Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it wise to get this Q9550?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 24, 2012 6:47:21 PM

So someone from a trusty forum I know is selling a couple of Q9550's for about 150 dollars each and claims they're new. When I asked him to explain, he said he got them straight from HP and they come in unopened packs but do not have stock coolers. Do you think it is okay to buy one? I am thinking of upgrading my CPU (an E5200) for a while now to play Battlefield 3 at reasonable settings and I currently don't have enough money to upgrade to an i series processor and to get both a compatible motherboard and DDR3 rams, so getting a quad core 775 is currently my only option. And my question is, since he claims they are from HP, do you think they might be inferior to the regular retail ones in any way?

More about : wise q9550

a c 105 à CPUs
May 24, 2012 6:50:14 PM

they are OEM CPUs, large vendors like HP, DELL, gateway buy them in bulk. if you trust the buyer then they should be fine and no different then a consumer CPU that comes in a box with a cooler.

it's a good CPU and a very good upgrade for you. a little pricey but all socket 775 are pricey.
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2012 6:54:00 PM

If I hadn't gotten the upgrade bug, I'd still be on my Q9550. If you can trust the buyer then do it. I'd go down to $125 though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 24, 2012 6:57:22 PM

ct1615 said:
they are OEM CPUs, large vendors like HP, DELL, gateway buy them in bulk. if you trust the buyer then they should be fine and no different then a consumer CPU that comes in a box with a cooler.

it's a good CPU and a very good upgrade for you. a little pricey but all socket 775 are pricey.



Thanks a lot for the answer. But what do you think could be the worst case scenario when it comes to its difference with retail ones? Way worse overclocking capacity or overheating problems?
May 24, 2012 6:59:47 PM

First make sure your motherboard can handle that kind of upgrade, some early motherboards don't.
May 24, 2012 7:04:37 PM

baddad said:
First make sure your motherboard can handle that kind of upgrade, some early motherboards don't.



It's a Gigabyte X48-DS5. I'm sure it will handle it very well. Also, another question; could a high quality 500W PSU would be enough to handle the Q9550 with HD5870? Currently, my system works fine without any problems ever since I got the HD5870 a week ago but of course there is a huge bottleneck because of the E5200. But would adding the Q9550 can cause problems?
a c 105 à CPUs
May 24, 2012 7:20:05 PM

Blacktric said:
Thanks a lot for the answer. But what do you think could be the worst case scenario when it comes to its difference with retail ones? Way worse overclocking capacity or overheating problems?


worse case scenario; sometimes the OEM units are not well packaged when shipped so pins may get bent. just ask him to make sure the CPU is packaged well. there is no difference though, they are the exact same CPU. it's like getting 16oz Coke soda bottle or having someone pour you 16oz of Coke into a glass from one of those huge 64oz Coke bottles from BJs.
May 24, 2012 7:21:31 PM

There was a chart here on TH that showed where the cpu/gpu bottleneck starts, I'll have to dig for the link, it's a tad old, but that cpu was probably in it.

regarding the wattage and your PSU, simply look up how many watts each draws, I would suspect, off the hip, that it's going to work just fine.
May 24, 2012 7:37:02 PM

ct1615 said:
worse case scenario; sometimes the OEM units are not well packaged when shipped so pins may get bent. just ask him to make sure the CPU is packaged well. there is no difference though, they are the exact same CPU. it's like getting 16oz Coke soda bottle or having someone pour you 16oz of Coke into a glass from one of those huge 64oz Coke bottles from BJs.



Thanks a lot for the answer again.

Also @newbcakes, thanks. Don't worry about finding it. Your reply was enough. I think I will get it... Again, thanks a lot to everyone for their answers/thoughts.
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2012 7:55:43 PM

You could get a i3/mobo/8GB ddr3 for $200 bucks, it would be more efficient, and it would be an upgradable platform.
May 25, 2012 12:10:12 AM

geekapproved said:
You could get a i3/mobo/8GB ddr3 for $200 bucks, it would be more efficient, and it would be an upgradable platform.



Thanks but I do not think the i3 I can afford could beat a Q9550 in most if any of the games I play. Also like I said, I am buying the CPU to play Battlefield 3 which requires a quad core, not dual. Not to mention the motherboard and ram I buy would again, be horrible in comparison to what I have right now.
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2012 12:30:02 AM

These are 'tray' CPUs; sort of like OEMs, not retail packaging. I see no problem using these.

I have one desktop which has a Q9550. This CPU runs hot. In spite of re-seating the CPU/heatsink twice using Arctic Silver 5, the CPU runs at around 51 degrees C idling at less than 10% load. Installing a new CPU fan did not lower this temp.

On prime 95 at 100% load the temps were 68 degrees C.

Just wanted you to know that this is a hot running CPU. Great performance!

Will I buy the Q9550 again? YES!
a c 105 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 1:10:23 AM

i actually built a PC for someone using an OEM phenom II x4 830 I got for $50. ran fine, temps where fine, he likes the PC.
a c 448 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 1:24:06 AM

The Q9550 is still a pretty decent CPU despite it's age. It's more or less has the performance of a Phenom II X4 965. At $150 it's not a bad deal at all. A used Q9450 generally sells for around $150 while a Q9550 is around $200 on ebay.

My OC'ed Q9450 @ 3.0GHz temperatures are pretty good with an idle temp of 41C and when encoding a video and playing a game it gets up to about 58C. I use Arctic Silver 5 and a Tuniq Tower heatsink. Average room temp is probably around 68F or around 20C.
!