Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Skyrim
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 8:51:55 AM

This is my computer
http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Gaming/Essentio_CG8350/#spe...

I regret buying it but I hope to fix it.
Basically it just has a lousy graphics card and low power supply.

What I want is to be able to run Skyrim at its highest settings. I've tried looking all over the internet and newegg, but it's a whole different language to me.

I have around $300 I'm willing to spend atm(a little over is fine with me), I don't want the best of the best to play the next Elder Scrolls. Just to be able to enjoy my current games(Skyrim/BF3) without any problems.

I was looking at this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But like I mentioned it's like some kind of other language. As for a fan, I have no clue.

It would really make my day if I could get any help. :sweat: 

TL;DR:
I'm not tech savvy, I have around $300, and I want to play Skyrim on Ultra at max or as close to max fps. :( 

More about : baby steps

a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 9:04:41 AM

I must be blind but I don't see what CPU is in that computer?

What CPU is in that computer? Also it says it can come with a GTX 460, that should get you by pretty well in Skyrim.

Regardless of that, we need to know the resolution you will be playing at. At your budget should be looking at the 6950 1GB, 6950 2GB, GTX 560, GTX 560 Ti, GTX 560 Ti 448, and then coupling any of those with a decent power supply of 550-700~ watts of power from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone, and some OCZ and Cooler Master units.

To help you fully I need to know the exact CPU in that computer as well as the resolution of your monitor.

m
l
December 10, 2011 9:12:57 AM

When I reluctantly bought it, they said something about a Quad Core Intel Sandy Bridge CPU(I honestly don't know if that helps). I plan on playing 1920x1080 resolution.

The game runs alright on the lowest settings, but gets a pretty bad fps drop rate every now and then.

Believe me, I've looked into all of those, but I can't tell any differences. I'm not tech savvy, but I soon hope to be so that when the next Elder Scrolls game pokes its head, I'll be able to do it on my own. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 9:15:01 AM

Ahh ok, well you could download CPU-z to tell us but if you have a quad core sandy bridge you're fine.

You should download CPU-z and GPU-z both, just google them they are easy to find. Find out the exact CPU and the exact GPU in the computer.

Finally I really need to know your resolution of your monitor to be able to help. Like, 1920x1080 or 1280x1024....

m
l
December 10, 2011 9:20:26 AM

Helltech said:
Ahh ok, well you could download CPU-z to tell us but if you have a quad core sandy bridge you're fine.

You should download CPU-z and GPU-z both, just google them they are easy to find. Find out the exact CPU and the exact GPU in the computer.

Finally I really need to know your resolution of your monitor to be able to help. Like, 1920x1080 or 1280x1024....

Yea, I figured that's what you meant by resolution after I posted. My monitor is 1920x1080 though. Heh.. :sweat: 

Now what exactly am I looking for? I downloaded both, just not sure if you want every thing posted. :??: 

EDIT: I went ahead and just got all of it anyways. :pt1cable: 

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/38405568.jpg/
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 9:25:21 AM

Just looking for the name of the CPU should be like Intel I5 or Intel I3 something or other.

Same with the GPU, just need the name. Like GTX 460 or what ever.

At that resolution the cards I listed above are what you should be looking at.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 9:38:34 AM

Ok thats odd, its saying your graphics is running off of your CPU. Do you know if you have a graphics card in that computer? Judging from what I saw in your original link it should have came with one. Well I guess its possible you don't have one, do you know if you were supposed to get one?
m
l
December 10, 2011 9:41:35 AM

Yeah, I noticed that too. However, I do not have a graphics card. All that came with the computer was the computer, a keyboard, and a mouse.

So a new card is a definite must then. Would the one I posted in the OP be worth it or would you have any recommendations? Would I need a new PSU as well? :sweat: 
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 9:44:12 AM

Well it would have been INSIDE the computer when you got it. You have a 500w power supply which would be good enough yes, if it is of quality and I'm doubt it is. The only way I'd know is if you take the side off the case and look at the sticker on the PSU and give me the information.
m
l
December 10, 2011 9:51:59 AM

Aha... opening my case. I'll get to that later when I'm more clear headed. I have a feeling I'll divide by zero somehow. If it's alright with you I'll pm you later with details on it?

Assuming that my psu isn't of quality, which I too think it won't be of quality, what would I do next?

If it is of quality, then same question?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
December 10, 2011 5:43:51 PM

Well you were planning on adding a GPU and replacing the PSU anyway right? That would require you to open the case haha.
m
l
!