XFX Radeon HD-6870 why does it show 750 Video Ram?

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Might be a dumb question but it's supposed to have 1Gb but it is only showing up as 750 in dxdiag

Also, I plugged in both 6 pin power connectors, do I need to use both or just 1?

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

i think you are using some kind of heavy windows such as vista 64 bit that use more aero than win 7 or there is problem of your bios chipset setting to pci/pgd any way no problem at all just run it lol

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I just built this almost 2 days ago. I am using Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. I did not change any of the bio's settings is there a way to get my ram up to 1GB for my card? my MB is a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 and processor is AMD Phenom II X6 1100T

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
use this go bios chipset go fo maximum dvmt set it to 128 to 1024mb hope it can help you other wise no problem at all your window is suing more ram of your gpu plus ram
see your my computer properties it show you less ram than you added but no problem
to your pc its normal to all pcs or you can change your win7 64bit to 32 bit you can see
the difference but if you using heavy software and games then you have good cpu + gpu=profession no problem at all lol

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
First off, yes, you need to use both PCIe powerplugs.

As to the amount of memory on the card, where in DXdiag are you reading that it only has 750 MB available and how much system memory do you have?
Download CPU-Z to check that you have the PC up and running as to spec, you can use this to check the amount of memory on your video card as well.

Make sure you plug all PSU connectors needed for the GPU. If it isn't, then this is probably the cause. So you must to put it properly. If You are really sure that it is fine then:

Maybe Windows is a great company. But sometimes their program are glitchy about detecting hardwares. If you download GPU-Z maybe you will be happy to see the results.

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
The only plugs I have attached to my video card are the 2 6 pin connectors. I didnt see anything else to attach. I will check out cpu-z right now and report back

edit: I forgot I have easytune6 is this good or is cpu-z better? If it is better should I remove easytune6 and get cpu-z? Btw, easytune6 says I have 1050mhz for my memory

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
1 other question, on CPU-z it says that my ram is in slots 3 and 4 is that right or should I change them on my mother board? (this is under SPD on CPU Z) also, what is a good program for monitoring my cooling for my pc?

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Don't worry it doesn't have anything to do with your card, it is just Microsoft's DxDiag that have issues with Graphic Adapters with 1GB of Dedicated VRAM and 3.8GB Shared RAM (For textures) AMD allocates by default 3822MB of Shared RAM.

Since it is glitched, any value above 4GB turns it back to 0.
Do the math : 1024+3822=4846 4846-4096=750
It gives an "Approx. Allocated Memory : 750 MB" On my card it says 748 MB
That is why all AMD Cards in the HD4xxx, HD5xxx, HD6xxx series have this issue with DxDiag.
GeForce Cards with TurboCache over 3GB have this issue too...

Also Microsoft is aware of this issue : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022

I hope they release shortly a fix since some games uses DxDiag to check GPU compatibility...

Good luck! :)

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Wow, thank You! Any word on my question above this post

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Yes, if you have a AMD CPU, slots 3 and 4 Makes the RAM access faster thus giving more speed... But if it is a Intel CPU with some kind of special Motherboard, slots 1 and 2 gives more speed... You can always try slots 1 and 2 and see the Clock speed and the latency by using a Benchmark/Info tool like AIDA64...

For temperature sensors, you can use CoreTemp for CPUs and use GPU-Z for GPU temps...

Also with the 6-Pin question :
Yes, as far I know it, the card needs alot of Wattage thus needing two 6-pin connectors. (Better to use two separate one than using two in the same cable...)

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thank you again. I guess I have one other quick question. I have the Antec 300 gaming case and my mother board is the hard drive led for ga-990fxa-ud3 by Gigabyte. For whatever reason I cannot get the HDD LED light to work. I have it plugged into the right connectors. Any idea? I tried a google search but found nothing. The power, reset, front LED all work just not the HDD LED

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514&Tpk=ga-990fxa-ud3

click on the top right picture and zoom into the bottom left. Look at the blue section (2 prongs) and the HDD LED attached to the case the + and - are one unit. Unlike the front panel LED which are seperate. Meaning that I cannot splut the + and - as they are one connector.

This might help
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-990FXA-UD3/Manual/210502?page=68

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Just to let you know I have tried flipping the plug did not work and also tried using the sleep LED which did not work (go figure)

Also, not sure if anyone hs the Radeon 6870 HD but when I right click the catalist control center icon it lists my video card 4 times.

1. AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
2. AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
3. AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
4. AMD Radeon HD 6800 series

is that normal?

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Yes it is normal, lol you are worring too much about your (new?) computer. But it is good to ask questions about subjects that you don't understand. :)

It is normal since an HD 6870 can output to (I think) 3 to 5 screens depending on the sub-brand of the card. My HD 6570 has only 3 Outputs so it says it 3 times...

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
O wow,

Yeah, its a lot of fun building this stuff. I am in seminary atm so other than learning Hebrew and a lot about the bible this is my only other real hobby. I play a little blizzard games and elder scrolls but thats it. I dont know anything about cars, and not into sports but building this pc (my third one, the second one I built was a little over 5 years ago) was a lot of fun.

Ashadelo

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

:bounce:

Ok, I just checked out the bios settings and saw nothing for the HDD LED or even the fornt pannel LED. However all the other options where there such as the USB, audio, etc.

Is there a way to test it out, maybe a program that could detect if something is faulty with my mother board HDD LED? BTW, for my HDD (I have no SSD) it is placed in the

0 - Master
0 - Slave
1 - Master
1 - Slave
2 - Master - HDD
2 - Slave - DVD Burner
4 - Master
4 - Slave

Not sure if having it in the 2nd slot for the SATA matters or not.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Idk which one is your HDD but it doesn't matter with the LED, for testing the LED, it is easy, just use a small button-cell battery (just like the one in the motherboard to keep CMOS data) and use a wire to connect both ends to the LED and the Battery, if it doesn't work, then it is probably your LED that is faulty... The Motherboard has not a lot of chance being faulty since if it were, all the other LED's would also not light up. Except if you scratched your motherboard or you made a screw fall into that place...

Carl John

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

its gfx problem i too used to have that type of problem but after i replaced that gfx card with my previous one the problem went
and you may also feel that your graphic card has lower performance than it should be so better get a new one