Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Just got my Signing Bonus! TIme to splurge!

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 8, 2012 8:30:37 PM

Alright guys, so I just got my SIGNING bonus! :bounce: 


Its a hefty amount and the first thing I want to spluge on is a very nice pc setup. Now, Iam not that much of a gamer, but I do want some high end cards. I've been out of the PC scene for a while when focusing on my studies and finding a job, so the most up to date stuff I know is the 1366 socket type and Radeon 5XXX, I heard about the 6XXX and 7XXX but have not even googled them very much. So anyways, my budget is around $15,000 for EVERYTHING. Iam setting aside $7500 for the PC and $7500 for everything else. Now, this will also be used for work as well, so I need specific monitors. So here goes:


CPU: Dual i7-3960X 6-Core Rig ($2100)
Motherbaord: EVGA SR-3 (Dual X79 Socket Motherboard) ($750*)
Ram: G-Skill RipJaws Z Series (8 X 8GB) 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz ($650)
GPU: (2 in SLI)EVGA GTX 580 3GB Edition ($1200)
SSD: (2 in Raid 0) Cruicial M4 256GB SSD ($700)
HDD:( 2 in Raid 0) Western Digital 10K RPM 600GB Velociraptors ($600)
HDD:( 4 in Raid 0+1) Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives ($440)
Case: UNKNOWN (depends on what case can handle an SR-3, maybe a Lian-Li that handles the SR-2? ($500*)
PSU: UNKNOWN (probably 1200W EVGA SR-2 PSUS) ($500*)
OD: Pair of LG Blu-Ray Writers ($200)

Total: $7640... a bit over but its fine.


Other parts:

Monitors: 6 X Dell U2412M or NEC PA271W ($5000) (I need an IPS monitor with a high resolution WITH portrait mode, or pivot, Dell 2412M was the highest screen size, but 24" seems small
Keyboard: Logitech MX5500 (I just love this combo!) ($100)
Mouse: ABOVE
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate ($200)
Desk and Chair from Staples ($2000)


Total $7300.... So together, Iam at 14940. Do you guys have any changes you would make? Maybe dump the 580's or the new new 7XXXX series? Iam not sure, please let me know. Thanks!
February 8, 2012 8:40:39 PM

you should wait a little longer untill nvidias new cards hit, all other prices will drop im sure of it, or you could just get the new ones. also, be weary of crossfire/sli. search a little more about it before you commit.
m
0
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 9:04:35 PM

I wish I had $15k to waste.

Really, though, I would pretty much bet money that this system isn't going to work right out of the box.

Not because the parts suck or anything, but because you are looking at parts that have quite high failure rates by definition.

8 GB sticks are the devil, for starters, and you have 8 of them. I can't imagine how you could manage to eat up 32 gigs of RAM, much less 64 gigs. That is like 50% more failure chance for 32 gigs I doubt you can even touch.

Better to switch down to 4x CT2KIT51264BA1339s instead which is 8 sticks of 4GBs and all of them together barely have a fraction of the failure rates of the average single stick of 8 GBs.

CF the 7970s instead, IMHO. AMD is much better than Nvidia when it comes to multiple monitor support, iirc.

CPU cooler should be something liquid that can cool both video cards and the processor all at the same time. Start by looking at PNY XLR8 / Asetek Integrated Liquid Cooling.

IMHO, get at least two more of the M4 256 GB SSDs too, why not when you have 15k. Raid all those into one big 1TB SSD like all us around here wish we could do. For that matter I would drop down to just 1x 3TB drive as my only non SSD. Spare change after that can buy more M4s.

I am sure you can get by with a $300 Lian Li case, so $200 slack can come from there.

PSU - Something really high from Enermax. 1200w should be fine.

Oh, and I would get a La-z-boy for gaming, I have one and its pretty awesome for like $500.

After all that, you should pretty much have the ultimate gaming setup.

If you still have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, I could really use a 2500k.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 9:29:29 PM

motheninja said:
Desk and Chair from Staples ($2000)
Might be more than you need to spend. How much room do you have to spread out your system?
m
0
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 9:33:05 PM

motheninja said:
Monitors: 6 X Dell U2412M or NEC PA271W ($5000) (I need an IPS monitor with a high resolution WITH portrait mode, or pivot, Dell 2412M was the highest screen size, but 24" seems small
Not so small. Especially when they're in a 6-plex grid. You're going to have to be careful about positioning the grid at the right distance from your working point.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2012 10:57:09 PM

Quote:

CPU: Dual i7-3960X 6-Core Rig ($2100)
Motherbaord: EVGA SR-3 (Dual X79 Socket Motherboard) ($750*)
Ram: G-Skill RipJaws Z Series (8 X 8GB) 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz ($650)


You're looking at hardware that doesn't exist right now (dual X79). The Ripjaw Z actually is rated at either 1866 or 2133 but I could be wrong about that.

