Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a good CPU to pair with Radeon HD 6850

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 24, 2012 9:53:42 PM

Like the title says, i need a new CPU that won't bottleneck everything like my Athlon II X3 does right now. I'm not really sure which CPU to buy so i need some advice.
a c 105 à CPUs
May 24, 2012 10:00:46 PM

phenom II x4, you won't need to purchase a new motherboard (check to see it supports phenom II CPUs first)
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 12:47:22 AM

+1^
But I doubt the AthIIX3 is that much of a bottleneck for the HD 6850. Have you tried unlocking the dormant core?
m
0
l
Related resources
May 25, 2012 4:18:10 AM

ct1615 said:
phenom II x4, you won't need to purchase a new motherboard (check to see it supports phenom II CPUs first)


The best phenom X4 my board can support is the 960T. it can actually support all cpu's that have a max TDP of 95W
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 4:18:35 AM

clutchc said:
+1^
But I doubt the AthIIX3 is that much of a bottleneck for the HD 6850. Have you tried unlocking the dormant core?


I need a new board for that...
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 7:06:27 AM

Lazar_99 said:
I need a new board for that...

depend how much watts support your mobo and if it's capable UCC,
you must write your mobo name to know if its good to go
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 11:35:05 AM

Lazar_99 said:
The best phenom X4 my board can support is the 960T. it can actually support all cpu's that have a max TDP of 95W


it's a decent upgrade
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 1:14:16 PM

Fer_saiyan said:
depend how much watts support your mobo and if it's capable UCC,
you must write your mobo name to know if its good to go


my motherboard is a Biostar N68S3+ and i already now it is capable of feeding a cpu that needs 95W max. The best phenom II X4 that it supports is the 960T
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 1:16:18 PM

ct1615 said:
it's a decent upgrade


that's good. now where am i gonna find an amd phenom II X4 that is supported on my board? the only phenoms i found in stores are 965 BE and those six core phenoms.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 1:41:23 PM

phenom II x4 955 95w version, your mobo supports it (i just checked)

OEM on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the following CPUs are on microcenter and are 95w, your local store (if you live near one) may have more options

Phenom II X3 B73 - a slight upgrade
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Phenom II X4 B93 - 95w CPU
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

you can also check amazon & ebay
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 2:27:36 PM

Of the choices presented by ct1615 above, the PhII X4 955 is the best choice for gaming. Since you obviously already have a 95W+ cooler, it should be a good way to go.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 6:36:21 PM

ct1615 said:
phenom II x4 955 95w version, your mobo supports it (i just checked)

OEM on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the following CPUs are on microcenter and are 95w, your local store (if you live near one) may have more options

Phenom II X3 B73 - a slight upgrade
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Phenom II X4 B93 - 95w CPU
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

you can also check amazon & ebay


If i buy a motherboard that supports core unlocking will i get rid of the bottleneck with a unlocked Athlon II 445? i heard it also gets the L3 cache when unlocked
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 7:03:25 PM

The L3 cache is only available if it is a Deneb core. The L3 isn't present if it's a Propus core. Look at the CPU's OPN number. If it starts out AC, it is a Deneb core and has an L3 cache. If it starts out AC, it's a Propus core and you have no L3 cache.
http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Unlocking_cores_and_L...
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 7:05:35 PM

Lazar_99 said:
If i buy a motherboard that supports core unlocking will i get rid of the bottleneck with a unlocked Athlon II 445? i heard it also gets the L3 cache when unlocked


the athlon II x3 445 does not bottleneck your GPU as much as you think, especially if you overclock it.
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 7:43:26 PM

ct1615 said:
the athlon II x3 445 does not bottleneck your GPU as much as you think, especially if you overclock it.


Overclocking isn't an option on this motherboard, even if i properly set the voltage and a slightly higher frequency it starts normal but on the next reboot or startup it won't boot and i need to return everything on default. I even had to clear the CMOS to be able to boot at all. I hate this CPU (though the motherboard is to blame for not being able to OC) but i wouldn't need to OC if it was faster. Its a pathetic processor for gaming and bottlenecks with stronger video cards, also it needs an aftermarket cooler because it runs too hot with the stock cooler. What a waste of money (i had this since july 2010 but back then i had the GF 9800gt). Well, it looks like i'm going with the phenom II X4 955 or 960T. This Sh**ty processor will go on my second PC which i'm building for my dad
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 9:07:08 PM

Which speed Athlon II X3 do you have? And what resolution are you gaming at that gives you the poor frame rates?
m
0
l
May 25, 2012 10:40:55 PM

clutchc said:
Which speed Athlon II X3 do you have? And what resolution are you gaming at that gives you the poor frame rates?


