Your question

PSU heating problems help!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 25, 2012 1:28:06 PM

Hi all,

I'm a new user here, and would like to ask for your help is possible!

My current specification on my computer is:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T
Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
and PSU 700W EZCool Tornado

The problem I am having is that, my computer seems to be overheating a lot - and I'm not sure why. This problem has only started happening over the last few weeks, where the fan has gotten really loud, and the temperature soars up to 62 degrees..

Spoiler
Hardware monitor AMD ADL
Voltage 0 0.95 Volts [0x3B6] (VIN0)
Temperature 0 62°C (143°F) [0x3E] (TMPIN0)

I did have to replace the PSU over Christmas as it blew a fuse somewhere, however I have not had this problem before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

More about : psu heating problems

May 25, 2012 8:24:52 PM

Did you look inside your PC now? Maybe there's too much dust accumulated inside CPU cooler, preventing normal airflow?
May 25, 2012 8:38:25 PM

ok first off what is getting 62 degrees? The CPU? Secondly what fan is making a lot of noise the CPU fan?

Your computer is telling you whats wrong with the loud fan and high temps and the fuse that blew. on a hunch, If its your CPU thats so high and the noisy fan is the CPU cooler then quickly get a new one before you kill your CPU. Make sure to use some Artic Silver or equivalent on the cpu before you put on the heat sink, very thin and even coating. If it is your CPU at those temps then I would not power up your computer until you get a new CPU fan.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2012 8:45:45 PM

The temperature of what "soars to 62 degrees"? What fan has gotten loud?

Looks like you replaced a junk psu with another junk psu. You get what you pay for. If you had gotten a quality psu, it likely wouldn't have blown, and if it had, it would have been under warranty.
May 26, 2012 12:52:02 PM

sinip said:
Did you look inside your PC now? Maybe there's too much dust accumulated inside CPU cooler, preventing normal airflow?

It seems fine to me, although I have removed the dust from the outside of the casing.

Quote:
ok first off what is getting 62 degrees? The CPU? Secondly what fan is making a lot of noise the CPU fan?

Your computer is telling you whats wrong with the loud fan and high temps and the fuse that blew. on a hunch, If its your CPU thats so high and the noisy fan is the CPU cooler then quickly get a new one before you kill your CPU. Make sure to use some Artic Silver or equivalent on the cpu before you put on the heat sink, very thin and even coating. If it is your CPU at those temps then I would not power up your computer until you get a new CPU fan.

Supposedly the CPU - I used a "CPUID Hardware Monitor" program, (not sure how to post a screenshot) - however the CPU temperature did go up to 62degrees, and right now it is at 49degrees. :/ 

Also, sort of new of replacing stuff on a computer, would I just remove the fan, and replace it with a new one (if it is the CPU fan that's is dead?)

Quote:
The temperature of what "soars to 62 degrees"? What fan has gotten loud?

Looks like you replaced a junk psu with another junk psu. You get what you pay for. If you had gotten a quality psu, it likely wouldn't have blown, and if it had, it would have been under warranty.

Is the PSU I have that bad? :/  Did not realise that... It was part of a package where I got the PC from, and as it died, I replaced it with the same one, not knowing this info^.

Thanks for your help!
May 26, 2012 12:58:36 PM

SurferL said:
It seems fine to me, although I have removed the dust from the outside of the casing

Perhaps a closer inspection is in order, particularly between CPU fan and heatsink. A loud fan is either indicative of the fan going bad or, more likely, heavily obstructed airflow.
May 26, 2012 1:15:22 PM

I just took a look inside of the computer, and the main source of the heat seems to come from the PSU - and the fan in the PSU doesn't to be doing a lot (can't feel much air flow from the PSU).

The main 'loud' noise I can hear comes from the CPU fan, however that seems to working fine - and I'm not sure what the problem is with that fan :/ 

Quote:
Perhaps a closer inspection is in order, particularly between CPU fan and heatsink. A loud fan is either indicative of the fan going bad or, more likely, heavily obstructed airflow.

What would I be looking for? The CPU fan seems to be working fine - just a lot louder for some reason D:
May 26, 2012 1:46:41 PM

SurferL said:
What would I be looking for?

Anything that wasn't there when it was shipped, ie gobs of dust. Don't know what cooler you're using, but I remove the fan and clean it with compressed air and some wipes, and blow out the heatsink with compressed air as well... with a vacuum on the other side to collect at least some of the crap that's expelled.
May 26, 2012 6:59:09 PM

I'm not entirely sure how to remove the CPU fan without breaking anything :/  Is there a tutorial where I can see how this is done?
May 26, 2012 7:13:24 PM

SurferL said:
I'm not entirely sure how to remove the CPU fan without breaking anything :/  Is there a tutorial where I can see how this is done?

Is there a computer shop or friend that can help? If not it should have 4 screws mounting it to the CPU. If it is making loud noise and your CPU is getting that hot your fan is not working and you should get a new heatsink.
May 26, 2012 7:42:12 PM

http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/phenom-2-cnq/cooler-125w...

I believe my CPU fan is like that ^

However, when I took my computer apart, I also saw that fan working... ?

(Also, I bought this computer from DinoPC, which has a 3 year warranty help sort of, however if I can fix this problem myself, it would save a lot of time - especially transporting the PC to the company).
May 28, 2012 10:03:13 PM

Okay, I took apart the CPU fan, cleaned out all the dust which was there, and reapplied some thermal paste onto the CPU and reattached the fan.

However, the CPU fan is still extremely loud, any tips this time round? :( 
!