Which PSU would be more reliable long-term?

fpbear

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I had two power supplies fail (Antec and Corsair) that were approx. 5 years old, within a few weeks of each other, and the Antec PSU fried the motherboard. Now I'm building a new system and I am wary of having another PSU failure in the future.

I happen to have two brand new PSUs but I will choose one of them for my main system. My new system will draw only around 300W idle and maybe 400W when loaded, but I'd like to future proof somewhat, for increasingly power hungry video cards.

I have a brand new Cooler Master 850 and a Seasonic 560W.

The Cooler Master 850 gets around 85% efficiency in real world testing, while the Seasonic gets close to 90% efficiency.

The Cooler Master 850 is rated higher, but the Seasonic tends to under-report their capability and tests show that it continues to perform with high efficiency at more than 700W when it finally shuts itself down in the mid 700s.

Which one is less likely to blow up on me 5 years from now? The Seasonic because it has higher quality parts and more efficient design, or the Cooler Master because it is rated for higher wattage and it would be under a lower % load all the time?

Solution
CM make shitty PSU Dont rely on those ........you should be going with the Seasonic...the PSU Makers around and it will last for more than five years unless you are extremely unlucky

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

i am not an expert on psu"s,but from all that i have read,i would say seasonic are better power supplies that coolermaster,what model coolermaster and seasonic psu is that??,and if you think the 560watt is enough for your system,i would use that,if your power requirements increase you can always install the 850watt coolermaster psu if you need to

imranfarid99

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
CM make shitty PSU Dont rely on those ........you should be going with the Seasonic...the PSU Makers around and it will last for more than five years unless you are extremely unlucky

Solution

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

More like they re-badge and sell a range of PSU.. Some of which are terrible. Corsair is a example of a company that re-badges and does it right.