Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Understanding CPU Differences

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 24, 2012 9:13:16 PM

Hi,

I was wondering what the difference was between these 3 CPUs other than overclocking & graphic capabilities (since I'm using a AMD 6970 2gb)

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Currently I'm overclocking an i7-920 at 3.8 ghz (4.17 the boost) and again I was wondering how these other CPUs set themselves apart other than higher OC speeds & graphic capabilities.



a c 82 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2012 9:25:39 PM

you'll get some increase from the 2700/3770 but not huge amounts, there's only one generation of difference.
m
0
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2012 9:30:14 PM

The 2xxx/3xxx use LGA1155 with dual-channel DDR3 instead of the 920's LGA1366 triple-channel, that's the only other major difference between the three since you have already thrown out IGP and speeds.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 233 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
a c 100 å Intel
May 24, 2012 9:41:16 PM

Nehalem
The i7 920 is a first generation "i" series chip based on a 45nm manufacturing process. It is stock clocked at 2.66Ghz/2.93Ghz Turbo and will top out in the 3.8-4Ghz range when overclocking with air cooling. It uses the LGA 1366 platform and was launched in 2008. These are 130w CPUs.

Sandy Bridge
The i7 2700K is a second generation "i" series chip based on a 32nm manufacturing process. Stock it is clocked at 3.5Ghz with 3.9Ghz Turbo. It will top out in the 4.5-5Ghz range with air cooling. It uses the LGA 1155 platform and was launched in 2011. It is about 15-20% faster clock for clock than the i7 920. Meaning at equal clock speeds it would be 15-20% faster. These use 95 watts.

Ivy Bridge
The i7 3770 is the third generation "i" series and is based on a 22nm manufacturing process and was launched about a month ago. It also uses the LGA 1155 platform. It is clocked at 3.5Ghz-3.9Ghz Turbo. The new 22nm chips get hot quick when overclocking and are not quite as good at it as the older Sandy Bridge chips are. You can expect in the 4.5Ghz range with air cooling. These chips are about roughly ~10% or a little less faster clock for clock than Sandy Bridge. These are 77w CPUs.

As you already stated Sandy and Ivy Bridge have integrated graphics as well.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2012 10:10:18 PM

Personal view, if you already have an i7 920 and overclock it to ~ 4GHz there's no point upgrading.

You will see no practical benefit at all. Yes, they are faster but still in the same league. The performance benefit will only manifest itself in CPU limited situations and even then, is marginal.

I upgraded from i7 920 @ 4GHz to i7 2700K, but only because I was forced to due to a dead motherboard. The real world advantage I got from doing so: nothing whatsoever.
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 10:23:07 PM

Hi Guys/Gails,

Thanks for all the info!
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 24, 2012 10:27:05 PM

anort3 said:
Nehalem
The i7 920 is a first generation "i" series chip based on a 45nm manufacturing process. It is stock clocked at 2.66Ghz/2.93Ghz Turbo and will top out in the 3.8-4Ghz range when overclocking with air cooling. It uses the LGA 1366 platform and was launched in 2008. These are 130w CPUs.

Sandy Bridge
The i7 2700K is a second generation "i" series chip based on a 32nm manufacturing process. Stock it is clocked at 3.5Ghz with 3.9Ghz Turbo. It will top out in the 4.5-5Ghz range with air cooling. It uses the LGA 1155 platform and was launched in 2011. It is about 15-20% faster clock for clock than the i7 920. Meaning at equal clock speeds it would be 15-20% faster. These use 95 watts.

Ivy Bridge
The i7 3770 is the third generation "i" series and is based on a 22nm manufacturing process and was launched about a month ago. It also uses the LGA 1155 platform. It is clocked at 3.5Ghz-3.9Ghz Turbo. The new 22nm chips get hot quick when overclocking and are not quite as good at it as the older Sandy Bridge chips are. You can expect in the 4.5Ghz range with air cooling. These chips are about roughly ~10% or a little less faster clock for clock than Sandy Bridge. These are 77w CPUs.

As you already stated Sandy and Ivy Bridge have integrated graphics as well.

^+1 agreed.
m
0
l
a c 233 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
a c 100 å Intel
May 24, 2012 11:40:23 PM

I left out something rather important. Starting with Sandy Bridge the memory controller was moved off the motherboard on to the CPU itself.
m
0
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 25, 2012 12:20:36 AM

anort3 said:
I left out something rather important. Starting with Sandy Bridge the memory controller was moved off the motherboard on to the CPU itself.

Integrated memory controllers are on ALL i3/5/7 CPUs including gen-1 (Clarkdale, Arandale, Clarksfield, etc.) models.
m
0
l
a c 233 à CPUs
a c 106 K Overclocking
a c 100 å Intel
May 25, 2012 12:28:22 AM

InvalidError said:
Integrated memory controllers are on ALL i3/5/7 CPUs including gen-1 (Clarkdale, Arandale, Clarksfield, etc.) models.



Yep you are right. I totally forgot it was with the first "i" series processors it was moved off the motherboard.

Oh well, I skipped the first gens. I went from an E8400 to the 2600K. Glad you caught that. I guess I should have looked it up before posting. :whistle: 
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 25, 2012 8:19:22 AM

anort3 said:
I went from an E8400 to the 2600K.

Me too! :D 
m
0
l
!