Hello, new build | Same HDD

FindingLuis

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Will this conflict with anything?

Everything was replaced, except my HDD and I'm fully aware I have to replace the video drivers, but then I learned somewhere that I have to get motherboard drivers, ect ect.

Can somewhere shine some light on this situation? Can I truly drop in my old HDD into this 100% new build?

Solution
Nope! Absolutely not. You may even fry your HDD that way.

Whenever you have a new system, it's necessary to wipe the SSD for a couple reasons.
A: Windows links itself to the motherboard. No mobo, no Windows.
B: You'll have all sorts of crazy driver conflicts going on. It won't be pretty.
So no, you cannot drop it in, it will not work. Do a wipe of the hard drive, reformat/partition and install the OS again. Painstaking but necessary.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news :/ Hope it helps though!

striker410

Distinguished
Nope! Absolutely not. You may even fry your HDD that way.

Whenever you have a new system, it's necessary to wipe the SSD for a couple reasons.
A: Windows links itself to the motherboard. No mobo, no Windows.
B: You'll have all sorts of crazy driver conflicts going on. It won't be pretty.
So no, you cannot drop it in, it will not work. Do a wipe of the hard drive, reformat/partition and install the OS again. Painstaking but necessary.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news :/ Hope it helps though!

Solution

FindingLuis

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Dammit, so I NEED an external harddrive, lol that really blows! And a way to get a hold a copy of my OS from my old Harddrive, anyone have any options on how I can get a copy of my windows 7 home premium off my old Harddrive to re-install it onto the same one? There wasn't really an installation disk, everything was pre-installed when I got the PC that the HDD came in.

I'm ordering the External right now.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Can't. That install is tied to that motherboard and can probably only be registered once (to the computer it came on.).
How about you purchase Windows 7 OEM for $99?