Sign in with
Your question

How to upgrade graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2011 1:15:19 PM

Hello, I'm fairy computer stupid especially when it comes to hardware. My question is, from what I've been told, you can't just simply buy any graphics and put it in a motherboard. So how do you know what graphics card to get?
I have no idea what motherboard I have nor do I know how to find out. I do, however, know that I have an ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card if that helps at all.

I'm also having the same problem with memory sticks

More about : upgrade graphics card

a c 175 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 1:26:39 PM

I am sure you didn't build that system yourself. You must have something like Dell, HP, Acer, etc. If so, which model is it? If no, you may check the box or manual of the motherboard and tell me what the model is by finding it.
December 10, 2011 2:02:25 PM

Oh right, it's a gateway dx4200 - 09
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 2:18:11 PM

The CPU will bottleneck most GPUs you put in it. What games do you play? (if you plan on playing games, more like, what do you plan on doing) Also, you will need a new PSU. As for the RAM, if you have it, you know what it looks like. There should be two clips, one on each end on of the slot the RAM fits into. Undo those clips by just pulling them back, align the RAM, and push it into place. That's basically what you would do with the GPU too. Just, there is only one clip. After you install the GPU, screw it in the back. After that's all done and it is in the machine, install the GPU drivers off the website. After that, disable to iGP in the BIOS and call it a day.

Hope this helped! :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 2:35:09 PM

refillable said:
Here http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-dx4200-09/4507...

By seeing the specification, I think it is not worth it to upgrade anything and It is better to get a new system.

Yeah, but if he just wants to play thing like HL2, or just some some extra basic graphics work, it may be a good upgrade for him.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 2:42:57 PM

Confusing spec:
Expansion Slot(s) 1.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Processor - Socket AM2,
4.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x PCI Express x16 - DIMM 240-pin,
1.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x PCI Express x1,
1.0 (total) / 2.0 (free) x Memory,
0.0 (free) x PCI
I'm guessing you don't have a slot to install a video card.
If you already have 4GB of memory, 4 more won't help.
Save your $$$
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 2:45:20 PM

Could you link your board?
December 10, 2011 2:54:06 PM

I have no idea how to link my board.. i'm sorry for seeming so incompetent. Computer hardware is a foreign language to me.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 2:54:27 PM

HostileDonut said:
Yeah, but if he just wants to play thing like HL2, or just some some extra basic graphics work, it may be a good upgrade for him.

Oh. Perhaps 6570 or GT 440.
December 10, 2011 2:58:45 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that. The problem I'm having that is causing me to want a new graphics card and/or memory sticks is that I like having multiple programs running at once. .nothing too major usually just itunes and firefox with 4+ tabs open and I also like to play games like WoW and some of the newer stuff without having to have lag/slow down
a c 212 U Graphics card
a c 194 V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 3:04:41 PM

Download a tool like Belarc Advisor, it will determine your hardware specs

December 10, 2011 3:18:40 PM

Ok, I downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2011 8:44:55 PM

I believe WoW is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent, right? Your CPU is pretty slow. But, I would suggest a GTS 450 maximum if your board can put one in it.
!