XFX geforce 8800gs alpha dog bites!

chris3702

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
hello;
i have a xfx 8800gs alpha dog. i install the card, switch on the computer then the vga bios appears but when the mobo bios appears the whole screen is a mess it has lines anywhere, then welcome screen appears but the resolution is 16-bit and still lines anywhere.. ive read this discussion here in tom's about the xfx and conflict with via,etc. and follow instruction to change the xfx bios to palit 9600 gso bios, still it has lines anywhere, i have a backup.rom but it wont change... pls help...

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
make sure you install the drivers for your card. Latest should be on Nvidia's website. NOt sure on changing the card Bios but what you are describing sounds like how my system sometimes reacts when it is first built before I install the drivers for the vid card.

Drivers only come into affect once Windows starts loading. It is literally impossible for that to be the issue here.

@OP: The card is either dead or overheating very quickly. Perhaps try cleaning out the fan/heatsink to see if it is clogged with dust and that is what is causing the problem. Other than that there isn't much you can do.