Sign in with
Your question

Galaxy GTX 580 question [settings etc.]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 9:07:40 AM

Before I launch into this, I just wanted to thank the good folks on this forum that have been extremely kind and helpful. Without you, I would not be where I am right now.

That said, I just built my first PC today. I used a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case. Brought over my old computer's AMD Phenom II Quad Core 2.8ghz (with 8gb Ram). And I bought a Galaxy GTX 580 1.5gb. And lastly, I installed a Cooler Master m1000 (1000 watt power supply, silent series).

Every game I have now runs at maxed out settings, smooth as butter. Skyrim has been running flawlessly at 55-60 fps even with a ton of mods and high definition textures. I just couldn't be happier.

However, when I used to use my old Saphire Card, I used Trixxie to monitor the temperature. As far as I could tell, Nvidia does not have a program (except Ntune or whatever, and that hasn't been updated since 2007). So here is my questiosn:

What program do you guys recommend?

I'm currently using Msi Afteruburner. When I'm not playing games, my temp is 30-33. When I play games, it ranges from 60 and sometimes to 80 (but that seems to only be when i'm playing for long periods of time).

Is 80 too high?

And lastly, here is a screenshot of my msi afterbutner. Not going to lie, I'm a complete noob. I have no idea how to perfect my settings on this (they are currently at default). Or if I can even adjust my settings using this program (I think I can adjust fan/the settings?).

http://i.imgur.com/ia2wZ.png

Any tips on what program to use, and what settings I should use, would be extremely helpful. But like I said, every game has run perfect today. I guess I just got a bit worried about it hitting 80 and figured I would check in with you guys, and see what you thought.

But other than that, I can't be any happier. Thanks again to everyone that really helped me get to this point (where I could start moving my parts around etc.). :) 
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 9:12:06 AM

80 isn't too high, 90 is when I would get worried.

I use MSI Afterburner. Are you asking how to overclock your 580?

I know my buddy has his 580 at 875Mhz Core Clock, 1750Mhz Shader Clock, and 2020Mhz on the memory. Not sure of the voltage.
m
l
December 10, 2011 9:34:55 AM

Do you have the Galaxy 580 with the accelero cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, 80c seems pretty high at stock voltage/speeds for that. I have that Galaxy 580 and my OC at 1.125v 920mhz clock speed doesn't get it to 80c even during the most demanding games (ex. BF3, Witcher 2, Crysis 2). The stock voltage can change a lot from card to card so check to see what yours is, mine came at 1.063v stock which I was able to get 850mhz core stable no problem.

I personally use Nvidia Inspector to tweak voltage and EVGA Precision for changing clock speeds and OSD monitoring.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2011 12:40:11 PM

MSI afterburner is used by many and is a good program.

The idle and load temps seem to be within reason, but I'd be concerned about extra cooling. How much breathing room do you have for the GPU? Do you have a side door fan blowing on the GPU?

The GTX 470/480 is specced to a max of 110 C. I imangine the 500 series is similar. 80 is high but not beyond spec.
m
l
December 10, 2011 1:09:30 PM

MSI Afterburner is a great program. I noticed that when your temperatures are a little high (80 is nothing really to worry about, but you can definitely lower them), the fan speed is still near the idle 30%. If I were you, I would set up a custom fan profile in the program. This will allow you to set custom fan speeds in conjunction with temperature. I usually just check the custom fan profile box and use the program defaults which generally keeps the fan speed on par with the temperature. For example, at idle the temps would be 30 and the fans would be 30. As the temps rises by ten degrees, so do the fans to keep the card cool. Personally I don't care too much about noise but usually my fan speeds are fluctuating between 60% and 70% on my GTX 275 and the temps are in the high 60's to low 70's while gaming.
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:49:52 PM

gmcizzle said:
Do you have the Galaxy 580 with the accelero cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, 80c seems pretty high at stock voltage/speeds for that. I have that Galaxy 580 and my OC at 1.125v 920mhz clock speed doesn't get it to 80c even during the most demanding games (ex. BF3, Witcher 2, Crysis 2). The stock voltage can change a lot from card to card so check to see what yours is, mine came at 1.063v stock which I was able to get 850mhz core stable no problem.

I personally use Nvidia Inspector to tweak voltage and EVGA Precision for changing clock speeds and OSD monitoring.

Thanks for all the replies.

And yeah, that's the card I have. How do I check what my stock voltage is? And is your stock voltage what determines what you set your Core Voltage, Core Clock (MHz), Shader Clock (MHz), Memory Clock (MHz) in MSi afterburner?

