Sign in with
Your question

Need help with cpu upgrade! Phenom ii! please and thanks

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2012 2:33:49 AM

Well here the deal I'm not really computer illiterate it's just i can't figure out if it's worth upgrading to a phenom ii.
Right now my cpu is a athlon ii x3 455 (unlocked 4th core)
I just bought a new video card hd 6850.
I'm realizing that cpu intensing games are causing lower frame rates its not making games unplayable but i want to bring my computer to its full protential. I hoping a phenom ii 965 be would do that for me. I do plan on buying a coolermaster 212 evo, So overclocking is an option.

when i play starcraft ii even at 720p the fps goes down in its 20's which just bothers me.

How much of a performance jump would i get from upgrading to a phenom ii 965 be before overclocking it?
i wanna make sure its worth buying.
thanks in advance:) 

More about : cpu upgrade phenom

a c 186 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 2:53:30 AM

First try overclocking. If you are not satisifed then upgrade to a 965BE and overclock from there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2012 2:59:21 AM

Yeah thats what i was thinking but i hear people that overclock a athlon ii with a unlock core get bsod. I deffinitely will try i tho thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
May 25, 2012 7:41:45 AM

Don't use systemrequierementslab, it has contained viruses before. It also is FAKE, just like PASSMARK.
m
l
May 25, 2012 2:25:35 PM

amuffin said:
Don't use systemrequierementslab, it has contained viruses before. It also is FAKE, just like PASSMARK.

are you serious? well my bad and thank you for your advice
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2012 3:39:17 PM

Okay sorry for the delay replied, but i went with phenom ii 965.
I wanted to get one before they are hard to find and got it for $110 on newegg. I figure i best get it instead of overclocking my current cpu. I didn't want to wait and overclock my current cpu. I don't have the 212 currently but i'm planning on buying one in the next 2 weeks when i get paid. Didn't want to wait until i got the cooler then try overclocking my current cpu and not be please with it. Chances are the 965 would have been sold out on newegg. I couldn't find cheaper any place else and i rather have a new one instead of a use one for 10 dollars cheaper. with my athlong at 3.3ghz and unlock to 4 cores i was getting low fps on saints row the third it went down to 25 fps while driving. I figure I'm going to use that game as the comparison when i get my phenom ii to see how much of an improvment it is. hopefully the l3 cache will help out and i can play it fine. I have a hd 6850 and at 720p it was obvous my cpu was the bottleneck.

thanks for the help guys. lets hope the $110 was a good investment not expecting a huge improvement in fps just enough to hold me over for awhile.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2012 3:42:22 PM

Fer_saiyan said:
are you serious? well my bad and thank you for your advice

I always use systemrequirements for a pretty long time never got a virus but it's not really spot on with it's requirements but its a good baseline to go off of.
m
l
June 4, 2012 6:10:43 PM

bobbybamf12 said:
I always use systemrequirements for a pretty long time never got a virus but it's not really spot on with it's requirements but its a good baseline to go off of.

well with my 965 (3.4 stock) it's capable to run at 1680x1050:
Crysis (fraps) =

31 min to 55 max (shaders and post processing in high and everything else very high DX10) , and the 965 never goes more than 52% and the GPU 99%

Crysis 2 1920x1080 (fraps)=
26 min to 49 max (shaders and post processing in high and everything else ultra DX11) CPU charge max at 75% and GPU 99%

so I think its a wonderfull cpu (at least to play), if you ask me I recomend this cpu
m
l
!