Sign in with
Your question

Scrambled Telephone Recording

Last response: in Networking
July 8, 2005 8:46:19 PM

I have an Intel Ambient 56k Modem which has a Mic and Headphone output on the modem. The Headphone output is routed to my Audigy 2's Line In port and and the Micrphone is left redundant since the modem is only Half Duplex - so instead I leave my microphone plugged into my Audigy 2 and the Phone Dialler simply uses the Audigy 2 as the preffered input device while the dial tone and stuff is routed through the modem's headphone socket.

I can make phone calls successfully but when I start recording them by selecting the Analogue Mix from the Recording control the telephone convo after the dial tone gets scrambled with a static sound. How can I get around this scrambling with my current setup! During the recording I changed the input to Microphone and the telephone conversation resumed as normal so it's obvious some clever scrambling device on the modem which prevents phone calls from being recorded.

How can I get around it and successfully record telephone conversations as MP3 files? (If it makes any difference I am in the UK and my Telephone Company is Telewest).

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
July 11, 2005 12:38:53 PM

Never tried what you're doing..

but have you tried a phone line filter?
July 11, 2005 7:15:51 PM

What is that, how will it benefit me and how do I add it into my current circuit? Are these availible for use in the UK on Telewest lines?

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 11, 2005 7:44:42 PM

It's something you should be able to pick up at any local electronics place.. I'm in the US so I'm not that familiar with your setup over there.

A phone filter takes out the noise in the background. I wonder if your audigy card is more sensitive and picking up disturbances?

It might be that you have a bad mic you're using with the card.. it's hard to say.
July 12, 2005 10:48:56 PM

The mic is working perfectly. The entire setup works perfectly and the static noise only occurs when I press the record button on any program recording from the Analogue Mix. When i'm recording and the Microphone is selected I make a telephone call and it comes out perfectly. However during the recording as soon as I switch the source to Analogue Mix (Which includes Line In Port) then the static plays and scrambles the recording as if it was some copy protection feature like those on audio CDs.

UK setup is similar to the US setup just different shaped telephone sockets. Instead of a small see through square we have a white rectangular plug with the spring on the side of the plug.

How much would a phone filter cost and where would I place it in my setup. Just to recap my setup is as follows:

Telephone Line -> Modem. Headphone output on modem -> Line in Port on Audigy 2 soundcard.

The microphone socket on the modem is left redundant and the Phone Dialler application in Windows XP is instructed to use the Audigy 2 which is specified in he Sounds and Multimedia Control Panel as the prefferred device for Voice Recording and Audio Input. I cannot seem to be able to use the Microphone input on the modem itself anyway -Phone Dialler seems to wish to default to the Audigy 2 even when I instructed it to use preffered device, which thus was set to the Modem line #1!!!!

Any more ideas people??

!