tomspatg

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I asked this group last year about what components I should use in an old computer to support a graphics card I got. My plan was to modify an old computer to make it a graphics / game capable computer for my 12 year old son.

I already had the graphics card and this group suggested the CPU and Motherboard and it's all been working great. My son wanted to upgrade the CPU and purchased one and installed it and when he does that - nothing appears on the monitors - putting the old CPU back everything works OK. Here are the main components of the system:

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTS450 FPB 1GB PCI-E 2.0
MotherBoard: ASROCK M3A770DE 770+SB710 RT
CPU: ADM/ATH II X3 450 3.2G AM3 RT

The new CPU we have been attempting to install is:
AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6200FRGUBOX

We have contacted ASROCK and they gave us a bunch of instructions that included flushing the CMOS but the result is the same - just a blank screen.

Any ideas? is this new CPU compatible with the Mother Board?

Thanks in advance!!

Solution
It won't work as your attempting to put an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 board. While you can put an AM3 in an AM3+ board you cannot put an AM3+ in an AM3 Board.

Your 3 choices would be

1- Attempt to return or sell the FX chip (they aren't a very good gaming choice anyway) and revert to the athlon

2 - As above but then get a better AM3 CPU.... Phenom II X4 965BE or 960T either will outperform that FX gaming and cost less

3 - Retain the FX CPU and get a new AM3+ motherboard (They can be found cheaply)

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
It won't work as your attempting to put an AM3+ CPU in an AM3 board. While you can put an AM3 in an AM3+ board you cannot put an AM3+ in an AM3 Board.

Your 3 choices would be

1- Attempt to return or sell the FX chip (they aren't a very good gaming choice anyway) and revert to the athlon

2 - As above but then get a better AM3 CPU.... Phenom II X4 965BE or 960T either will outperform that FX gaming and cost less

3 - Retain the FX CPU and get a new AM3+ motherboard (They can be found cheaply)

Solution

tomspatg

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
First - thanks for the help from both of you!

We did upgrade the BIOS on the MB during the process of trying to get the new CPU to work.

I was thinking that a AM3+ may not be backward compatible for a AM3 board - and you just confirmed that wr6133. When I got the current MB is was to fix into an old Compaq desktop. The MB fit with our power supply, disk drives the graphics card, ect.

What MB would you recommend to go with the new FX CPU (if we can't get it returned)

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Cheap end

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795

Better

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

The gigabyte board is better featured and a good board (I use it myself). The Asus is less featured but seems to be a popular budget choice.

Your going to want a CPU cooler as well if you overclock the CPU (that you likely will want to with an FX) but if your using a compaq case measure it to figure what can fit if you buy one. Something along the lines of a coolermaster 212+ or 212 evo (around $30) they are tall though so measure the case first.

Not sure what your budget is but if you stick with the CPU and get a new mobo I would get a cooler so I can OC and if your using the old compaq case I'd also grab a cheap mid-tower case even a really low end budget case ($30-ish) will likely have better cooling than compaqs one.

It's best to check cpu compatibility BEFORE you buy.

According the Asrock cpu support list for your motherboard, that board doesn't support ANY FX processors, even with a bios update.

You should have bought a phenom II X4/X6, your board supports all of them and they are cheaper than the one you bought.

TRENDING THREADS