Windows XP Mode Problem

Longlegs

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I bought a Toshiba Satellite A500 17X Laptop recently.Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.I have since upgraded to Professional.I am trying to download and install the XP Mode from the Microsot website.{I have quit a few bits of software mostly Astronomy which worked in XP but will not install on Windows 7}From the Microsoft web site i selected Professional 64bit from the drop down list.When i tried installing the file a message popped up saying{This
is not a valid Win32 file}So i downloaded the Professional 32bit file.When i tried to install this the same message popped up.According to the videos on the Microsoft web site this should be easy.Anyone know what i am doing wrong.Thank You.Longlegs

Solution
G
From what I'm seeing when I do a Google search, your laptop most likely has an
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P7450 2.13 GHz

Here is a Specification list of Core™2 Duo Mobile Processors.

You can use this list to see what ones support Virtualization see as to aid you with finding a better processor for your laptop so you will be able to run XP Mode. That is if you're up to changing the processor or if you know someone who can do it for you.

mi1ez

Splendid
When you upgraded, did you have to change your product key? If not, right click on computer and click properties and click the link there to change it.

If you DID have to change product key with the upgrade, then I'm stumped!

Longlegs

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
mi1ez yes i did have to change the product key.I have since found out that my Laptop does NOT support Virtulitation which is needed for XP Mode,and this is a £750 Laptop thats about $1300 thats without the $180 for the Upgrade.I have managed to get two of my most important bits of software onto the laptop,the vendors of these both sent me new set up files that work with 64bit systems.But i now have a laptop that will not work with XP Mode.Thank You.Longlegs

G

From what I'm seeing when I do a Google search, your laptop most likely has an
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P7450 2.13 GHz

Here is a Specification list of Core™2 Duo Mobile Processors.

You can use this list to see what ones support Virtualization see as to aid you with finding a better processor for your laptop so you will be able to run XP Mode. That is if you're up to changing the processor or if you know someone who can do it for you.

Solution