New GPU fails in PCIeX16_1, tearing/pixelation in PCIeX16_2

PatrickJM

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to help me out. I've been a frequent lurker of TH but this is the first time I've gotten a problem I couldn't fix on my own.

First, my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68
RAM: G. Skill RipjawsX 8GB (4x2) DDR3 2133
GPU: MSi Twin Frozr Radeon HD 6950 2GB
SSD: OCZ Solid 3 120GB
HDD: Samsung 7200 1TB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Here's what happened. Using the integrated gfx from the Core i7, I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) and the drivers for my expansion cards. I then shut down and disconnected my PSU to install the GPU. Upon boot, I get a beep that confirms I got as far as POST, but there's no signal coming to my monitor. This particular MOBO comes with an LED indicating there's an issue with the VGA. After disconnecting and reseating it a couple times, nothing changes. I decide to try putting it in the 2nd PCIe slot (this required disconnecting just about everything and moving my harddrive to make room) and this time I manage to get to my Windows log-in screen, but it's pixelated and looks terrible.

My worst suspicion is that it's a fautly GPU, and I hate having to RMA stuff. The reason I suspect it's the GPU is because I tested it on a different PC with a Gigabyte Mobo and it was pixelated there too.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try updating the drivers. I'm really hoping it's a driver issue or maybe even a BIOS issue because I'd hate to have to RMA this card.

PatrickJM

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Update: Okay so I managed to update the drivers despite barely being able to read the screen. Upon boot everything seemed to work fine and thought I could finally relax...

...and yet, you won't believe this. I decided to play one game of Solitaire as a minor celebration of finally getting everything installed, and as soon as I won the game, the screen went black and got stuck that way. The monitor was still getting a signal, it was just all black. Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't do anything.

A game of solitaire, really? This on top of the issue with the first port has me baffled.

monsta

Splendid
I feel that you may have to RMA that card , you have tried it in another system and it appears to be faulty.
The best you can do right now is try different drivers or even update the bios for the card from MSI and see if it makes any difference.

PatrickJM

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still wondering about why it doesn't work at all in the first slot. Is it possible I'm just not seating it all the way? Any chance it's the PSU (which I also used when I tested it on the other system since it didn't have one) ?

I suppose I can find out if it really is the card later tonight before going to work (which is right next door to a CompUSA) but I would like this thread to remain open in case anyone has more wisdom to share.

PatrickJM

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Haha, yeah I plugged them both in. If I forget to the fans spin uncomfortably fast.

TRENDING THREADS