Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newegg custom vs. ibuypower/cyberpower

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2012 8:02:07 PM

My motherboard recently fried in the mountain dew catastrophe of 2012, and I am using this excuse to build a new computer. I want to build it myself but if its cheaper / way more convenient to have a company do it then id go that way. I am going to try to lay this out in a way that makes sense, and apologies if its erratic but I have been reading and researching for a day and a half and just cant decide.

Here is the build I set up on newegg that i would be doing everything myself:

CASE---Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
POWER SUPPLY---CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
SSD---Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OS---Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
CPU---AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
MEMORY---CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
GPU---HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
MOBO---ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU COOLER---CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

GRAND TOTAL WITH 2 DAY SHIPPING---$1,520.56

I have my old monitor, some asus 1080 HDMI DVI VGA random, optical and multi card r/w drives and have a ps3 so not getting bluray. Im not interested in 3d or in eyefinity setups. I am interested in 2 monitors. basically let me browse my super important internet interests and watch stream shows on twitch while i play TOR or LoL. I have my old 320HDD that Ill keep stupid data on leaving the ssd for boot and gaming.

I also have leftover:

2 sticks of 2 gig corsair XMS3-1600
1 Radeon HD6770 vcard

my questions finally:

1. Is it worth trying to crossfire with the old card in this build or just let the build go and craigslist the old card?

2. how much can i fill that SSD and still have beast performance?

3.) is this build compatible?

4.) am i wasting money by say throttling video with cpu or vice versa etc?

5.) am i missing some key component that will not allow me to do what i want with it? first build so i want to make sure i got all the parts i need.

6.) do i need a network card for gaming and torrents or will the onboard suffice?

thanks so much to anyone who can help out! i love these forums and the youtube channel, im confident my first build will be a success.

Best solution

February 8, 2012 8:13:40 PM

1. No stick with the 6950 and sell the 5770
2. you can fit the OS and any major performance applications, games i'd put on an HDD since most don't take advantage of SSDs
3. Yes
4. You wouldn't throttle one card on the 8120 but to be honest you'd be better off with a phenom ii or better yet, an i5 2500k
5. no aside from optical drive and other things you may not need. i see you have an old optical drive.
February 8, 2012 8:24:02 PM

omega21xx said:
1. No stick with the 6950 and sell the 5770

I have a 6770 if that matters, i suppose it wont thank you.

omega21xx said:
2. you can fit the OS and any major performance applications, games i'd put on an HDD since most don't take advantage of SSDs

so aside from the OS what do i put on there? almost seems like a waste if games dont use them well when they have those 1tb 7200 sataIII hdd on sale

omega21xx said:
3. Yes

thought so

omega21xx said:
4. You wouldn't throttle one card on the 8120 but to be honest you'd be better off with a phenom ii or better yet, an i5 2500k

if i switched to an intel set wouldnt i have to get an nvidia card? or does it not go that way and im retarded? if i do have to get a new card whats the nvidia equiv? i5 over the i7?

omega21xx said:
5. no aside from optical drive and other things you may not need. i see you have an old optical drive.

yeah im proud to be reusing some of the stuff, i feel like a conservationist
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2012 8:36:40 PM

"if i switched to an intel set wouldnt i have to get an nvidia card? or does it not go that way and im retarded? if i do have to get a new card whats the nvidia equiv? i5 over the i7?"

simple answer: gpus are not limited by what cpu u have. some say that its suppose to perform better but ive havent seen hard numbers. for example all test configs dealing with graphics is Intel based on tomshardware. Currently im running a 7970 on an older i7.
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:46:17 PM

Most people are going with Intel. They have 60% market share and their CPU tends to be better performer.

Good build but switch out the 6950 for a MSI Twin Frozr 3 6950 1GB.
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:47:20 PM

It seems to me that most of my games load up much faster with my SSD. It is an entirely new build though and it could just be the increased performance all around that is helping with the load time. I would still get a SSD for my games however.

I would go with a intel mobo with the 2500k if your going to overclock it. If not, there is no real point in getting the K series and you could probably use the stock cooler that comes with your processor. Either processor brand should work with whatever GPU you get.

As far as your graphics card goes I would either wait and get one of the new nvidia ones coming out in march or get one of the new Radeon cards. I have a radeon 7970 and it was a bit pricey but it is a BEAST of a video card and usually sits in the 100 fps range on TOR. If you end up waiting for the nvidia video cards then I would also get one of the new intel ivy bridge processors as well. They are suppose to release around the same time.

Also maybe think about getting different RAM. 8gbs should be fine but those large heatsinks could get in the way of your cpu cooler if you ever plan on adding more. I just built a new system and had to take my fan off my cpu cooler to fit the RAM and then put the fan back on and they were much more compact then yours. (that also depends on if you plan on overclocking your CPU and get a larger cooler)

Last thing, technically you buying the OEM windows is illegal if you don't plan on selling the system. That's what I think anyways, it seems there is quite a few people that think otherwise but it is still something you should check up on before you buy the OEM version.
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:48:36 PM

blacksix said:
I have a 6770 if that matters, i suppose it wont thank you.

so aside from the OS what do i put on there? almost seems like a waste if games dont use them well when they have those 1tb 7200 sataIII hdd on sale

thought so

if i switched to an intel set wouldnt i have to get an nvidia card? or does it not go that way and im retarded? if i do have to get a new card whats the nvidia equiv? i5 over the i7?

yeah im proud to be reusing some of the stuff, i feel like a conservationist

Sorry the 5770/6770 are just rebadges so i get mixed up.

