Power supply for i7 2700k

hi i have the following configuration

graphic card : hd 5850
cpu : core 2 duo e7300
power supply : cooler master 600watts

i want to buy an i7 2700k so i want to know if i need to buy a new power supply to run it
16 answers Last reply
More about power supply 2700k
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

    A good 600 watts PSU will be adequate to run the hardware you have. Cooler Master makes good cases, but is not known for great PSUs.

    If you have personal experience running this CM PSU, then continue to use it. If not, consider Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, among a few good PSUs.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
  2. thanks so do you think that my 600watts psu is good enough ?
  3. nounou96 said:
    thanks so do you think that my 600watts psu is good enough ?

    A good 600 watts PSU is adequate. The question is how good is the CM brand in power supplies. I would go with Corsair, Seasonic, Antec. Watch for sales at Newegg. I was able to buy and Antec 620 watts PSU for $35 on promo and rebate.
  4. but do i risk anything by running it with this power supply ?
  5. nounou96 said:
    thanks so do you think that my 600watts psu is good enough ?


    you already own the PSU and it runs your ATI 5850 fine which would be the major power draw in either configuration (current or your upgrade) so you should be fine. Switching from the e7300 to the i7 will not be a major power increase (20-25w). you do know you will need a new motherboard (and probably RAM if its DDR2) ?

    P.S. if the PSU is from the extreme series or one of those wacky lines and is getting up there in age (three or more years) then I would start saving for a replacement (preferably from one the brands mentioned above). If it's the silent pro 600w, you are fine as the PSU is solid.
  6. yes i know i will buy a h67 motherboard i will also buy 4go of ddr3 ram
  7. it is only 2 years old
  8. ct1615 said:
    you already own the PSU and it runs your ATI 5850 fine which would be the major power draw in either configuration (current or your upgrade) so you should be fine. Switching from the e7300 to the i7 will not be a major power increase (20-25w). you do know you will need a new motherboard (and probably RAM if its DDR2) ?

    P.S. if the PSU is from the extreme series or one of those wacky lines and is getting up there in age (three or more years) then I would start saving for a replacement (preferably from one the brands mentioned above). If it's the silent pro 600w, you are fine as the PSU is solid.

    Congratulations in advance, ct1615! You are a few points away from becoming 'Expert'.
  9. nounou96 said:
    it is only 2 years old

    The PSU is at the heart of the system; get a good brand if what you have is not the CM silent pro as ct says.
  10. Ubrales said:
    Congratulations in advance, ct1615! You are a few points away from becoming 'Expert'.


    TY, it comes with a pay increase right? pizza party? ...slice of cake with a candle?
  11. ct1615 said:
    TY, it comes with a pay increase right? pizza party? ...slice of cake with a candle?

    You forgot the wine and cheese! Nothing beats a cab along with aged 5-year old cheddar at room temp!
  12. Just thought I'd chime in with some actual numbers from my own system that is similar.

    Items drawing power:

    i7-2700K
    HD6950
    4 sticks of DD3
    3 HDD's
    1 SSD
    6x fans

    My Kill-O-Watt power meter reads mid to high 90's at idle, usually around 97W. Playing a game goes up to 280W. Running Intel Burn Test and Furmark simultaneously I pull about 400W.
  13. so you guys are sayning that my psu can run this configuration without any problems
  14. nounou96 said:
    so you guys are sayning that my psu can run this configuration without any problems


    no. we are saying if it is a silent pro cooler master you should fine. Otherwise we are saying that you should switch PSU's as the other series from Cooler Master are not very good.
  15. we are saying it can run the configuration
  16. rwpritchett said:
    Just thought I'd chime in with some actual numbers from my own system that is similar.

    Items drawing power:

    i7-2700K
    HD6950
    4 sticks of DD3
    3 HDD's
    1 SSD
    6x fans

    My Kill-O-Watt power meter reads mid to high 90's at idle, usually around 97W. Playing a game goes up to 280W. Running Intel Burn Test and Furmark simultaneously I pull about 400W.

    Good info! Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i7 Components Product