I think I also need to set my fan speeds, because for some reason, the "auto" option just had the fans stay idle at 30 at ALL times. Might be a reason it go to 80?
m
l
December 10, 2011 3:55:34 PM

chesteracorgi said:
MSI afterburner is used by many and is a good program.

The idle and load temps seem to be within reason, but I'd be concerned about extra cooling. How much breathing room do you have for the GPU? Do you have a side door fan blowing on the GPU?

The GTX 470/480 is specced to a max of 110 C. I imangine the 500 series is similar. 80 is high but not beyond spec.

My tower is pretty spacious. It's 3x the size of my old one (which was cramped beyond cramped). The only thing I would note is, my ATX motherboard isn't a full sized one. So maybe the size of the card on top of everything else is too condensed...

I need to buy some extra fans for the GPU though. There are slots in this case that are meant for that (and the graphics card) - but I just moved my parts over to the case + used the fans that are built in to the HAF 932.

Like I said, it runs quiet + cool all day when I'm not playing games. 29-33 right now for instance (unless that's too high for non gaming).

I'm going to try using custom fan speed profile, and let you guys know if that lowers it.
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:19:03 PM

Yeah, a fan profile will definitely bring down the temperatures.
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:22:17 PM

Warmacblu said:
Yeah, a fan profile will definitely bring down the temperatures.

I'm going to test out some heavy intensive games with the custom fan speed profile, and get back to you guys with the results. I realized you had to CLICK the button on the right to make the profile turn green (thus turning it on). Derrrp.

But hey, I'm learning. :D 
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:26:01 PM

satanigatan said:
Thanks for all the replies.

And yeah, that's the card I have. How do I check what my stock voltage is? And is your stock voltage what determines what you set your Core Voltage, Core Clock (MHz), Shader Clock (MHz), Memory Clock (MHz) in MSi afterburner?

I think I also need to set my fan speeds, because for some reason, the "auto" option just had the fans stay idle at 30 at ALL times. Might be a reason it go to 80?

Stock voltage is just what the cards defaults to. You can change the voltage to anything you want up to 1.15v, although I wouldn't go above 1.125v for 24/7 and that's only if temps are below 80c. What core clock you can get stable depends on the voltage and your individual card. Mine may take 1.1v to hit 900mhz core, while yours may do it with less or more voltage. Shader clock is linked to the core clock, and is always twice what the core clock is. Memory clock doesn't really make much difference in game performance, and can make the GPU unstable when everything else is overclocked, so I would just keep that at stock. To check what your stock voltage is you can use Nvidia Inspector, and click on "Show Overclocking" on the bottom right

You can set up custom fan profiles in Afterburner/Precision so that it ramps up the fan % depending on the temps it hits.
m
l
December 10, 2011 4:30:10 PM

gmcizzle said:
Stock voltage is just what the cards defaults to. You can change the voltage to anything you want up to 1.15v, although I wouldn't go above 1.125v for 24/7 and that's only if temps are below 80c. What core clock you can get stable depends on the voltage and your individual card. Mine may take 1.1v to hit 900mhz core, while yours may do it with less or more voltage. Shader clock is linked to the core clock, and is always twice what the core clock is. Memory clock doesn't really make much difference in game performance, and can make the GPU unstable when everything else is overclocked, so I would just keep that at stock. To check what your stock voltage is you can use Nvidia Inspector, and click on "Show Overclocking" on the bottom right

You can set up custom fan profiles in Afterburner/Precision so that it ramps up the fan % depending on the temps it hits.

Will do! I'll get back to you guys with more data/info once I try all this out.

m
l
a c 77 Î Nvidia
December 10, 2011 4:32:08 PM

I use the Guru3D custom version (Beta 9) of Afterburner
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=2816

I'm using mostly twin 560 Ti's in recent builds, overclocked to 1000-1020 Mhz ....highest temps I have seen are 82C.

i suggest checking the reviews and trying to match their settings.
m
l
December 11, 2011 3:57:12 PM

Just wanted to update you guys. After setting up my custom fan settings in msi afterburner, my computer stays at 26 when I'm not gaming. When I do game, Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3 sit at 45-53

The only game that pushed it past that was Battlefield 3, and it hit 55-63 (the highest it reached all day, and it didn't sit at 63. Would go back to 55-58 range). This of course, is IMO a big difference from the 80 I was hitting yesterday. So I think that pretty much solves my problem. Unless you guys think these new numbers are still off for the Galaxy GTX 580 models.

m
l
December 11, 2011 4:22:38 PM

Nope, that sounds about right. What are the fan speeds while at those temps?
m
l
!