The huge advantage is being able to start windows in seconds and get straight to gaming or internet. Installing on an HDD you have terrible start times. A 60gb ssd is fine for the OS and a few apps, you can put games on there but your only tangible difference is load times which only vary a few seconds.

i7 doesn't provide much if any advantage in games, the Hyper threading actually hurts a few.
I have an i5 2500k and two radeon gpu's in crossfire. Some AMD boards like the 800 series wouldn't allow nvidia sli, i don't remember the last (if any) board from intel that doesn't allow amd or nvidia gpu's in cfx/sli.
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:55:26 PM

omega21xx said:
Some AMD boards like the 800 series wouldn't allow nvidia sli, i don't remember the last (if any) board from intel that doesn't allow amd or nvidia gpu's in cfx/sli.

im very positive that it is more board specific when talkinga bout sli or crossfire. some boards are made specifically for one or the other. some boards work with both too
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:00:35 PM

aznplayer213 said:
im very positive that it is more board specific when talkinga bout sli or crossfire. some boards are made specifically for one or the other. some boards work with both too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_chipsets
SLI was not licensed in some older chipsets. 900 series is however. yes the board has to have the slots but get a 800 series with 2 pcie x16 slots and try sli.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:02:59 PM

ah that is a bit odd that they didnt license it in the older chipsets. seems restrictive and not very appealing when choosing boards
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:12:55 PM

The FX 8150 processor is has to OC to keep up with a stock 2500k. With $1000+ budget there is no good reason not to go with a 2500k. On the same token, you are unlikely to get much value moving up from a 2500k to a 2600k, so I would just stick with the 2500k.

Just ebay the old stuff you have laying around.

The last thing I would want to do is build a mostly Corsair system, but it shouldn't do too bad if the parts arrive functional (not even close to guaranteed, though).
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:18:28 PM

do NOT buy from cyber/ibuy 100s of $$$ overpriced get this build dont get a fx either they r wa slower than an intel i5 2500k

intel i5 2500k
CM 912 case
asus p67 mobo
1tb hard drive
sony 24x optical drive
8g ram
cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu cooler
amd radeon 7950 or 7970
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:20:08 PM

also ur not in california are u blacksix? u can straight pick it up from newegg if u were...
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:28:24 PM

im from georgia, which is why the 2 day shipping for free is a big deal for me on newegg. my problem is that if i get the 2500k i dont know how to overclock it myself. this is my first build. im literally going to watch youtube and read the book to put it together. everytime i touch one of those *** sites its well over 2k with shipping for something comparable.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:30:08 PM

plus, me stumbling through assembly is a hell of a lot faster than their 2 week assembly. id rather deal with newegg than their customer service. they suck really bad, my last rig was ibuypower. the customer service made me shake, but the computer was well put together so i didnt cry. just way overpriced.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:32:13 PM

blacksix said:
im from georgia, which is why the 2 day shipping for free is a big deal for me on newegg. my problem is that if i get the 2500k i dont know how to overclock it myself. this is my first build. im literally going to watch youtube and read the book to put it together. everytime i touch one of those *** sites its well over 2k with shipping for something comparable.

Overclocking is fairly simple if you follow guides, as long as you follow directions and ask questions when you encounter a problem you won't have any issues.
And yes it's much simplier and cheaper to build your own through newegg. You basically pay 50% or more just to have someone else play legos with your parts.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:37:10 PM

This might help show you the difference between cpu's in games.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:42:07 PM

Best answer selected by blacksix.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:42:47 PM

alright then, im going to go with the bundle thing from newegg i think. thanks everyone.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:47:46 PM

blacksix said:
alright then, im going to go with the bundle thing from newegg i think. thanks everyone.

No problem glad to help :)  It's what we're here for!
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:56:41 PM

omega, could you just review that bundle i put the link to on newegg and make sure its what weve been talking about or pretty similar please. im a little nervous to click yes for 2 grand haha
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:05:13 PM

blacksix said:
omega, could you just review that bundle i put the link to on newegg and make sure its what weve been talking about or pretty similar please. im a little nervous to click yes for 2 grand haha

It's not a bad bundle, there's some good quality stuff in there, The board doesn't have pcie 3.0 but that won't matter much for a year or 2. If you want i can put a build together similar but you won't have any problems with that bundle.
You could probably save a bit more money actually if i put together a build for you since you don't need the i7 for gaming i5 will be fine.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:10:54 PM

man id pay a small commission for you to help me build it on skype
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:14:43 PM

blacksix said:
man id pay a small commission for you to help me build it on skype

No need for commision lol appreciate it but yeah just send me a PM on here some time and i'll be sure to get on skype or something to help.
I'll send you a link of parts on a wishlist on newegg, you can decide what you like or have any suggestions.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:25:23 PM

sent you info, thanks man.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:32:41 PM
February 8, 2012 10:44:36 PM

im going with this setup, but with the corsair H80 and some goofy green tube lights. i was surprised to see the price be about the same and still have the 7 series. youre a monster man i really appreciate it. ill post a picture of the build here when i complete it.
m
l
February 8, 2012 10:51:21 PM

blacksix said:
im going with this setup, but with the corsair H80 and some goofy green tube lights. i was surprised to see the price be about the same and still have the 7 series. youre a monster man i really appreciate it. ill post a picture of the build here when i complete it.

Alright, I shot you a PM if you ever need to reach me there's that and my email.
m
l
!