SSD or better GPU?

Hello all,
I will be ordering all my components from newegg and amazon at ~4pm. I had selected a 128GB Crucial M4 for $165 and a EVGA 560 Ti 448 core for $280. A buddy of mine said "wait on the SSD and get a better GPU" ... I am not necessarily apposed to this idea, however I was really looking forward to the SSD load times in SWTOR... I will staying at no more than the cost of the 560Ti+SSD so the budget for both is $445 (or for one depending on your suggestion). This is the build other than the GPU and SSD:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 mobo

Intel i5 2500K CPU

G.Skill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3

Corsair 600T Case

Corsair TX750 PSU

Samsung 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard drive

What do you guys and gals think?

Please if you have time support your suggestion with facts not JUST opinion, obviously opinion weighs heavily but I really want this to be the best/buck scenario.

Thank you for your time!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. That 560 Ti 448 is an excellent card. Upgrading in the future could be difficult (due to rarity of the card) but I think it'd be best to go GPU+SSD.

    While the 7950 is no doubt a great card that will dominate almost all games, SWTOR included, It would be more of a hassle to install a new SSD than it would be to install a new video card.

    I say get the 560 Ti 448 and the M4 now. Upgrade when you can. A pair of 560 Ti 448's would slaughter a most setups out there, especially when you factor in overclocking. For the time being, with a little overclocking you'll be seeing performance above and beyond that of a GTX 570.
  2. if gaming at 1920x1080 or above i would get a better gpu - $449.99
    SAPPHIRE 11196-00-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
  3. The SSD can wait in my opinion. cuz you're just eager to see/experiment with the SSD. I would recommend investing in a better GPU and i can assure you wont regret.

    Sapphire 7950 - 449$
  4. If I go with a 7950 would I be better off getting an i3 in prep to buy an Ivy bridge in April to actually utilize the 3.0 of the 7950?
  5. Best answer
    nunyaabidniss said:
    If I go with a 7950 would I be better off getting an i3 in prep to buy an Ivy bridge in April to actually utilize the 3.0 of the 7950?

    A 2500k will last you quite a while. The 7950 is PCI-E 3.0 COMPATIBLE, but it does NOT saturate PCI-E 2.0 so there's little point.
    PCI-E 3.0 is essentially double the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 However, the 7950 is not able to saturate an x8 line fully, meaning it's only making use of half the available bandwidth on 2.0.
    Rumors say Ivy Bridge is more focused on power consumption, not on performance. Stick with the 2500k.
  6. 2500k wont bottleneck even 7950 xfire so there's no reason for you to upgrade to ivy bridge
  7. Best answer selected by nunyaabidniss.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build SSD GPUs Systems Product