
Any particular reason you why you would choose the asus or gigabyte over the Intel. If all being a z68, would one preform or function any differently form one another? Another way to put this is will one do something the other wont.

The reviews i have read on Newegg.com about the asus and gigabyte weren't that good, most of them were about how the mobos failed on them with in a short amount of time or the BIOS had issues. The Intel had a fare amount of positive reviews, it seems solid. I'm new to this so im just trying to make sure i get everything right.

I have chosen a PSU i just failed to post it.
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

As far as gpu's go im still going to do some research. i had thought about the GTX 560i but according to the list from adobe this was not mentioned. so i will take your advise into consideration.

The HX650w is a Seasonic PSU so it should be fine.

Asus and Gigabyte are, arguably, the two best motherboard manufacturers. Any problems they have, other companies tend to have many times worse.

I haven't heard good things about the Intel motherboard, myself. Everybody and their mother likes to complain about things all the time, but among the major manufacturers I think it is usually the case that people complain about Gigabyte least often.

It doesn't help that Asus sells 10x as many motherboards as Intel does so you have potentially 10x the complainers that are going to do their thing, even if the failure rates were the same.

Asus sells some 40% of all the motherboards in the world or something crazy like that. It isn't because they make bad ones.

I would be surprised if the 560 TI doesn't work with your Adobe stuff. I mean its always good to get things that are specifically tested to work, but there isn't much this card won't do. I am not a big Nvidia fan, but even I have to admit that it is high up there in the overall scheme of things.