Deleted all system files + drivers from laptop. Is it doomed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAG269

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello, thank you for viewing this post.
My name is Clint.

So anyways, I have an Asus laptop. I had windows 7 installed on it twice, and my brother decided he "didnt need one of them" so he deleted the original install.
He literally deleted all the original system files and apparently the drivers for the hardware as well. My disc drive no longer works. When I try to load windows 7 from a USB stick, it will go through the entire process, and then it will restart and say it doesn't work. So basically, I'm doomed? I don't know what to do now, so I came here hoping for some advice/answers.

I've tried to boot windows 7, 32bit and 64bit, as well as linux ubuntu 11.10
None of these will boot.
I've tried installing it into the hard drive, as well as just booting from the USB stick I have, and no luck.
And I'm not doing anything wrong that i can see, I've installed OS's from USB and discs tons of times.

Any advice for me, toms?

Thanks
-clint

Solution
Contact Asus and get an installation disc, after suitable explaining the situation and humbly groveling. Be prepared to pay a token amount for this or even more if no longer under warranty. This should have all the drivers and OS customized for your system. Grab an external USB DVD drive from someone and try it as well.

Do I dare ask why you had 2 copies on the laptop?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Contact Asus and get an installation disc, after suitable explaining the situation and humbly groveling. Be prepared to pay a token amount for this or even more if no longer under warranty. This should have all the drivers and OS customized for your system. Grab an external USB DVD drive from someone and try it as well.

Do I dare ask why you had 2 copies on the laptop?

Solution

LAG269

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I had windows 7 on it, and i reinstalled windows 7 on it again because someone got me a lot of viruses that I was too lazy to delete all of, and my laptop was going extremely slow, so i reinstalled windows 7 onto it, and then i noticed i had "windows old" from the first install, so i deleted the entire folder, which unknown to me at the time, had all the original system files in it, which caused my laptop to DIE. So here I am, running linux now, when I need windows. And I see no way of installing windows onto this laptop. because when i choose to install it, it loads and then crashes every time. My disc drive no longer works, im guessing because I have no drivers. It wont even popout anymore so i have to stick a safety pin into it. Which is pointless because like i said, it doesn't even work now.

USB worked to install linux, it just wouldnt install windows for me?
Basically my laptop has no drivers to boot windows. And I need windows to install my drivers...
So what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.