Sign in with
Your question

Help with a New AMD FX Build

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2012 1:07:30 AM

I disassembled my current PC to sell it with my old Phenom II dual core, Asus 760G mobo 500 Watt CM PSU that I had lying around. so here's the rundown.

Parts I have on hand already.

CPU: AMD FX 6100 (Oc'd) 3.6 GHZ

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990 FXA UD3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Corsair TX V2 750 Watt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And possibly my Radeon HD 6770 (not sure if the buyer will want it)

My budget should be about $400 max. I'll need Case Ram and a GPU possibly. The case I want is a Coolermaster Storm Sniper or a CM Haf 922 I think 8GB is more then enough ram for me at 1600 MHZ and i'm not sure if I want a XFX 6950 2gb or wait for the new HD 7850s I wanted some opinions. Thank you.

More about : amd build

February 9, 2012 3:13:09 AM

You can flash the 6950 to a 6970! :)  LinusTechTips has on Youtube has a how to video on it!!
m
l
February 9, 2012 3:18:57 AM

your 6100 is SLOWER than your Phenom II.

m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2012 3:49:51 AM

ScrewySqrl said:
your 6100 is SLOWER than your Phenom II.

You should try and make up lies that have some resemblance of truth if you expect anyone to actually believe them
m
l
February 9, 2012 5:11:27 AM

BuBzXXL said:
You can flash the 6950 to a 6970! :)  LinusTechTips has on Youtube has a how to video on it!!

Don't count on it though, the chances of that on a non-reference board is slim.
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:20:39 AM

for the GPU i would say sapphire 6850 1gb is more than enough for your needs even at singles.

for ram go with G.SKILLS ripjaws/ripjaws X those red ones, they look nice with AMD.

for case check out nzxt phantom or its mid towerr 410 or something, if you can get a red/black one it would be nice.

if you need a cooler then don't look further than Noctua NH-D14, people say it's an over kill for a cooler but the cooling it gives is on another stage, of course saying you have a nice case that fits with it
m
l
February 9, 2012 6:43:11 AM

I think the HAF 922 is a better case IMO has better cooling looks bigger and I just like the design of it. I do like the Ripjaws I was thinking about them and they match the red LED Casefans inside the 922 I forgot to mention I have a Hyper 212+ that Im happy with and I was thinking to go 6850 but I heard when you crossfire them they get microstutter?
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:14:30 AM

well the nzxt phantom has good cooling imo but not sure about it's mid tower counter-part.

plus it looks nice with amd = black/red
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:18:31 AM

but 922 doesnt have dust filters.i have a 922 and is clogging my cpu cooler.i wish i had not sacrifice haf x for 922.
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:24:10 AM

serialkiller said:
but 922 doesnt have dust filters.i have a 922 and is clogging my cpu cooler.i wish i had not sacrifice haf x for 922.

Dude this is over 8 days old :pfff:  WHY ARE YOU NECROING TOPICS?
m
l
February 17, 2012 7:44:10 AM

It's ok. 8 days is not nerco post
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:00:28 AM

Pyree said:
It's ok. 8 days is not nerco post

I can understand that what i don't understand is why this is his fourth time bringing up old topics over 3 days old one of which was solved :pfff:  Especially when the op's have not returned, :o  I understand some take a while to be solved (one poor guy recently was looking for an answer for 7 months and just recently got it fixed :ouch:  ) I'm not sure if he isn't looking at the dates? Or hoping to bump up these old topics to get his post count up? It just seems strange to me that with all the new topics being posted that he was bumping such old ones. So what is considered a necro here then? Just for future reference.
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:08:30 AM

Try 30 days.

Relax. User is still "Youngster". I will give him a friendly reminder for not answering topic which is obviously too old.

If he is really necro threading, I will not hesitate to ban user.

By the way, thank you for reporting.
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:17:51 AM

Pyree said:
Try 30 days.

Relax. User is still "Youngster". I will give him a friendly reminder for not answering topic which is obviously too old.

If he is really necro threading, I will not hesitate to ban user.

By the way, thank you for reporting.

No problem lol i'm no youngster but new here :p  So i can understand not knowing all the rules (and necro bumping is not shown in the forum rules) I just know from past experiences on other boards that necroing is a major taboo with some. I mentioned to him earlier about bumping old topics here :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/334693-31-1500-modeli...

And he loled me :pfff:  And it wasn't just a bump but also a mod wanna be post. I only noticed it as i posted in it and it showed up lol And it was solved already (i'm a slow typer so my post came after he picked a best answer :o  )

OP sorry i've gotten off topic on your thread. Thanks again Pyree for clarifying it.
m
l
February 17, 2012 8:20:19 AM

Ok, I'll closed the other thread. Thank you.

I'll wait for OP to return a BA. If not, I think another mod or I will close this thread and give a BA after about 30 days.
m
l
!