Replaced cpu, pc wont boot. Went back to old cpu, pc won't boot

mashipotatoes

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hello,

I was looking into upgrading an old PCs cpu with a newer one without having to change too many of the preexisting parts and now that PC does not work at all!

Mobo: Asus p5ld2-vm
cpu: pentium D 820
psu: coolermaster 650W
vid: gigabyte radeon HD 6770

What I wanted to do was switch out the old 820 with a core 2 duo e6700 to improve the performance a little bit, so I went ahead and did that. There was no display on the monitor and no beep from startup. I have tried reseating and exchanging various parts to no avail.

I then tried to place the old cpu back into the system and I got the PC to boot up, however now it automatically turns off after about 10 seconds.

Any suggestions at all are very much appreciated!

username1234

Distinguished
May 21, 2012
You should try to go to BIOS and reset it to default settings.

The wors case scenario could be that your motherboard is damaged while you have remove cooler or some other parts. Motherboards can go bad while removing parts from them because of streching which can break connections inbetween parts.

mashipotatoes

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I am unable to get into the BIOS before the machine shuts down by itself while I have the D core in. I have also already tried resetting the BIOS settings by removing and replacing the CMOS battery. Is my PC toast?