Sign in with
Your question

High End Card and PC, but games still lag

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 4:01:29 AM

Hey all-

I just recently bought a Sapphire HD 6950 2GB graphics card for my PC, and while sometimes it seems to be working well. Certain games lag pretty badly at times, and it feels like something is slowing down in my PC way more than it should. The card looks amazing, and a lot of parts during games it looks and feels great, but then it will get crazy slow and is unplayable. I play Metro 2033, which I don't have many problems with, but it still slows a lot during heavy action scenes. Space Marine and Saints Row 3 are almost unplayable though. I also have a feeling it's something else in my comp, because lowering the graphics/resolution really doesn't change anything. It will also show 50 FPS on Ultra, but its definitely not at 50 FPS. Also, on space marine, the audio on my headset gets crazy slow and starts making static noises which is odd.

Here are my specs, most of computer is 1-2 years old but should still be pretty decent:

-AMD PhenomTII X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology 3.2 Ghz
-500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
-FAN: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
-Gigabyte Motherboard - GA-MA785GT-UD3H (has PCI 16x slot)
-16 GB Ram (4 sticks of 4gb G-Skill Rip Jaw Ram)
-HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
-Sapphire 2GB HD6950
-Just got a new Monitor, 24 inch ASUS LED LCD and I play on 1920 x 1080.

I really have no idea what's going on. I actually just reformatted too because a lot of games wouldn't even open when I tried. Graphics drivers up to date and everything. Only thing I can think of is maybe a heating problem, but fan is quiet and I thought my liquid cooling system is good, even though its old. The only other thing would be processor (isn't mine pretty good still), or motherboard. Motherboard is really only thing I think isnt great, but not sure that would slow anything down.

Anybody have any idea?
December 10, 2011 4:16:34 AM

Sorry, I should add that I only installed drivers that came with the card, which I believe is CCC 11.9.

When I originally installed card I updated to 11.11 and some games wouldnt even launch. They would start up with black screen and freeze. I reformatted, tried it again with 11.11 and same problem. Hasnt happened so far with 11.9, seems more stable, but the slow down issues still occur.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:43:46 AM

You really need to dig deeper on whats going on. Get a copy of CPU-Z and see what your CPU/GPU is doing, it will tell you temps, and processor speed. Unless you have some sort of motherboard monitor program already. 11.11 is kinda buggy, but it seems to have problems with newer cards, mine don't have a problem with it.

In my opinion, it sounds like ur overheating, make sure the ur CPU block is on nice and tight and water is flowing thru it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 4:48:46 AM

It's your CPU. For some reason, the 955 (Which I had for a long while) seems to max out on one core while the outhers are all 20-40%

I had exactly this problem, but I just got a new CPU. Im sure there are ways of fixing it though
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:49:41 AM

Not sure 11.11 was actually an issue, but both times I upgraded to it I was having game loading problems. With 11.9 I'm not, so I don't want to update only to have to reformat again.

I was thinking the overheating thing too actually. GPU temps were never too high on CCC, not sure about CPU. I havent overclocked anything at all. I'm not super computer savvy so don't know really how to check the water flow or processor tightness. I will get CPU-Z going when I get back on my desktop (waiting for GF to fall asleep. ugh), is there anything in particular I should be looking for on the program? Should I check it while running games or just idle?

Thanks.

m
l
December 10, 2011 4:51:50 AM

FtsArTek said:
It's your CPU. For some reason, the 955 (Which I had for a long while) seems to max out on one core while the outhers are all 20-40%

I had exactly this problem, but I just got a new CPU. Im sure there are ways of fixing it though

Was thinking this as well. Maybe I will try and get an FX-6100 soon. I really wish I could check to see if that's the case. Dont wanna spend an extra $200 if it doesnt fix it or the X4 can be adjusted somehow.
m
l
December 10, 2011 5:33:47 AM

Downloaded AMD overdrive and CPUthermometer and ran a test on my CPU's. When all 4 cores are in Load, my CPU temp went up to 70+. That seems really high.

At idle, I'm sitting around 55 degrees. That's gotta be the issue. I currently have liquid cooling but it apparently isnt doing the job. Anybody recommend how to bring that down. There a way to clean out dust or clean CPU/cooler? Is there a good fan that's easy to install?

Thanks.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 6:18:49 AM

What is your PSU model? You didn't mention it.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:41:38 PM

ahh yes sorry I didnt.

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+10] (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)

I think that is sufficient enough. Card says 500w recommended. I'm really starting to think my liquid cooling system is a POS, and its just overheating. The temp went up to 75 degrees after 1 minute of Load testing on AMD overdrive.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 1:52:44 PM

you need to get the newest drivers. turn off anything that auto updates.... windows/drivers, etc. go to windows update. see what's there for your machine. if you installed any software other than drivers off the cd that came with the board uninstall it. I had a heck of a time once....... was due to BIOS update software from a disc that kept trying to update.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 2:29:10 PM

Your 'Extreme Cooling Performance' is Fail :lol:  BUT I suspect that is not your problem (unless it was mounted improperly).

The Problem: Your PhII 955BE is being over-volted by your Gigabyte motherboard, and at load, drives temps through the roof causing your CPU to throttle/hiccup.

The Solution: Enter the BIOS. At the main screen, hold down your <Ctrl> button and press <F1> to expand menu options. Change CPU voltage from *Auto* to *Manual*

You may drop your CPU voltage in 0.0125v increments ... -0.0375v might be a good place to start. Fire up CPUz and check your volts. You should not need more than 1.3825v to run 3.6GHz with a 955BE, much less at 3.2GHz (stock should be around 1.325v)

Yee Haw !! We have JOY!

(Gigabyte motherboards - especially yours - are really bad to over-volt when set on *Auto* )

[:jaydeejohn:5]
m
l
April 5, 2012 5:50:18 PM

godmathias said:
Was thinking this as well. Maybe I will try and get an FX-6100 soon. I really wish I could check to see if that's the case. Dont wanna spend an extra $200 if it doesnt fix it or the X4 can be adjusted somehow.

Hey im using a FX-4100 with a geforce gtx460.. i know it isn't as powerful as your spec but im suffering from the exact same problem .. all other games except warhammer and deus ex are running at max with no lag .. if you find a solution please do let me know ... thanks.
m
l
April 10, 2013 10:39:05 AM

Try Orochi CEG. It's a temporary fix, but I couldn't find another fix for this. Dirt:Showdown and Saints Row: The Third was lagging in my computer but now it works perfect. :D 
m
l
April 14, 2013 4:05:11 PM

Hello, i just bought a new laptop with 2,5GHz and 8gb ram, a intelcore i5 proccesor and it has a Nvidia gt610m graphical card. Two days ago i was playing minecraft with a few friends of me (it worked fine, there was no lag) but when i started up minecraft it became extremely laggy it was even lagging on the homescreen of minecraft and no when i start up Cinema 4D it also lags, please respond i don't know what to do. And i'm not a genius when it comes to computer so yeah. But again please help i don't know if my computer is broken or not or that my grapical card isn't working properly :'( 

m
l
September 5, 2013 7:47:57 AM

Try remove Flash Player Plugin and try games!!
m
l
!