[nVidia PhysX] 560ti OC or i5 2500k

Status
Not open for further replies.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I currently have a EVGA nVidia 560ti OC'ed and a stock i5 s500k running at 3.30Ghz. I was wondering in the nVidia control panel what would handle physX better. Should I leave it to let the program decide, my i5, or my 560ti? My 560ti was Overclocked by EVGA and runs at 1800MHz shader clock and 900MHz core clock.

Solution
Well , I would only do the switching back and forth if there was only one card , if there were two or more cards then I wouuld leave it at the Nvidia recomended setting. The reason I said that about BF3 is because it is a very graphic card intensive game and really makes the card stress out , so to relieve some of the stress of the card I would switch the physix to the cpu. It may very well be that the card can handle both but the only way to determine that is to run some benchmarks with the physix on the card and then on the cpu and see if the fps changes much if at all , I'm thinking it will but you never know. One sure way for you to tell is run the game with the Physix on the card and see what happens , is the gameplay smooth are...
There is a setting that is the recomended setting and I usually go with that , but the good thing about it is that you can change it when you want and when you play a game like BF3 you can choose the cpu since the game is primarily a gpu focused game. Then change it back when you play a different game.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

So really it just all depends if its a GPU or CPU dependent game?

Well , I would only do the switching back and forth if there was only one card , if there were two or more cards then I wouuld leave it at the Nvidia recomended setting. The reason I said that about BF3 is because it is a very graphic card intensive game and really makes the card stress out , so to relieve some of the stress of the card I would switch the physix to the cpu. It may very well be that the card can handle both but the only way to determine that is to run some benchmarks with the physix on the card and then on the cpu and see if the fps changes much if at all , I'm thinking it will but you never know. One sure way for you to tell is run the game with the Physix on the card and see what happens , is the gameplay smooth are there any artifacts , pixellation or any other problems and then run it on the cpu and see if there are any changes for the better.

Solution

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Okay, thanks man

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I have an i5 2500k because it came at a good price and I'm not overclocking it because It's a good CPU. I'm not going to void the warranty when there's no need to. I use it for GTA IV, Mafia II, and allot of heavy resource games and it works just fine so I don't feel the need to void my warranty for a few FPS. I will however probably overclock it in the future when my warranty runs out and I start to lag.... or I'll simply just buy another CPU and not overclock either of them :p

The whole point of a 2500k over the cheaper 2500 is that it has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking so I can't see how it would void the warranty. Even if that were the case it would be impossible for them to tell if you have done so without you purposely telling them.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

So if I OC and fry the thing they will replace it?

I don't know what you have heard about overclocking but I doubt you could "fry" one of those processors if you purposely set out to do so. Modern processors have built in safety mechanisms that make it basically impossible.

Helltech

Distinguished

As far as I understood, and I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Intel stated overclocking on the K series CPUs does not void your warranty.

Plus you aren't going to fry it, you'd have to do something mega idiotic. The worst that's going to happen is you're computer doesn't boot or you run into a blue screen.

Just follow a tutorial for a MILD overclock and get a decent CPU heatsink on there, like the Havik.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Okay, so if I would acadentlly OC it too much it would shut down right? I know about thermal management and that stuff.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Okay. I've been looking at heatsinks for few days now on Newegg so I'll find a good one and fill the rest of my fan mounts on my case.

Helltech

Distinguished

The NZXT Havik is one of the best coolers available, and its priced relatively well. Look into it. The Silver Arrow and NH-D14 are both very good too but are a bit more costly.

If you have few funds available the Hyper 212+ is a great cooler on budget.

Yeah, the Hyper 212 Plus or Evo are great for the money. These processors are really easy to OC and can go quite high safely. You should easily be able to add another ghz and that would actually be a rather mild OC for these chips.
FYI I just actually tried to google and find people who managed to ruin one of these through overclocking and I could only find one thread and that actually turned out to be a motherboard he ruined rather than the CPU by accidentally setting the voltage stupidly high.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

My friend just bought Hyper 212 for his new rig hes building. I'm going to help him build it next week and he's getting the same processor as me too. Ill see what his temps are. Mine right now are 25-30 degrees non-load. In game I don't go up too much, I already have x3 120mm fans and a OEM Heatsink from Intel. I just sold my old HD 6770 1GB on ebay so when the funds come in I will buy x3 more 120mm fans and probably the Hyper 212. It seems to be very popular.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

You can still fry one pretty easily if you don't have a clue what you are doing and put the voltage too high or a few other things. However it is substantially easier and safer today than it was in the past.

I'm not seeing it. Got any reports of this happening?

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to be careful I just get nervous because I don't have allot of money in case anything goes wrong. I guess that would be the main issue. But you guys say it wont void my warranty and I'm currently reading my booklet (I know, I'm a nerd :D) So I'll look further into OCing it.

If Intel did not want the cpu overclocked then why did they make a cpu with an unlocked multiplier and sell it to the public in that state and then make the same exact model with the multiplier locked.

Helltech

Distinguished

Yeah the reason I don't like the Hyper 212+ personally is I don't like the direct touch heat-pipes, I don't know why I'm just not a fan myself. I get nervous about the thermal paste application (not that it really even matters but I still do).

The Havik is a beast, it just as good as the NH-D14 while being much smaller. A little louder, but looks much better so... yeah. Its the one that gets my vote. I just installed one the other day, it was really simple too.

But the 212+ being a budget cooler, it gets the job done well.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Okay, thanks allot guys. This really helped me. I came into here looking to look for the PhysX question and I was pleased that I learned about OCing a little more. I'll look into heatsinks and I'll get back to you guys if i can about what I decided to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.