Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Paste

Last response: in Components
May 24, 2012 8:19:35 PM

I need thermal paste for my i5-2500k. I will not be overclocking as it is meant to be a family computer and last atleast 5 years. However, i am running the computer in performance mode in the UEFI BIOS, which will increase temperatures. I am using the stock cooler.

I have never applied thermal paste yet, so i will need several tries i think to get the CPU Fan in properly.

These are the two pastes i am looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

The second is cheaper, and can be used four times. I was leaning towards this, but i really don't know much about paste.

Any advice? Will the latter be noticeably worse than the first, and will this make a difference?

Finally, the reason im getting thermal paste is because i had to reapply my CPU fan. This was after weeks of use. However, if i make a mistake in installing the CPU fan, and i remove it within a minute or so, will i still need to reapply thermal paste?

If you know of any guides on how to apply the paste, feel free to link them, that would help me a lot.

Thanks!

More about : thermal paste

May 24, 2012 8:24:47 PM

Neither. Arctic Silver 5
m
l
May 24, 2012 8:55:04 PM

SSri said:
Neither. Arctic Silver 5

Must be from tigerdirect.ca, unless there is something extra special about the paste that will make me want to drive to a store, or paying shipping at newegg

What makes it so good?
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2012 10:56:06 PM

Mayo.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:17:17 AM

you can use mustard....for a while
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:30:44 AM

mastrom101 said:
you can actually use zinc? like the white paste stuff?

Zinc oxide powder suspended in silicone-based grease to form a paste does exist. I have a tube of the stuff from GC Chemical and it works reasonably well.

Graphite paste (might be sold in car shops as high-temperature "anti-squeal" grease for brake shoes) should work fairly well. That stuff is electrically conductive though, so beware of spills.
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:41:43 AM

mastrom101 said:
you can actually use zinc? like the white paste stuff?

@amuffin Troll?

Actually, I'm surprised at how good mayo performs :heink: 
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:51:19 AM

amuffin said:
Actually, I'm surprised at how good mayo performs :heink: 

I was expecting chocolate to fare better than nothing... they should lick it up and re-set to make sure they applied it properly!
m
l
!