FPS issues and lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

frawsty

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello, I'm new here and so I do hope this is the right place to post this question, so here goes. Okay so I got a new Hp about 4 months ago, and I changed some of the specs before ordering it, It's got an AMD Phenom II x4 840t 2.90 GHz processor, 6GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 graphics card. I bought it as an upgrade for my dying laptop, and figured I would be using it for mid range games as well. I was hoping I would be able to run most modern games at low to mid settings. But I can't. I experience frequent FPS fluctuation, and sometimes just don't even get decent FPS at all. For instance I am unable to run Day of Defeat source on lowest settings, which seems a bit odd. I also experience a lot of lag problems when playing flash/browser games. I've updated my drivers, and tried many of the common troubleshooting suggestions, so I was hoping for some advice. Maybe you guys know something I don't like the graphics card may not work well with the processor, or maybe Hp is known to put crappy parts in their computers. I really don't know, but help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced guys :D

Solution
Download 3 programs. Furmark, HWMonitor and Prime 95. Run HWMonitor, run Furmark's burn in test and Prime95 Blend test. Leave it be for 15 mins. After that check the maximum temperatures the CPU and GPU have reached. GT 440 should really run source games without any problems.
Download 3 programs. Furmark, HWMonitor and Prime 95. Run HWMonitor, run Furmark's burn in test and Prime95 Blend test. Leave it be for 15 mins. After that check the maximum temperatures the CPU and GPU have reached. GT 440 should really run source games without any problems.

Solution

frawsty

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Okay I ran the FurMark test for about 30 minutes and the temperature maxed out at 70c. As for Prime95 Blend test, I'm not to sure I understand how to use it.

You just prime95, then a box will pop up. Select Blend, and then press ok. It's testing. Now open HWMonitor to check the temps. The most important thing to understand is that you need to run both FurMark and Prime95 at the same time to get realistic results.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
The 440 really isn't a modern gaming card per se. It has roughly the same power as the 8800gts or maybe the 9800gtx, give or take. That means, depending on the game and resolution, you might be getting some FPS issues.

What resolution are you on, and what games do you play?

frawsty

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Okay so I only hada couple minutes this morning before work but I ran both for about 5 minutes, and still the graphics card maxed out at 70c. As for resolution I'm at 1600x900 but I've tried lower resolutions and that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Although sometimes it seems to help a bit. I play a lot of games, but mainly shooters. I can run Alliance of Valiant Arms on low settings at a steady 70fps which is a best for me.

frawsty

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I did check the cpu's, I can't remember what the temperatures were, but they were normal. Maybe 30c per core or something like that. I'm using my phone from work so I can't check right now, but it wasn't too hot. I'm going to try reformatting my computer and see if that fixes anything. I have a friend who was having similar problems and he reformatted and that fixed the problems, so I'll let you know if that works.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

I didnt say 8600 i said 8800.

frawsty

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Okay I reformatted to factory defaults and I have only tested Day of Defeat:source, and Team fortress 2. Both of which had no lag problems. Hopefully this has fixed my problem, but we'll see as time goes on. Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.