Quote:

SSD: (2 in Raid 0) Cruicial M4 256GB SSD ($700)
HDD:( 2 in Raid 0) Western Digital 10K RPM 600GB Velociraptors ($600)
HDD:( 4 in Raid 0+1) Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives ($440)


Velociraptor HDs, IMO, are kind of a waste of money. You won't notice much, if any performance difference between a 7200RPM drive and a 10K+ RPM drive. And if you're already going with an SSD, why not get 2 x 512GB SSDs?

You could try looking at a couple of Maximum PC builds for some ideas:

2010: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_201...
2011: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine...
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 8:01:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

CPU: Dual i7-3960X 6-Core Rig ($2100)
Motherbaord: EVGA SR-3 (Dual X79 Socket Motherboard) ($750*)
Ram: G-Skill RipJaws Z Series (8 X 8GB) 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz ($650)


You're looking at hardware that doesn't exist right now (dual X79). The Ripjaw Z actually is rated at either 1866 or 2133 but I could be wrong about that.

Quote:

SSD: (2 in Raid 0) Cruicial M4 256GB SSD ($700)
HDD:( 2 in Raid 0) Western Digital 10K RPM 600GB Velociraptors ($600)
HDD:( 4 in Raid 0+1) Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives ($440)


Velociraptor HDs, IMO, are kind of a waste of money. You won't notice much, if any performance difference between a 7200RPM drive and a 10K+ RPM drive. And if you're already going with an SSD, why not get 2 x 512GB SSDs?

You could try looking at a couple of Maximum PC builds for some ideas:

2010: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_201...
2011: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine...




I see... both look really nice. Iam deciding to wait until Ivy Bridge hits the street, for right now, I borrowed a buddy's i7-970 Hexa-Core Rig.


Iam thinking about now:

-Dual Intel Xeon Z5680s -$2500
-H100 -$225
-EVGA SR-2 Mobo -$650
-EVGA GTX 580 Fermi's (3 X SLI) -$1500
-OCZ Vertex 3 (2 in Raid 0) -$1000
-WD Caviar Black 2TB (4 in Raid 0+1) -$800
-1200W PSU (2 of them, not sure what brand) -$400
-Mountain Mods Case or Lian Li -$400
-48GB of DDR3 (G-Skill RipJaws 24GB (6 X 4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz (2 sets)) -$1100
-6X Dell 24" Monitors (again, I need these monitors...) =$1500
-Desk and Chair (I placed the order, the desk is a custom wrap around desk with dual keyboard trays, and a multiple built in USB hubs, chair is a custom chair molded for me) -$1800

Total = $12000ish. Comes out nicely.
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 8:57:05 PM

motheninja said:
Alright guys, so I just got my SIGNING bonus! :bounce: 


Its a hefty amount and the first thing I want to spluge on is a very nice pc setup. Now, Iam not that much of a gamer, but I do want some high end cards. I've been out of the PC scene for a while when focusing on my studies and finding a job, so the most up to date stuff I know is the 1366 socket type and Radeon 5XXX, I heard about the 6XXX and 7XXX but have not even googled them very much. So anyways, my budget is around $15,000 for EVERYTHING. Iam setting aside $7500 for the PC and $7500 for everything else. Now, this will also be used for work as well, so I need specific monitors. So here goes:


CPU: Dual i7-3960X 6-Core Rig ($2100)
Motherbaord: EVGA SR-3 (Dual X79 Socket Motherboard) ($750*)
Ram: G-Skill RipJaws Z Series (8 X 8GB) 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz ($650)
GPU: (2 in SLI)EVGA GTX 580 3GB Edition ($1200)
SSD: (2 in Raid 0) Cruicial M4 256GB SSD ($700)
HDD:( 2 in Raid 0) Western Digital 10K RPM 600GB Velociraptors ($600)
HDD:( 4 in Raid 0+1) Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives ($440)
Case: UNKNOWN (depends on what case can handle an SR-3, maybe a Lian-Li that handles the SR-2? ($500*)
PSU: UNKNOWN (probably 1200W EVGA SR-2 PSUS) ($500*)
OD: Pair of LG Blu-Ray Writers ($200)

Total: $7640... a bit over but its fine.


Other parts:

Monitors: 6 X Dell U2412M or NEC PA271W ($5000) (I need an IPS monitor with a high resolution WITH portrait mode, or pivot, Dell 2412M was the highest screen size, but 24" seems small
Keyboard: Logitech MX5500 (I just love this combo!) ($100)
Mouse: ABOVE
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate ($200)
Desk and Chair from Staples ($2000)


Total $7300.... So together, Iam at 14940. Do you guys have any changes you would make? Maybe dump the 580's or the new new 7XXXX series? Iam not sure, please let me know. Thanks!



If you want to overclock the CPU, change it to i7 3930K unlock and unleashed.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 3:24:27 AM
February 27, 2012 3:27:17 AM

also you might want to add swiftech water cooling for about 200 more and take out a raptor drive.
m
0
l
!