MOBO Splash Screen - What If It's Not There?

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Many of you were helpful recently in helping me select my components for my first build. I went with the following:

ASRock A75M MOBO
AMD A8-3870K CPU
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Case
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W PSU

I've been following a NewEgg video that takes me through the steps to build a computer. After installing the CPU, heat sink, a video card, and RAM the guy has you temporarily hook up the PSU and a monitor and jump the power "prongs" to start things up as an interim check point.

On the video he gets a MOBO splash screen (along with a few error messages since he doesn't have an operating system installed yet) and he's happy. I did it and I get no such splash screen - the CPU fan starts whirling but that's it. Am I screwed???

A couple of thoughts:

1) As I mentioned the guy on the video installs a video card and then connects the monitor via HDMI to the card. I'm not installing a video card and plugged my old monitor into the old-fashioned video port. Would that make a difference?

2) He was using a different brand of MOBO than mine. Is it possible that some MOBO's just don't have a splash screen?

Thanks for any help!

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Some motherboards have a default splash sceen and I think some just show the boot sequence and you have to go in to the Bios to select slash screen at boot up.

Does your MB have integrated video? If not, you need to install a video card.

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Hmmmm, well, I was getting a completely blank screen - no activity at all, like it wasn't even turned on.

As for the video, no, the MB doesn't have integrated video but the CPU does (at least that's according to the research I did and the gracious input from some contributors to this board).

Wolfshadw

Titan
Specifically which ASRock A75M motherboard did you purchase and which graphic port did you connect when trying to boot?

There seems to be an issue where either the default graphic port is not the on-board graphics of the motherboard/CPU and you must use a discrete graphics card (just for the build) or the default graphics port is only the VGA output.

-Wolf sends

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks for the thoughts.

The Asrock is an A75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. Hope that gives you enough info.

When booting I simply plugged my old monitor into the VGA port (I think that's the correct name for it - it's the old fashioned video port that everyone used before HDMI etc.) on the MOBO.

One other thing they said I'd hear would be a beep from the little speaker attached to the audio header. I didn't hear that either.

It sounds like I might be OK but just have to complete the built and then try to run the video drivers on the CD that came with the MOBO? If I can't get an image, though, I'm not sure how I can change the video output.

Maybe it'll all just happen but just a little concerned I have a bad part or something.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looking at the reviews for that motherboard, it sounds like the motherboard defaults to looking at the PCI-E bus for graphic information. Temporarily install a graphics card and attempt to boot the system again to see if you get the BIOS or Motherboard splash screen.

-Wolf sends

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

That sounds like a great possibility! I've got an old graphics card (I hope not TOO old) and I'll give it a try.

Thanks!