Speed: 3.1 GHz
Resolution 1920x1080

and i don't have poor frame rats in games like battlefield 3 and need for speed the run but gta 4 is unplayable due to chopping and cutting. Btw, my Athlon isn't a propus, its a Rana
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 26, 2012 2:40:11 AM

Lazar_99 said:
Speed: 3.1 GHz
Resolution 1920x1080

and i don't have poor frame rats in games like battlefield 3 and need for speed the run but gta 4 is unplayable due to chopping and cutting. Btw, my Athlon isn't a propus, its a Rana

OK. Then your Athlon II X3 only has 3 cores to start with. There would be no 4th core to unlock anyway (and no L3 cache). Sorry. I should have asked that question first off.

1080p resolution is pushing the HD 6850 with any processor you could choose. It's really a 1680x1050 or less card when using maximum graphics settings in GTA 4. Granted, a really fast processor (Intel SB/IB)will improve the frame rate (especially in some CPU intensive games). But you are reaching the limits of the HD 6850 @ 1080p if you want to get all the eye candy out of it with GTA 4.
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 4:00:31 AM

agreed. high res needs higher videocards.
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 8:22:19 AM

clutchc said:
OK. Then your Athlon II X3 only has 3 cores to start with. There would be no 4th core to unlock anyway (and no L3 cache). Sorry. I should have asked that question first off.

1080p resolution is pushing the HD 6850 with any processor you could choose. It's really a 1680x1050 or less card when using maximum graphics settings in GTA 4. Granted, a really fast processor (Intel SB/IB)will improve the frame rate (especially in some CPU intensive games). But you are reaching the limits of the HD 6850 @ 1080p if you want to get all the eye candy out of it with GTA 4.


Well in theory this card should perform better than the GTX 460. My friend has a GTX 460 paired with a Phenom II X3 710 and unlocked its 4th core and he gets 65 fps in gta 4. I also forgot to tell you that with my old geforce GT 240 i got 30 fps in gta 4 with the same settings.
m
0
l
a c 333 à CPUs
May 26, 2012 3:14:32 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Well in theory this card should perform better than the GTX 460. My friend has a GTX 460 paired with a Phenom II X3 710 and unlocked its 4th core and he gets 65 fps in gta 4. I also forgot to tell you that with my old geforce GT 240 i got 30 fps in gta 4 with the same settings.

You were averaging 30 FPS @ 1080p with a GT 240... playing GTA4!!!!???? Please...
m
0
l
May 26, 2012 4:15:20 PM

clutchc said:
You were averaging 30 FPS @ 1080p with a GT 240... playing GTA4!!!!???? Please...


do it yourself then you'll see its possible. You obviously don't know anything about the R6850 or you just never played gta 4.
m
0
l
a c 105 à CPUs
May 26, 2012 4:58:43 PM

Lazar_99 said:
Well in theory this card should perform better than the GTX 460. My friend has a GTX 460 paired with a Phenom II X3 710 and unlocked its 4th core and he gets 65 fps in gta 4. I also forgot to tell you that with my old geforce GT 240 i got 30 fps in gta 4 with the same settings.


the AMD 6850 & GTX 460 are on par with each other, you would not see any difference between the two cards. the real benefit is your friends unlocked phenom II x4. GTA IV has always been a poorly optimized games.

by the way, the athlon II x3 can be unlocked to 4 cores (if lucky)

GTA 4 reacts so strongly to increases in graphics memory, CPU performance, and GPU performance that it's easy to constantly wonder if you're fully utilizing your expensive hardware or not. The game’s need for CPU speed is so strong that not even four cores can really satisfy it. Frame rates with a single-core CPU are so ridiculous that the game is practically unplayable. Even with two cores, GPU utilization is just 69 percent. Fewer than four cores are unthinkable for this game in our opinion.

Overclocking the CPU shows that the game just can't get enough CPU performance. To increase frame rates in GTA 4, you need at least four CPU cores, and when overclocking those cores to the max, you can start thinking about upgrading to a better graphics card. In the video settings, you can incrementally set the amount of graphics memory used by the game. This way, 768 MB can actually be enough, but as far as we could make out, only 630 MB are actually used at that setting. GTA 4 can take advantage of more than 1 GB of graphics memory, so if you like the game and play it a lot, you should definitely consider a graphics card with lots of onboard memory.


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...

m
0
l
!