No MOBO Splash Screen - Am I in Trouble?

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Many of you were helpful recently in helping me select my components for my first build. I went with the following:

ASRock A75M MOBO
AMD A8-3870K CPU
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) RAM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Case
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W PSU

I've been following a NewEgg video that takes me through the steps to build a computer. After installing the CPU, heat sink, a video card, and RAM the guy has you temporarily hook up the PSU and a monitor and jump the power "prongs" to start things up as an interim check point.

On the video he gets a MOBO splash screen (along with a few error messages since he doesn't have an operating system installed yet) and he's happy. I did it and I get no such splash screen - the CPU fan starts whirling but that's it. Am I screwed???

A couple of thoughts:

1) As I mentioned the guy on the video installs a video card and then connects the monitor via HDMI to the card. I'm not installing a video card and plugged my old monitor into the old-fashioned video port. Would that make a difference?

2) He was using a different brand of MOBO than mine. Is it possible that some MOBO's just don't have a splash screen?

Thanks for any help!

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Well, I think all is OK but for the life of me I can't tell you why.

As I mentioned I wasn't getting anything popping up on the screen when I stopped mid-build to check everything. After trying several different suggestions (none of which seemed to make a difference) I went ahead and completed the build. Whatever the problem was seemed to solve itself somewhere along the way - Windows is installed and I see no issues so far.

I'm still curious as to why I wasn't getting the post but I guess it's not so vital now. :)

Thanks for the comments!