Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst 11.11 issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2011 1:49:40 PM

I've decided to reinstall ATI Catalyst because BF3 keeps crashing when the message "driver display stopped responding and has recovered". So i used Driver Sweeper to clean all files and program related to ATI display and reinstalled 11.11.

However, after installation it says "Finished with warnings, view log for details" but it shows everything has been installed correctly.

In addition several things have disappeared. CCC control has disappeared from desktop mouse right click.
CPU overdrive is missing in the reinstalled version.

I've searched and some say its due to registry and ATI.ACE files. I've deleted all registry using Driver Sweeper and I can't delete ATI.ACE, my computer won't let me.

I've even reinstalled my original chipset that came with my Mobo. Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem and return to my previous state where everything should be? I am not a computer genius and I do not want to go through windows shell to change cmd statements.

My comp specs:
XFX Radeon HD 6870.
AMD Phenom II 955BE
Kingston 8gb ram

More about : catalyst issues

December 9, 2011 1:51:49 PM

I forgot to mention I've reinstalled and deleted everything like 3 times, and still no improvement.
m
l
December 9, 2011 2:26:20 PM

Now you know why I don't use ATI/AMD GPUs.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2011 2:41:22 PM

ram1009 said:

Oh wow that was useful :non: 

Is your Copy of windows fully up to date as far as Updates go ?
m
l
December 9, 2011 6:45:52 PM

plz guys seriously tell that ati have driver problems or not plz :-(
m
l
December 9, 2011 7:13:44 PM

delete 11.11 and go back to 11.10 is better idea.
once 11.12 or 12 is hot fixed use that driver.
i guess 11.11 cause problems with many others and include my self (6950)
11.10 works good so far... i am wait for 11.12 or 12...
m
l
December 9, 2011 10:44:58 PM

ram1009 said:

I used Nvidia cards before and it gave me even more problems than ATI.
m
l
December 12, 2011 8:25:13 AM

andywork78 said:
delete 11.11 and go back to 11.10 is better idea.
once 11.12 or 12 is hot fixed use that driver.
i guess 11.11 cause problems with many others and include my self (6950)
11.10 works good so far... i am wait for 11.12 or 12...

I tried that recently and it only works for a while. BF3 still says Display AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered. I don't get any of these issues with other games, only BF3. Perhaps this is one of many DICE's stupid bugs.
m
l
December 12, 2011 9:29:56 AM

Something is definitely not getting deleted when you un-install. I would start from scratch. Yes it's a little time consuming but can be very worth it. Do express un-install from control panel of the Catalyst and Caps if you have them. Reboot. Then run driver sweeper and remove everything ATI display related. Reboot. THEN shut the PC down completely.

Open the case and pull the GPU from it's slot and move it to another one. Secure it and wire it up, attach monitor/s and turn the pc on. This will make the pc think you have a new card and completely refresh all your display related ***!

Install the latest catalyst drivers (I'm using 11.11c NO CAPS with great success in all the latest games especially BF3).

Reboot.

Now when you get back in to windows just go straight in to BF3. Don't even open catalyst yet. Don't OC it or anything. Just make sure BF3 runs properly first. THEN proceed to +20 and oc or whatever you do.
m
l
December 12, 2011 9:39:22 AM

meat_loaf said:
I used Nvidia cards before and it gave me even more problems than ATI.

So you use NVidia products because, in your experience, they give you more problems? Ok....

+1 for reverting to previous driver. Driver issues can be extremely frustrating, but stability is more important than the improved performance if a particular new driver is giving you problems.
m
l
December 12, 2011 5:46:58 PM

beltzy said:
So you use NVidia products because, in your experience, they give you more problems? Ok....

+1 for reverting to previous driver. Driver issues can be extremely frustrating, but stability is more important than the improved performance if a particular new driver is giving you problems.

I think you misunderstood the sentence. I said I have used Nvidia products before, but the last time I bought a laptop with Nvidia 8400GS card, it presented more issues than the other laptop I have that used ATI.

I experienced less problems with ATI compared to Nvidia overall.
m
l
December 12, 2011 5:50:27 PM

beltzy said:

The old driver didnt help either. Upon reverting to 11.10 it still gave the same issues. The only difference is that I was able to play BF3 for a longer period of time with less crashes. 11.11 crashes every time the game loads a new map. These things only happen though in multi.

IMO, i think its more DICE's problem with their programming. It never crashed on any other games I've played.
m
l
December 12, 2011 5:51:46 PM

beltzy said:

Forgot to mention, it was a new patch for BF3 that was released and where I got a lot of problems.
m
l
December 13, 2011 6:35:03 PM

meat_loaf said:
...However, after installation it says "Finished with warnings, view log for details" but it shows everything has been installed correctly.

In addition several things have disappeared. CCC control has disappeared from desktop mouse right click.
CPU overdrive is missing in the reinstalled version...

This is EXACTLY what happened to me when i was having some issues w/ AMD drivers. It's also why i don't use driver sweeper anymore. I got a bit over zealous and erased everything ATI related w/ driver sweeper, and upon reinstal, kept doing what you're describing.

All this said, however, I wish I could tell you what I did to correct it. I remember I cycled uninstalling, reinstalling (via the 11.11 driver (not using any utility other than the downloaded driver)), and rebooting, and on about the 3rd re-install, it came up clean (green check mark, no issues). I may have gone into safe mode for one of these cycles at one point, but i can't remember.

I recommend rebooting into safe mode, running the uninstall via ATI's utility, and re-installing using the same. If it still reports installed w/ errors, reboot into windows normally, and try again. Possibly even shoving a reboot in between uninstall and reinstall. I know it's sloppy, but it worked for me.
m
l
December 14, 2011 1:18:41 AM

JMsicarius said:
This is EXACTLY what happened to me when i was having some issues w/ AMD drivers. It's also why i don't use driver sweeper anymore. I got a bit over zealous and erased everything ATI related w/ driver sweeper, and upon reinstal, kept doing what you're describing.

All this said, however, I wish I could tell you what I did to correct it. I remember I cycled uninstalling, reinstalling (via the 11.11 driver (not using any utility other than the downloaded driver)), and rebooting, and on about the 3rd re-install, it came up clean (green check mark, no issues). I may have gone into safe mode for one of these cycles at one point, but i can't remember.

I recommend rebooting into safe mode, running the uninstall via ATI's utility, and re-installing using the same. If it still reports installed w/ errors, reboot into windows normally, and try again. Possibly even shoving a reboot in between uninstall and reinstall. I know it's sloppy, but it worked for me.

So far its fixed right now, I uninstalled using Catalyst install manager and reinstalled 11.10 clean without problems. I think the issue is driver sweeper deleting anything related which is causing driver errors.

But even then, i still occasionally experience driver failures for BF3. Game crashes sometimes upon launch and I've even repaired BF3 installer. Could be EA and their stupid origin program.
m
l
!