Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade CPU or GPU? Both? Neither? OC instead?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2011 8:17:22 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Any time

BUDGET RANGE: $150-$250

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Battlefield 3, Star Wars: Old Republic Online, Skyrim

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GTX 285 1GB, Corsair 800W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz), PCI-E 2.0 x16, 8 GB DDR2 800

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not much

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Basically, I have this PC and it's 2 1/2 years old. Doing research on other forums led me to believe that I won't get much of a performance increase by upgrading my video card at this time because my CPU won't be able to keep up.

As much as that makes me hesitant, right now I'm looking for a short-term increase in performance in Battlefield 3 and similar games most of all. If I have to upgrade Mobo, CPU, and RAM later on so be it.

The main card I'm considering is a . Right now I get about 15-25 FPS on a large Battlefield 3 map with lots of players on medium settings. Would upgrading the card before upgrading any other PC components be advisable to improve upon this performance? What's the best way to check which (CPU/video card) is holding the PC back the most?

And the alternative option- both my CPU and GPU are running at stock settings at the moment, but both get quite hot during intense activity. One core routinely goes above the tjmax (100 C) during Battlefield 3. Would overclocking be advisable? Would I need new cooling if my PC already runs this hot? Is it even worth it at this stage?

Thanks for any advice you have for me.

More about : upgrade cpu gpu

a c 1362 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 8:35:38 PM

You will have to be closer to $250 with the GPU upgrade, GTX560TI or HD6950 to be worth it. You can then overclock your CPU to reduce any potential bottleneck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 8:37:39 PM

In medium settings your BF3 issue is almost certainly a CPU bottleneck, so overclocking it should help some. Skyrim might also benefit from overclocking. TOR you shouldn't have any problems running at high detail as is if don't crank up the AA settings.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 8:53:40 PM

Don't buy now, wait for next-gen everything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 8:57:08 PM

100C is a lot hot! Perhaps you want to change the cpu termal paste. Which is your case, and how about its air flow?

I second rolli59 advice on gpu and OC.

You will need a after market cpu cooler like the one below for a moderated OC.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a more agreessive OC you will need something like:

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mind that you can use the video card and cpu cooler in your next rig.

m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 9:55:30 PM

1) Your GTX285 is still a quite good card. If you change to a GTX560ti, you may be disappointed because it is not that big of a jump.
If the gpu is your main limitation, I think you are looking at a GTX570 or GTX580.

2) If your temperatures are getting high, perhaps it is your case cooling . Try taking the side panels off and directing a house fan at the innards.
Or, if you are using the stock cooler, it might not be mounted well. With the power to the pc disconnected, try to wiggle the cooler. If it moves, you need to remount it. The stock pushpins are notoriously hard to mount properly. If you get a modest aftermarket cooler, you will do better, and it can be carried over to a new build later. It need not be expensive. The Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212 are about $30.

3) To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
m
l
December 9, 2011 10:08:05 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm leaning toward holding off on the video card purchase until I've tried overclocking with a better CPU fan.

I got down to a "cool" 90 degrees C in BF3 as a result of de-dusting the heatsink. Idles at 60. I'll probably purchase a new fan (current one is stock) and try then try OC.

On that note, I know of this guide for overclocking. Is there a more up-to-date version? Maybe one specific to my Q9550? I'm a total noob when it comes to this.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
December 9, 2011 10:31:49 PM

I say overclock your CPU and perhaps upgrade your GPU. You need to go to a GTX 560Ti or Radeon 6950 for it to be a significant upgrade. I say you would be better off adding a second card to run in SLI though they would be a little hard to find :D . You really need a new cooler though.
m
l
December 10, 2011 8:48:16 AM

For the money you are looking to spend you will not see a satisfying enough difference in a new gpu. Your cpu is also just fine in my personal opinion.

When your system was built I think you made wise decisions and your components today are still very viable for any game on the market.

Honestly at this point and with your budget I would just spend $60-$90 on cooling and you will notice a drastic difference in your temperatures (yes that is how bad the intel stock coolers are) Then overclock your cpu.

Some fanbois may not like this but clock for clock/ core for core, the core 2 quads still have every bit as much muscle as the outgoing phenom II's which actually perform better in average gaming than the new bulldozers.

And if you can stumble apon another gtx 285 for cheap somewhere around the way? Fuhgetaboutit. Now you have a real high performing machine for 1920x1200. Though one gtx 285 is nothing to shake a stick at. Not just yet anyway.
m
l
!