Can anyone see anything wrong with my 2012 buget gaming build, if so please educ

kevynova

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hey guys, i'm building a gaming pc and want to make sure ive got the right materials for the job. I dont have any specific games im playing but they are pretty high end games. i video edit, and also record music. i'm not a complete newb with gaming builds but i haven't build a gamer for nearly 1.5 yeah so... i would like some feed back on the specs i have picked please, just for piece of mind. i am planning on OverClocking to around about 4Ghz+. my buget is around about $1,000. Also im am going to duel crossfire the gtx 560's in a later date. any bang for buck help would be appreciated.

Intel Core i5 2500K $225.00
Asus GeForce GTX 560 1GB DirectCU $195.00
Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002 $79.00
Chenbro XPIDER II Case $49.00
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler $95.00
ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard $129.00
G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL (4x4GB) DDR3 $115.00
Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750 $139.00
Sub-total: $1,026.00

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Everything looks like it will work well together. If you really do a lot of video editing, however, I personally would want more than 500GB. In general, I can't in good conscience suggest even a budget build without a small SSD for OS and application launching. I'm not sure what country you are in, but if you can order from newegg you can easily save ~$75-100USD on the prices you have listed and drop the extra into a larger HDD or SSD.

Hope the build turns out nicely!

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Yes, I can see something wrong:
-Memory
-VGA
-CAS

-Memory
Sandy-bridge architecture don't have any real beneficts from faster memory than DDR3-1333mhz.
If you check for some benchmarks you gonna check that. (The apps that really have advantages is some synthetic specific memory benchmarks, i.e., nothing important)

You could check for some standard DDR3-1333mhz memories and save about 30 bucks

Link: Memory recommendation, click the link and choose any of these memories, they are cheaper and more adequated than the one you selected. As a plus look for some low profile memories, it should help you with big CPU coolers as the Noctua NH-D14

-VGA
For the VGA card, some people stats that the reference design is the best for SLI, since it blows hot air from the back, differently than this Asus DirectCU you selected. When you SLI that beast, they will blow the hot air inside the case.. you know what will happen then, change for a reference design if you want to SLI this one.

-CASE
No bottom mounted PSU and no top exaust? Run away!
I'm speaking with experience, since I'm a SLI user.
If you don't exchange that case considering the commentaries I did, you will generate a hot spot in all the upper case area, including the PSU area. Chances are that you will overheat the PSU since it tries to blow hot air down, but as everybody knows hot air likes to go up, so, above the PSU circuitry, out of reach of the fan it will appear a hot spot, specially if you go for SLI! Since the PSU you generate more heat do to higher workload.

I discovered all of that when I actually had this problem, and had trouble touching the upper side of the case as the heat as increasing insanely.
So I bought the CM 690 II and all the problems went over.

EDIT:
Bonus:

-PSU
This PSU costs 100 bucks at newegg right now! It's a nice price!

-CPU Cooler
For 4ghz in i5-2500k you definitely don't need this noctua. A simple 212 EVO should be enough, and it would save right now about 60 bucks if I'm not mistaken

With all the saving invest in a better case, you won't regret

flampton

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I agree totally with Vitornob about the memory, as well as the suggestion that there is no reason to get 16 gb games will never even come close to scratching that (3gb is pretty much the top) Music depending on how many plugins you want to run simultaneosly but 8gb would be fine unless you want to run everything with plugins without saving any of the tracks. And video editing I don't know much, but I can assure you 16gb would be over the top for most editing.

Top mount PSU will definitely not work. As mentioned before, it will suck all the heat from the inside of the computer into itself and use the exhaust fan to push it out the back.

Not to mention the PSU is only going to be maybe 80% efficient anyway, which means if you are pulling 500w that 600w is coming out of the wall and the remaining 100w will be heat internal to the PSU.

The heat will affect the PSU components, though, while it is in there. Heat internal to the PSU degrades components over time and every 1c more heat reduces the maximum amount the PSU can output directly. Even quality PSUs are subject to the regular laws of electricity generation.

Get a HAF 912 or Antec 300 instead and get however many fans you can, but make sure you have at least as many aiming out as in. Ensure the sizes are relatively the same too, because with Pi * R^2 and all that from geometry a single 200 mm will do what many 120mms will do together. Prefer bigger fans to smaller ones because they spin slowerand are quieter.

CPU Cooler - It is probably overkill. You would probably be fine with one that costs half that. The Hyper 212 is commonly used around here.

Other stuff looks OK.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
nice nzxt source 210 would do well as your case or the gamma, if theres not enough holes for air flow just make some, easy ^__^ but if you got a bigger case and want to go for noctua nh-d14 go with it, i use it on my system too, it runs really cool, expensive but worth it, even if you don't overclock, it just looks cool too