Powered usb hub problems won't boot

tomcat_37

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hello,
I have an XP Dell 5150, and a home-built Linux system with a Neo-4 motherboard. At practically the same time, both computers hav e started to refuse to boot with their generic usb powered hubs installed. These hubs have been installed for at least a month. The hubs are completely different looking, bought from different vendors, months apart. One, is an inline 10 port, the other a traditional 7 port. Removing hub power, and reapplying after bios boot is complete, is necessary on both machines. The failure on the Linux Neo-4 is reported as DRAM failure, (long beeps) before the bios flash screen can appear. The Dell's power on button flashes yellow periodically, and a sound like a fan blade banging is heard in unison. The Dell also never gets to light up the video to report POST codes, or anything.

Coincidence?

If I were paranoid, I might think this is a symptom of a badly executed trojan, that activated worldwide on a certain date, in all generic powered USB hubs built with cyberwarfare chips. Of course, if that were true, the web would be overloaded with reports of this problem. I don't see that, as of yet. However, very weird the problem started exactly the same time, on such different machines, with different powered hubs?!@#

Robert Holmes

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Install the empty hub into the usb socket, there will no trouble booting up . then install your ubs devices to the hub. next time it will boot fine. if you disconnect the hub make sure you follow this procedure before plugging the multi hub in. Bingo