ajcurran94

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Are these CPUs good for anything?
Anything at all?

I thought about getting an FX-8150, because the only game I play is World of Warcraft.
World of Warcraft is a really CPU intensive game, and I could run it with the FX-8150 and an HD 7850.

Hi :)

So tell me why you think the 2500k would be better in WOW ???

What PRECISELY will it do that the 8150 cannot do as well ?

All the best Brett :)

Better, as in a few FPS better. I never said that it would be tremendously better. Don't be argumentative Brett...

And there's nothing the 8150 can't do that the 2500K can. That's not at all the point. Just that the 2500K is better overall in games (if only marginally, in some cases. In others the margin widens, but WOW isn't one of those, so that's why I said that the 8150 would be fine).

He asked about an 8150....it will run WOW as well as a 2500k at a LOT LESS COST....with NO FPS advantage either way....

Read the edit to my last reply. I'm not disagreeing with you on WOW performance. The FPS difference between them will be ~5FPS, if that. Stop trying to make it an argument. You do that way too much around here.

And you DO the i3,i5,i7 is perfect for everything a LOT too much....

My shops sell BOTH...AMD and INTEL CPUS...

I have NO bias either way as long as they make me a profit....

There are too many Fanboys of both cpu manufacturers here....

He asked , I answered....with an UNBIASED opinion....

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
if your buying the mobo and cpu new go with 2500k or i3 2100. if AM3 just get a P2 980 and save the money from buying 4 worthless cores in a gaming instance. honestly the i3 would be a good choice for wow, a core 2 duo could probably run that game fine at high settings, but i haven't played it before so thats just an estimate.

the reason the 2500k is widely acclaimed is it's (general gaming) superiority over AMDs flagship with half the cores. for analysis, encoding, and multitasking the 8150 stands toe to toe with the 2500k and is better sometimes. i'm not here to pick fights with amd but there is a good reason the 2500k is a common gaming cpu because of its price and performance as well as the overclocking potential.

And so did I... Just stated the facts.

Seriously, what part of what I said was biased and not truth? A 8150 will perform worse than a 2500K in games. That's irrefutable. No fanboyism involved in that.

The INTEL....WONT work better in WOW...thats my point....

It might in other games , but not WOW....

ajcurran94

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I think I might just save some money in the long run and get an i5 2500K.
I won't risk getting the 8150 and not being happy with it.

I'll probably just grab a GTX 560 Ti 448 to go with it.

1] Buying a SB setup with a cheaper and slightly better IB setup available is rather poor advise.

2] PII 980 will cost you $160, a new FX 8120 will cost you $160, come to choice the FX has a lot more future in it for non gaming apps, but ample game to play anything to your hearts content on ultra at way above playable frame rates. You can of course overkill if you like and go with the $220 Intel setup.