Sign in with
Your question

Help identifying why I keep getting blue screens?

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2012 1:15:00 AM

So I'm getting blue screens almost daily now from my build I built late august 2011, and I need some help finding out what is wrong. It just started happening.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel I7 2600k
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2 x4 gb
Graphics card: XFX Amd Radeon Hd 2gb 6970
Motherboard: Asrock z68 extreme 4
PSU: Corsair 850 watt
ssd: ocz vertex 3 120gb
hdd: I believe a samsung 1tb (It was OEM so I'd have to open my computer to find out)
Monitor: 23 in acer s231HL and Dell 17 inch e173fpv
February 8, 2012 2:45:12 AM

Try to update the firmware of your SSD, put another brand of memory if you have.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 3:20:15 AM

Is your system overclocked?

Do you get blue screens if your memory is running at DDR3-1333?

Do you get blue screens when running at stock motherboard settings?

m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 4:07:17 PM

Download and run MemTest86+ while you are sleeping. If you are lucky enough to have Ubuntu installed you it is built right into the boot process so you don't have to do anything but select it.

Also, I want to point out that you left off one of the most important items in your description, the case.

I would think the problem was two very different things if you had 1) A HAF X, or 2) a Cooler Master 340.

Bad cases with top mount PSUs like the Cooler Master 340 have many more power problems than bottom mount cases like the HAF X.

Other than doing a MemTest86+ overnight run, I would look at two things primarily:
1) Get a regular AC oscillating fan, take the side off the case, and point it directly in.
2) Look at your driver dates, anything that has a date very near to when the problem started you might want to roll back to an earlier version and see if that stabilizes things again.
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:47:36 PM

I'm not at home right now, so I'll try to do my best to remember what everything was.

My system isn't overclocked and everything in the BIOS is at the defualt systems.

The BIOS tell me that my memory is at 1333 even though corsair listed the ram as 1600.

I'm running windows 7

I have a HAF X 942 case by coolermaster that has a bottom mounted PSU

I can't remember when it started but it would happen occasionally, it's just now that my computer is BSODing a lot more.

m
l
February 9, 2012 3:44:08 AM

Do the RAM test with MemTest86+ when you are sleeping. That is the easiest thing to test right now.

Don't worry about the BIOS settings of the RAM. The computer tends to know better than the manufacturer how RAM should be used anyway, as sad as I am to say it.
m
l
February 11, 2012 7:35:15 PM

I will do the ram test tonight.

thanks guys
m
l
February 12, 2012 6:07:05 PM

Here are the results:

L1 cache: 32k 113077mb/s
L2 cache: 256k 51396 mb/s
L3 cache: 8192k 38549 mb/s
memory: 8104mb 16629 mb/s

settings: Ram: 665MHZ (DDR3-1333) / Cas: 9-9-9-24 / dual channel
Slot 0: 4096mb pc3-10600 - corsair cmz86xm2a1600cp *xmp*
slot 1: 4096mb pc3-10600 - corsair cmz86xm2a1600cp *xmp*

walltime: 11:33:47
cached: 8104m
Rsvd mem: 640k
men map: e820
cache: on
ecc: off
test: std
pass: 10
errors: 0
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:09:35 PM

Just to clarify, there wasn't a bunch of RED all over the screen when you came back, right?
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:34:52 PM

nope. everything was blue with white text
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:51:08 PM

How long did the system go before you got the first BSOD?

Do you have any other hardware laying around or in any accessible computer that you can use to test things with?

What are you doing when it BSODs?
m
l
February 12, 2012 8:19:32 PM

I'm not quite sure, I think the first one was about a month and a half after I got it, so around the beginning of november. It barely happened around that time, it's just now that it's happening more frequently, although the past couple days, it's only happened twice.

I can use my brother's computer to test things.

when the BSOD's happen, a lot of them happened when I was watching netflix in fullscreen in mozilla firefox (I've switched to chrome now) sometimes when playing games, there's no bias in which game and sometimes it just happens randomly
m
l
February 12, 2012 9:34:28 PM

How much free space is there on your boot drive?

