Can applying 3V damage a sound card?

likhin

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Hi all,

I have a sony vaio laptop, and I installed a PC based oscilloscope program. For testing, I applied a 3V signal to the mic input. A crackling sound is heard from the speakers. After that It feels like audio input sensitivity is decreased. Can 3V damage the audio card?. How can I check is there damage of sound card? A help from anyone is highly appreciated.
My sound card is realtek HD

likhin

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Thanks for ur reply. I know 3V is not the usual voltage range of a audio input. But I thought there will be some over voltage protection circuit inside the card. What I want to know it, is it possible to partially damage a sound card( In my case reduced sensitivity)?

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yes absolutely, While the inner components that make up electronic hardware usually either work or don't work It's not unheard of for a stressed inner component (transistors, resistors, capacitors etc.) to have their value changed as a direct result of stress (IE improper voltage, heat, improper grounding, etc.) This changed value can cause issues which might manifest in a myriad of ways including reduced sensitivity.

In your case reduced sensitivity seems to be logical since the area you fed the over-voltage too leads directly to the circuitry responsible for that sensitivity.

I'm sure you suspect this already anyway. I wish I could give you a different answer.