Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming PC Build - Help and Advice Needed!

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2012 3:25:45 AM

Hey guys. I've been into PC gaming my whole life, but I have never actually built one myself. I have been doing research lately on good setup, and I am almost ready to start ordering parts from newegg and amazon, but I need some input first. I want a powerful gaming pc, and I'm willing to spend a little over 2k. Here is what I have in mind:

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D

PSU - Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold

Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME LGA 1155 Rebublic of Gamers Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB(4 x 4GB)240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GPU - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Boot Drive - Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB

Data Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200
RPM 64 MB

Optical Drive 1 - Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive

Optical Drive 2 - Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Windows 7 Professional

I went for for that psu because I plan on doing crossfire in the future. The motherboard is what I am really not sure about, any suggestions would be great! I am also aware that the 16bg of ram may be excessive for gaming, but I will be using programs in the future that need it. Thanks! :wahoo: 
February 8, 2012 3:46:23 AM

Wow that build is nice but why go with 2 optical drives? BTW, you should get a CM Evo CPU cooler because the stock one is terrible.

That case is smexy but if you want to save a few bucks, go with the CM Storm Trooper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The motherboard is the best you can get for 1155.

Everything else looks really good.
m
l
February 8, 2012 3:58:50 AM

Thanks! I went for two drives because I want a blu ray reader for my movies, but the DVD read speeds are slower on it, and I still play some games that use disks. Though I don't know too much about optical drives so, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the cpu cooler, I have heard the stock cooler was bad and I wasn't sure what to get.

It says the CM stormtrooper is a full tower, but the one I listed is a mid tower. Is there a big difference in the size?
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2012 4:05:27 AM

Alex0022 said:
Thanks! I went for two drives because I want a blu ray reader for my movies, but the DVD read speeds are slower on it, and I still play some games that use disks. Though I don't know too much about optical drives so, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the cpu cooler, I have heard the stock cooler was bad and I wasn't sure what to get.

It says the CM stormtrooper is a full tower, but the one I listed is a mid tower. Is there a big difference in the size?

Just save money and just buy the Blue Ray reader/writer thing instead of 2. From now on, just use Steam to play. The read/write speeds don't matter once you're in the game.

The difference between a full tower and a mid tower is really only size. Oh wait, that mobo is E-ATX and it's P67. The 650D won't fit E-ATX mobos so you're better off with the CM Storm Trooper.

Instead of that mobo, get the Z68 version. It has SRT so you'll have increased load times because you have an SSD that you can cache.
It's a bit expensive so if you can't afford it, get this.
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:20:47 AM

I use steam most of the time anyway, so that's great, thanks. I see the cheaper MB you listed has pci express 3.0. The gpu the radeon hd 7950 can use that, so would that make a big difference?
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:22:20 AM

If you are just gaming, go with the 2500k. also, go with a z68 mobo so in the future, you can drop an ivy bridge cpu in it without swapping mobos as well.

As far as ssd's go, i'd only buy samsung 830 or crucial m4, but lean heavily towards samsung.

and IMHO, no need to drop that much money on a mobo...
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:23:13 AM

PCI-e 3.0 isn't supported by Sandy Bridge 1155. If you get an Ivy Bridge in the future, then you might see some improvement. Ivy Bridges support PCI-e 3.0 and many mobos are ready for Ivy Bridge with a future BIOS update.
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:46:00 AM

Okay good to know, thanks for your help.

@ebola28
I'm going to be using it for more things later down the road, so the ht on the i7 will help. You're probably right about the mobo, I'm probably gonna go with the cheaper one unless it doesn't have the ssd caching.
m
l
February 8, 2012 3:00:30 PM

take a look at Intel 520 SSD, Samsung 830, or the Crucial M4, its more stable than the one you chose.
m
l
February 8, 2012 3:35:49 PM

I agree. I think all you need is a 2500K, then overclock it with a good aftermarket cooler. I personally prefer some of the big air heat sink fans. I don't think liquid cooling is worth the money.

You made a good choice on the video card. I run the HD6950 when I made my build last year. One thing that is a big deal to me with computer cases is the fans. I need it to be as silent as possible because fan humming bothers me to no end. I suggest you take fan noise into consideration when building your computer. Everything else looks great. I only buy asus motherboards, and have never had an issue.

m
l
February 8, 2012 4:16:35 PM

Honestly, if you are going with a SSD, ssd caching is not very useful. The reason i recommend z68 is because they will be supported for a long time, with many being able to support ivybridge in the future as well as pci-e 3.0 support. You don't need either right now, but may in future upgrades and it will save you buying a new mobo.

If you will be utilizing the i7, go for it. just understand for gaming there is no added benefit.

here are 3 other mobo options, each with pros and cons:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - $205
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - $150
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $122

you can get higher models of each, but this gives you an idea of quality z68 mobos that support pci-e 3.0 and can handle everything you throw at it, at a much cheaper cost to the one listed in your build.

My preference is the gigabyte, but the other two are VERY popular among builders
m
l
February 8, 2012 4:29:28 PM

Pci-e 3.0 won't be utilized until ivy comes out. you need a processor that supports it, as well as a mobo that supports it, and a card that has it. the 7000 series works perfectly fine on 2.0, as long as its x16 slot.

And why are you getting win 7 Pro? for most people, its a waste of money.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/co...
m
l
February 9, 2012 12:56:03 AM

I'm getting win 7 pro because everything I read said I need it to take advantage of 16GB of ram. I figured that would be good to have since I am studying game design in school and it will be useful for that. I decided to go with the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I'll also take a look at those ssd's listed above. Thanks a lot for the help guys!
m
l
February 9, 2012 1:29:28 AM

OKay well apparently what I was told about the win7 ram limits was wrong, I'm just going to get Home Premium.
m
l
February 9, 2012 4:42:21 AM

Alex0022 said:
OKay well apparently what I was told about the win7 ram limits was wrong, I'm just going to get Home Premium.

correct :D 
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:08:56 AM

Cool cool. I think I'll go with the Crucial M4. Its cheaper than the one I was considering, and it is much more well received. That probably saved me from a major headache down the road. Thanks! :) 
m
l
!