Which processor for gaming...

nit3crawl3r

Honorable
May 24, 2012
im going to build a gaming pc..im in a tight budget..i've seen 2 processors amd phenom x4 980 and amd fx 6100 out of this which processor to select..i know that the fx series has lesser IPC rating when compared to it predecessor phenom 2's but ...when overclocked to its fullest potential will it atleast come on par with phenom x4 980 or is it a total waste of money...im in a very tight budget so im not preferring intel cause the mobo is way costlier compared to amd...thanks in advance this is my first thread and also im not a computer tech so plz bear with me

nit3crawl3r

Honorable
May 24, 2012
will a overclocked i5 2320 matches a i5 2500k at stock speeds ? i know that 2320 is not an unlocked cpu like the k series. it can still be overclocked to some extent isn't it....

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
imo,
to match multithreaded performance
you need 980 at 3.7ghz and fx6 at 3.7 ghz

but games are not multi threaded
so to match single threaded performance
you need fx core at 4.5ghz to match a phenom core at 3.7ghz

to match per module (2 core) performance
you need 5.5ghz on fx to match phenom at 3.7ghz

so for gaming, go with phenom 2 x4 980

InvalidError

Titan

Non-K CPUs can only be overclocked by changing the reference clock (BCLK) from which PCIe and other sensitive clocks are derived, which typically limits overclocks to only 5-10%, which is not enough to make or break a game but can certainly compromise reliability by undermining tolerances on already tight margins.