Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from GeForce GT430 Fermi - need suggestions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 1:25:43 AM

Hello all I'm look into upgrading my graphics card but I'm not sure what to get. I don't know a lot about computer hardware so I would really appreciate some help.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Likely within a month

BUDGET RANGE: 200-300 may be willing to go slightly over

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Most of the newer games (Skyrim, BF3) and I play WoW but that doesn't require much ;) 

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Currently running an EVGA nVidia GeForce GT430 Fermi 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 and an ePower 550W 12V PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU: AMD II x2 260 Regor 3.2 GHz Mobo: Biostar A880G+ Micro ATX AM3 AMD
RAM: 2GB Rendition by Crucial (upgrading to 8GB when I get the GPU though
so suggestions on good RAM also welcome.)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really

OVERCLOCKING: Possibly overclocking but I don't know anything about it. SLI/Crossfire isn't an option as I don't
have the room on my mobo

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Using a Sony Bravia as my monitor, I think the max res is 1366x760 but I'm not positive

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Any help is appreciated I want the best I can get for around 200 bucks if you need
any more info just let me know. Also I completely edited this because I saw this form
in the stickies section. So sorry about the original format.
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 1:32:19 AM

What is your budget for everything?
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2011 1:40:41 AM

Well I'll probably have to upgrade the PSU as well so my budget will be around 250-300. Willing to go slightly over but not much probably no more than about 320 and that's pushing it. I'm a college student with a part time job delivering pizzas so I don't have a lot of money, or I would have just built a way better PC to begin with. I'm still using the HDD and disc drive from my 6 year old Dell Inspiron lol.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 1:42:18 AM

Well both ATI and Nvidia cards are both good it is up you to you to pick. Everybody will tell you which one to get but you have to look at what you have and what you want the card to do for you.

Anyway the GTX 560 Ti Fermi is good. Also the HD 6950 is just a little bit faster than the 560. Both cards are very good.

If you want to get into the graphic and stuff you should look into a higher end card with a bigger PSU and CPU. Your PSU providing what brand it is, will handle the 560 or 6950.

When you put the one stick of ram of 8gigs don't mix it with the other ram. They all should be the same. I hope this helped a little. and good luck
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:45:00 AM

DM186 said:
Well both ATI and Nvidia card are both good it is you to you to pick. everybody will tell you which one to get but you have to look at what you have and what you want the card to do for you.

Anyway the GTX 560 Ti Fermi is good and for now will work for what you want to do. Also the HD 6950 is just a little bit faster than the 560.

If you want to get into the graphic and stuff you should look into a higher end card with a bigger PSU and CPU. Your PSU now will handle the 560 or 6950.

When you put the one stick of ram of 8gigs don't mix it with the other ram. They all should be the same. I hope this helped a little. and good luck

What would you suggest for going a little bit better than the 560 or 6850 but staying within my 250-300 dollar budget (RAM and PSU included)
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 1:50:27 AM

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$239.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The reason I recomended the 560Ti is that it is only a few dollrs more and has a lot more stream ptosessors/processor cores , the Ti has 384 while ther regular 560 has 336.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
$46.99

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR
$39.99

m
l
December 10, 2011 2:00:17 AM

I just realized I'm about to spend more on a new graphics card and RAM than I did on my entire PC when I first built it lol. Anyway I think I'm going to go with the 560Ti and CORSAIR Vengeance RAM that inzone suggested. Not sure what the numbers mean but bigger must be beter ;)  I don't see anything on the newegg site that says the required power supply wattage. Will my current 550W work? I'll probably have to get some fans as I just have the one exhaust fan that came with my case. Having lower end hardware I never needed much in the way of cooling. I think I only have one spot on my case for another fan though :( . I'm starting to think about going all out and just build a whole new pc and sell this one lol
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 2:02:22 AM

The 560Ti will work with the psu that you have and with your budget that's about as high as you will get as you can see the prices that I listed and those don't inlcude a psu. With a $300 budget you can get the 560Ti and the 8gb of ram if you want more than that then you will be spending more. The next card up the ladder is the GTX 570 and that goes for around $350.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 2:04:19 AM

Shavako said:
What would you suggest for going a little bit better than the 560 or 6850 but staying within my 250-300 dollar budget (RAM and PSU included)

your e-power PSU will not work on heavy stress loads Even though the 550w is enough to run the 560 on normal loads. You might be looking at around 80 dollars for a better brand or you might have to settle for 6850.

Look at it this way any card bigger than the GT 430 is a big inprovement. Here is a link to the top PSUs to worst. You will have to shop untill you can match a price for your Ram, GPU, and your PSU.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

It would be nice to be able to get what everybody here is suggesting and they all know the good stuff. Maybe these guys on here can help you find a good match with in your budget.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 2:06:25 AM

The Evga 560Ti actually requires a 500w psu in the computer so you won't need a new psu. The Corsair Vengence is a good choice.
m
l
December 10, 2011 2:10:10 AM

I'm really considering just splurging and increasing my budget to 600-700 and just building a new PC. Then I could try to sell this one for about 100 bucks. Cause I'm not going to be able to really upgrade my cpu with my current mobo and I'll never be able to crossfire/sli with it. Think I could get the the GPU and RAM we've mentioned as well as a new mobo, CPU, PSU, HDD, disk drive, and case for around $650 - 700?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 3:27:43 AM

Shavako said:
I'm really considering just splurging and increasing my budget to 600-700 and just building a new PC. Then I could try to sell this one for about 100 bucks. Cause I'm not going to be able to really upgrade my cpu with my current mobo and I'll never be able to crossfire/sli with it. Think I could get the the GPU and RAM we've mentioned as well as a new mobo, CPU, PSU, HDD, disk drive, and case for around $650 - 700?

If you do that you should come up with a good case with lots of fans and plenty of room for upgrading later. Make sure your MOBO will support two PCIe x 16 slots incase you want to go SLI or Crossfire later on.

Like a Z68 or others in the same class and the cooler for your CPU either H2o for Fans. Also you could look into the i5 2500k CPU. You could go to these build places and build one but not order it. Like Cyberpower.

You can mess around a lot and see what you come up with then write down all the hardwear then shop on line and find all the parts for cheaper than Cyberpower. Thats what I did.

There are other build sites you can do the same with. I wish you the best. If you ever get it up and going come back and share it.
m
l
!