Firefox is known to crash more than other browsers, because of all the add-ins that they don't control very well. A poorly written one can cause quite a few problems, but I would think it would just crash the browser and not the computer. Maybe some buggy addon could crash the whole computer, though.

How many fans do you have and which direction are they oriented?

Also, you should scan your boot drive for errors. You can do this by right clicking on C, Properties, Tools, Error Checking, Check Now, Check both boxes, hit OK, and choose to restart when you are asked to do so.
m
l
February 12, 2012 10:22:41 PM

I have about 25 gb left on my boot drive, I plan on cleaning it up later to clear up some space.

I have 3 intake fans, 1 on the bottom front, one of the bottom and one on the bottom side 2 are 230mm and the bottom mounted one is the fan for the psu.

I have 3 exhaust fans, 2 230mm ones on the top of the case and 1 120 mm fan on the top back of the case.

I have a fan and heatsink setup for my cpu, I forget the name of it, but it keeps my cpu at 28C idling and almost never above 35C
m
l
February 13, 2012 1:12:54 PM

What sort of parts does your brother's computer have in it?

Also, hit start, type in event and then open the event viewer. Then look at the windows logs.

See what sorts of red marks you can find in there and post the details about it.

For instance, I get quite a few of these

!ERROR Application Hang
The program FlashPlayerDebugger.exe version 10.1.53.64 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: b80
Start Time: 01ccea07180ada0c
Termination Time: 10
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FlashDevelop\Tools\flexsdk\runtimes\player\10.1\win\FlashPlayerDebugger.exe
Report Id: 6a2a8a4e-55fa-11e1-87a4-00262da57d98

Because of me finding a lot of ways to crash programs I am writing in Flash.

See if you can get some red !ERROR messages out of it like those.
m
l
February 15, 2012 2:43:26 AM

I'll have to check what parts he has a bit ladder, but they are only a few years old

in the application log: error: 2/14/2012 8:18:25 source: WMI task category: none event ID: 10

error: side by side event 75

Most of them were WMI, system restore, appicliation hang, windows error reporting, system restore.

At certain parts there longs lines of errors with the source of CAPi2 with the event ID of 4107
m
l
February 15, 2012 1:38:03 PM

When was the last time you did Windows Updates?

Try doing a manual windows update and searching for both critical and recommended updates and installing them if there are any.

If there are not any, post the long text info from each of the most recent and most common error messages.
m
l
February 16, 2012 2:35:30 AM

Ok, there was about 17 updates, I'll do that tonight
m
l
February 19, 2012 7:21:41 AM

Ok, I updated everything, my computer froze a few hours ago, no blue screen, but I had to manually restart.

The most common errors are System Restore most recent one is event ID 8211, with a task category of none
and
"WMI" latest one with the event ID 0f 10 and the task category of none

And I'm not sure where the long text info is.

Also, thank you so much for helping me with this and staying with me
m
l
February 19, 2012 1:26:24 PM

I am honestly on the verge of suggesting a reinstall of Windows. It sounds like there are some unusual permissions issues, like something didn't get installed right along the way.

I won't go so far just yet.

The event viewer should look kinda like that , the blue highlighted text was the text I was looking for.

It appears that Microsoft Security Essentials has been tossing a lot of sidebyside errors lately, but with Error 72 instead of error 75.

Anyway, if you can get some of that text, it should help figure out what is the specific files making the errors.

- Edit -

You may also want to try going to start, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt, run as administrator, and type in sfc / scannow

That may help. It will take a while, though.

m
l
February 19, 2012 7:09:05 PM

The latest error was the system restore error with the event ID of 8211 and a task category of none.

The text for it is: "The scheduled restore point could not be created. Additional information: (0x81000101)."

There's another system restore error with the ID of 8193 and a task category of none. The text for it is: "Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation; Description = Scheduled Checkpoint; Error = 0x81000101)."

The latest WMI error had an ID of 10 task category of none and the text for it is: "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

If I need to reinstall windows I can backup everything on my 1 tb hard drive, but would the activation code work again? I'm not really wanting to buy a second copy of Windows 7
m
l
!